Soul-Calendar, Week 29

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2007

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

      Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the SCALES (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 9  *

      Sich selbst des Denkens leuchten

      Im Innern kraftvoll zu entfachen,

      Erlebtes sinnvoll deutend

      Aus Weltengeistes Kräftequell,

      Ist mir nun Sommererbe

      Ist Herbstesruhe und auch Winterhoffnung.

      The Glowing Light of Thinking

      Within oneself powerfully to enkindle,

      Life's meaningfulness interpreting

      Out of the World-Spirit's Power-Source,

      Is to me Summer's inheritance,

      Is Fall's Rest and also Winter's Hope.

      This week's mantra:

          The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing self-consciousness cause our being to widen: thinking found itself able to solve seemingly-insoluable mysteries of life, and in our feelings, many wishes we had given up on, we saw as possible to realize. This week, we should feel this growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless in life; giving us a feeling of a restful pause and an expectation of good in the coming Winter.

      Sunday, October 21st. Moon Pisces. Ursula (dignitary with 11,000 maidens imprisoned and executed by the Huns).

      Monday, October 22nd. Moon Pisces.  1811 Franz Liszt born.

      Tuesday, October 23rd. Moon Aries. Ignatius.

      Wednesday October 24th. Moon Aries. Raphael (the Archangel).

      Thursday, October 25th. Moon Taurus. Full Moon. 1806 Max Stirner born.

      Friday, October 26th. Moon Taurus. Thaddeus (found in Matthew's Gospel).

      Saturday, October 27th. Moon Gemini.  Sabina.

        Bright JUPITER is in the southwest at sunset, above brilliant red Antares, the Heart of the Scorpion.
         The planet MARS rises in the East before midnight, to the left of the stars of Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, at its greatest brilliancy as it reaches opposition to the Sun over the next few months. During this time it will appear to stay in the same area of stars, as it does its 'retrograde loop': it will be back where it is right now, next to the stars at the foot of Castor (one of the Twins of Gemini) at the winter solstice, and there again at the vernal equinox. Mars will rise about an hour earlier each month, so it will be visible in the evening sky all winter.
          Once the moon has passed full, it will be seen close to Mars--- next Sunday and Monday nights.
         Just before sunrise, VENUS can be seen as a brilliant 'morning star' in the East; dimmer, yellowish SATURN is to the right of it. Both are beneath the Lion's Heart, Regulus.