Week #26 (Michaelmas)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

      Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from September 8th through Oct. 12th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the VIRGIN (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 2 6  * (Michaelmas)

      Natur, deine mütterliches Sein,

      Ich trage es in meinem Willenswesen;

      Und meines Willens Feuermacht,

      Sie stählet meines Geistes Triebe,

      Dass sie gebären Selbstgefühl,

      Zu tragen mich in mir.

      Nature, your mother-like Being,

      I carry you in my Will-Essence;

      And my Will's Fiery Might,

      It steels my Spirit-Drive,

      That this bears Self-Feeling,

      To carry myself in me.

      This week's mantra:

         The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousne ss instead of the Nature(outer) -consciousness we have in summer.

      Last week this developing self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone, so that the Light which within could be shed on the otherwise dark outer world.

      This week is the mood of Michaelmas verse itself---the developing ego-consciousness we have at this season we can feel is the Being of Nature itself, and we carry this into our own Wills; then, the will can give 'steel' or 'backbone' to the drives of our conscious human spirits, so that they have a stamp of Self-feeling; and if we flow with this, then, we have the experience of a second 'Self' we carry within our ordinary selves.

      THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

      Sunday, September 30th. Moon Gemini.  Hieronymus, died 420, Christian Church teacher.

      Monday, October 1st. Moon Gemini. 1386 Founding of the University of Heidelburg.  1847 Annie Besant born.

      Tuesday, October 25th. Moon Cancer. Frumentius (spreader of Christianity in Ethiopia in the 4th Century). 1892 Ernst Renan died.

      Wednesday October 3rd. Moon Cancer. Last Quarter. Dionysius the Aeropagite, comrade of Paul. Jairus (in Matthew's Gospel). Simplicius.

      Thursday, October 4th. Moon Leo. Marcianus (spreader of Christianity in Egypt in the 4th Century).1226 Francis of Assizi died.

      Friday, October 5th. Moon Leo. Placidus (bringer of Christianity to Sicily in the 6th Century). 1582 The Gregorian Calendar became established.

      Saturday, October 6th. Moon Leo.  Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Angela (who converted Francis of Assizi to Christianity).

      PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY:

        Bright JUPITER is in the southwest at sunset, above brilliant red Antares, the Heart of the Scorpion.
         The moon can be seen near the yellowish-reddish planet MARS, both rising in the East, about midnight.
         Just before sunrise, VENUS can be seen as a brilliant morning star in the East; dimmer, yellowish SATURN is below and to the left of it.