Prometheus

  • Sarah Ford Elliott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2007
      Dear Learned Anthropops,

      I am hoping that at least one of you is going able to save me a bit of time in research:

      My Class are Class 5 this year, and in my summer preparations I have had this inkling to do a
      play based on the story of Prometheus. The more I look into it the more I am convinced that
      it is the right thing. One piece of the jigsaw is missing , however.

      Can anyone tell me something about the spiritual significance of Prometheus? I am sure
      Steiner must have said something about him. I'm sure I could find it out myself eventually if,
      that is, I wasn't also trying to research Botany, Decimal Fractions, Irish Geography etc. etc.!

      Any help would be most gratefully received!

      Yours,

      Sarah FE
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
        You can try this link if you want.

        http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Dates/19041007p01.html

        There's other stuff on Prometheus at RS Arhives.  Just enter the
        word "Prometheus" into RS Archives' search engine and you'll see a
        number of matches.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 7:06 PM
          *******Sorry to take so long to reply, but if you're still working on it
          (summer's not over yet!), Prometheus was the Greek "Lucifer." Just as
          Lucifer caused us to open our eyes and know good and evil, Prometheus gave
          Man fire, the fire of the Gods that made them immortal, and he was punished
          for it as was Lucifer. In his story there was also the connected tale of the
          origin of woman, Pandora. It's the Greek version of Eve and the eating of
          the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. A good part of the story can be found in
          Hesiod's Theogony, the Greek Genesis, which can be found online here:
          http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/hesiod/theogony.htm

          Just as the Judeo-Christian Scriptures tell of the Fall and then, after
          long ages, the Redemption--- for instance, in the Paradise Play and then the
          Shepherd's and King's Plays---- so Prometheus' story goes down through ages
          until, in one of Hercules' 12 adventures, he frees the imprisoned benefactor
          of Mankind, just as the Christ redeemed Lucifer.

          I would think the story of Prometheus' "Fall" would be good to cover at
          the start of a school year, and if possible a play of how he is freed by
          Hercules done toward the close of the year. 5th grade is where we make the
          transistion from Greek mythology to Greek history, as the children are just
          coming squarely down to earth from the world of pictures.

          >From: "Mathew Morrell" <tma4cbt@...>
          >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [steiner] Re: Prometheus
          >Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:17:34 -0000
          >
          >You can try this link if you want.
          >
          >http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Dates/19041007p01.html
          > <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Dates/19041007p01.html>
          >There's other stuff on Prometheus at RS Arhives. Just enter the
          >word "Prometheus" into RS Archives' search engine and you'll see a
          >number of matches.
          >

          >--- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Ford Elliott" <sarahfe@...>
          >wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Learned Anthropops,
          > >
          > > I am hoping that at least one of you is going able to save me a bit of
          >time in research:
          > >
          > > My Class are Class 5 this year, and in my summer preparations I have
          >had this inkling to do a
          > > play based on the story of Prometheus. The more I look into it the
          >more I am convinced that
          > > it is the right thing. One piece of the jigsaw is missing , however.
          > >
          > > Can anyone tell me something about the spiritual significance of
          >Prometheus? I am sure
          > > Steiner must have said something about him. I'm sure I could find it
          >out myself eventually if,
          > > that is, I wasn't also trying to research Botany, Decimal Fractions,
          >Irish Geography etc. etc.!
          > >
          > > Any help would be most gratefully received!
          > >
          > > Yours,
          > >
          > > Sarah FE

          Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
          win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink