Re: Heads Up: Steiner's "Esoteric Lessons"

  • happypick2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3 5:08 PM
      Dear Robert and Friends,

      I cannot even begin to supply logical responses to these notes,
      although I did wish to take this chance to insert a few comments
      regarding thoughts derived from studying Steiner which may prove of
      some help:

      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

      > To All:
      >
      > Readers' alert: Some excerpts, in English,
      > from GA 266 have recently appeared at the eLib.
      > This volume contains notes taken in the
      > "esoteric lessons" that Steiner gave in the
      > first Anthroposophical esoteric school. This
      > school was conducted circa 1904-14, associated
      > first with the German section of the
      > Theosophical Society and then with the newly
      > founded Anthroposophical Society.
      > "Milk is good for men because it's connected
      > with an animal's life process and animals give
      > it voluntarily. Whereas meat obtained by
      > killing animals is bad for occult development,
      > and so are all salts." [This, of course, was
      > said before "factory farming".]

      Steiner speaks of milk as "a perfect food" should one source of
      nutrition be called for, although he did not specify that milk is to
      be used solely while ignoring other nutrition. I think this is to be
      found in his "The Effects of Occult Development Upon the Sheaths of
      Man and Mankind"

      > "It's especially important to avoid alcohol in
      > every form." [This sounds pretty categorical;
      > one might wonder why this advice was not given
      > in *KoHW* and *OS*. Should we assume that
      > there might be exceptions to this rule?]

      I cannot recall the specific work(s) where avoiding alcohol is most
      definitely to be adhered to unless a reference may be in Steiner's
      "Lectures to Doctors" or "Spiritual Physiology" - the reason one is
      strongly advised to avoid all alcohol intake is because alcohol takes
      the place of the human ego, the human "I" by working in the
      bloodstream and this is seen in the pinkish flushing of the alcohol
      consumer's face but more importantly, one is acting without his/her
      own ego.

      > "It's inadvisable to eat meat and fish." [also
      > not legumes and mushrooms]

      A reference to not eating fish is to be found in "The Effects of
      Occult Development on the Etheric Sheaths of Man and Mankind".
      > -- Some surprising miscellany, such as the deep
      > importance of smells:
      >
      > "A being of a higher or lower nature lives in
      > every odor. Very high, god beings live in
      > incense; they draw us up directly to God. The
      > lowest kind of beings are incarnated in musk
      scent."

      Somewhere among Steiner's works is to be found his words to the effect
      we must not ever use perfumes. Also, in speaking of the miasma and
      odors found in some swampy areas, Steiner mentions Luciferic or
      Ã…hrimanic influences often find a fertile atmosphere for their work.

      > -- More profound miscellany:
      >
      > "AUM. One wards off bad influences when one
      > says it in the right way; it connects man with
      > the creating Godhead, the three Logoi. The evil
      > beings who want to tear men away from the
      > Godhead can't stand it."

      AUM, as I think most of us realize, is the deeply spiritual word used
      during the Ancient Indian civilization and perhaps elsewhere under
      certain definite circumstances.
      "One can find a wrong idea behind every
      > disease, if one traces it back."

      Some of us are doomed after our physical death to spend some time in
      the spiritual worlds spreading disease among mankind on earth. This
      may possibly be found in "The Inner Being of Man and the Life Between
      Death and Rebirth". Perhaps it is in Steiner's "Cosmic Metamorphosis"
      where he speaks of those working among the very ill, and I think this
      was in regard to the highly fatal flu epidemic of 1917-18] those who
      gave no thought whatsoever to becoming ill from a contagious disease
      very seldom became ill from it, while fear, an Ahrimanic trait,
      allowed the illness to imbed itself within the human being so effected.

      > "The rejection of spiritual wisdom is a sin
      > against the Holy Spirit."
      This one may be in Steiner's "Building Stones to an Understanding of
      the Mystery of Golgotha".

      I most sincerely apologize for this disjointed response while thinking
      perhaps I might be able to shed a glimmer of light upon very important
      knowledge.

      Blessings,

      Sheila

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3 6:24 PM

        Here is what Steiner has to say on milk:

        "Among oriental peoples there is a certain way of practicing the art of healing in which the doctors attach the greatest importance to the nourishing of their own physical body. (78) In places where the old spiritual life still exists, there are those who have become healers by following a diet consisting exclusively of milk. They are quite clear that because they exclude everything else they gain certain healing forces within themselves, especially in the treatment of so-called mental illnesses. They have their special methods. They know for certain that when they only take milk they then develop quite definite forces."

        Rudolph Steiner
        http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Places/Berlin/19051104p01.html