gene expression

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2007
      I found a quote by Steiner that I would like to add as a postscript
      to the piece I wrote a couple weeks ago on the human genome; how it
      would be incapable of expressing the wholeness and unity of the human
      organism, if there wasn't an intelligent structure preprogrammed into
      our DNA; and how genes would start generating random and chaotic
      mutations. But because a regulatory power works within the cell,
      these mutations do not occur except in cases of cancer and/or certain
      deformities in which the DNA code becomes scrambled. Geneticists are
      trying to understand why our bodies don't start randomly mutating,
      but rather generate cells that are needed where they're needed, when
      they're needed and not, for instance, generate mutants where they're
      not supposed to be.

      There's enough DNA in a single skin cell to totally reconstruct an
      entire body, from the toes to the brain. Yet only a small percentage
      of that DNA is activated; about 3-5%. Otherwise your skin might
      mutate into something other than skin; conceivably it could produce
      organ tissue where skin cells are supposed to be. Highly specialized
      cells like muscles use even less of their DNA than organ cells, even
      though skin cells possess the entire human genome, as well. Each
      cell is very selective when it comes to activating genes during the
      replication phase.

      "Then there arises, in the wrong place, an abnormal tendency to
      produce a sense-organ; and this manifests itself as carcinoma — as a
      cancerous growth. It is only when we can look in this way into the
      human organism that we can perceive that carcinoma represents a
      certain tendency, displaced in respect of the systems, to the
      formation of a sense organ."
      Rudolph Steiner

      "Spiritual Science and the Art of Healing, II"
      http://wn.rsarchive.org/Medicine/19240721p01.html;mark=581,43,49#WN_ma
      rk

      Also:
      "When the ego becomes weak, part of the ego itself is left behind in
      the body when the astral body and ego depart from the physical body
      and ether body at night during sleep. These fragments left behind
      begins to form an independent organ, it wants to create independently
      as is the nature of the ego in man. It wants to create an entirely
      independent organism of its own. It would take over the whole body if
      left uncheckedÂ…"