Re: footnote to life/depression & melancholia-Capricorn

    Message 1 of 17 , May 10, 2007
      Thanks for the informative posts, Starman and carynlouise. Great. I
      always wanted an astonomical reading. Spot on!
    • carynlouise
      Message 2 of 17 , May 11, 2007
        Great post on Capricorn Dr Starman – thanks. It is so true
        especially saying Capricorn needs to express the natural melancholy
        of earth which they feel intensively. This expression shows truly
        great creative minds who achieve a balance with the elemental forces
        of air, water and fire together with the earth to produce great work.

        Capricorns like Goethe, Leonardo da Vinci, Dante and Blake have left
        us much evidence of this great creative mind at work.

        Sir George Trevelyan and Edward Matchett in their work `Twelve Seats
        at the Round Table' wrote development exercises for the Zodiac and
        they say in Capricorn `wisdom of experience is here achieved' and
        the purpose of Capricorn's exercise is `learning how to extend
        nature's achievement'.

        Nature is the primal creative force and many of the forms and
        patterns which she uses are so far in advance of the mechanistic
        quality of most of man's inventions that they can be a continual
        source of revelation to us.

        The `treasure of nature's knowledge' is to be found in the simplest
        mechanisms as well as the balances inherent in whole bodies. The
        lively and precious quality of life ever defies our expression as we
        attempt to represent organic systems.

        Yet it is this quality which illuminates the detailed study of
        natural phenomena and can enter into our creations.

        This exercise focuses on the elemental forces like – air, water,
        wind, earth, fire and with contemplation on these elements tuning
        into how their influence and presence permeates, encompasses and
        interacts the life space.

        Capricorn, this strange mythical beast half fish, half goat – what
        does our imagining make of this? We can swim down to the depths of
        the ocean, we can leap up the crags to the mountain peaks. We have
        potential mastery of the whole compass of earth experience from the
        deep unconscious to the heights of aspiration. Sequel to the Archer,
        we would expect to reach an achievement which prepares us for
        illumination. The sublimated energies are shaping higher man. Not
        only must he overcome and accept the dying of the lower self in
        Scorpio, but he must achieve mastery over the full range of the
        emotional and mental world, having all acts, all passions in his ken
        and having risen above their temptations. Hence rightly this is an
        Earth sign, completing the triplicity with Taurus and Virgo.

        The wisdom of experience is here achieved. The developed soul has a
        monk-like quality, in which the consciousness is turned inwards in
        preparation for the great change and awakening. The very shape of
        the glyph suggests this introspection by turning back upon itself.
        Thus it will be a lonely path. The ruler planet is Saturn. Chronos
        holds the latent energy of growth, the life potential.

        Capricorn stands opposite to Cancer and we have found that opposite
        signs are complimentary to each other. Thus Cancer was the birth
        sign of individualized man into the limitation of earth
        consciousness. Capricorn is the birth sign of man into cosmic
        consciousness. Here the highest type is Guatama Buddha, renouncing
        the world for higher illumination.

        Cancer ushered man into the world of senses. In Capricorn this world
        has become a prison out of which he must escape to be reborn as super-
        man in the world of Spirit. `Oh God I could be bounded in a nutshell
        and count myself the King of infinite space'.
        Through contemplation and turning inward he remembers his divine
        origin and becomes conscious of it.

        The high contemplative nature, looking on the passing world like the
        melancholy Jacques, turns his vision inward, waiting for the coming
        dawn. Here is the image of the monk in prayer upon his knees in his
        secret sanctuary. Does this give a clue as to why, in the starry
        archetype, Capricorn is associated with the knees? The full range of
        human experience is known and mastered and the advanced soul under
        Capricorn, attuned always to the Christ within, can safely move
        through the depths of the emotional life (the ocean of the psyche)
        and among the Luciferic temptations of higher thinking (the
        mountain).

        Thus through soul trail and ordeal he has qualified to receive the
        Coming Light. His whole soul is now directed innerly to the goal of
        illumination: `I have conquered the world'. Thus the character is
        that of the introvert, pondering, working upon himself, and though he
        may achieve high places of power and renown, he will rarely be
        satisfied or really at home in them for his soul had undertaken the
        inner quest.

        (In dedication to Norman Davidson whom I did not know but sounds a
        mighty fine man).

        A Capricorn Knights contribution to the Round Table is;

        Conscious Control, in each new moment linking needs and opportunities
        with resources, and making certain that actions and results are those
        required. This knight builds consciously on all previous
        achievements of man and nature, employing scientific data and new
        perceptions to the full. He strives for mastery over all of his own
        thoughts and emotions and looks back continuously to check that
        intentions have been realized. With each backwards-glance this
        knight gains additional bearings and wisdom on which to build and
        redirect efforts. It can be a highly intellectual pursuit.

        So Matthew this is your Sun, your individuality, self assurance and
        self reliance.

        Further your;

        Moon is in Aries
        Mercury is in Capricorn
        Venus is in Capricorn
        Mars is in Pisces
        Jupiter is in Scorpio
        Saturn is in Taurus
        Uranus is in Libra
        Neptune is in Sagittarius
        Pluto is in Virgo
        Moon's North Node is in Pisces
        Moon's South Node is in Virgo

        If you like to know what the placements mean, just shout. I'm sure
        between Dr Starman and myself we can look at one at a time. It is
        good to have the time of birth; the ascendant, midheaven and house
        placements are worked out from this time.

        Nice weekend all.
        Caryn

        :)
        Message 3 of 17 , May 11, 2007
          ******* Just one correction....

          >Capricorns like Goethe, Leonardo da Vinci, Dante and Blake have left
          >us much evidence of this great creative mind at work.

          ******* Goethe was a Virgo (with Scorpio rising): Leonardo was Aries or
          Taurus, depending on which birth date you accept (old style calendar, before
          the Gregorian, or after). I vote for Taurus myself.

> [...]
          >redirect efforts. It can be a highly intellectual pursuit.
          >
          >So Matthew this is your Sun, your individuality, self assurance and
          >self reliance.
          >
          >Further your;
          >
          >Moon is in Aries
          >Mercury is in Capricorn
          >Venus is in Capricorn
          >Mars is in Pisces
          >Jupiter is in Scorpio
          >Saturn is in Taurus
          >Uranus is in Libra
          >Neptune is in Sagittarius
          >Pluto is in Virgo
          >Moon's North Node is in Pisces
          >Moon's South Node is in Virgo
          >
          >If you like to know what the placements mean, just shout. I'm sure
          >between Dr Starman and myself we can look at one at a time. It is
          >good to have the time of birth; the ascendant, midheaven and house
          >placements are worked out from this time.

          Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.
          It�s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07
        • carynlouise
          Message 4 of 17 , May 12, 2007
            --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...> wrote:

            ******* Just one correction....

            Capricorns like Goethe, Leonardo da Vinci, Dante and Blake have left
            us much evidence of this great creative mind at work.

            ******* Goethe was a Virgo (with Scorpio rising): Leonardo was Aries or
            Taurus, depending on which birth date you accept (old style calendar,
            before the Gregorian, or after). I vote for Taurus myself.

            Dr. Starman

            ***

            Thanks for your reply Dr Starman. The interesting thing in Sir George
            Trevelyan's & Edward Matchett's work in 'Twelve Seats at the Round
            Table' they were not talking about the above people's Sun Sign but the
            place of their North Node. Except Blake where his North Node is in Leo
            and his Capricorn is in Venus. Possibly they placed Blake with the
            other greats to show the romance which Capricorn may experience and
            evident in Blake's work?

            The Moon's North and South Node's are extremely interesting in a
            birthchart and from my understanding these Nodes represent : South what
            one is moving away from - North is what one is moving toward.

            It is also thought the South Node is the entry point at birth and the
            north Node is the exist point after earth life.

            Another thought is the Moon's Nodes represent the Karma brought with
            and the Karma resolved.

            The Moon's Nodes are also known as the North: Dragon's Head and South:
            Dragon's Tail. And we read Fred Gettings;

            Dragon's Head
            the north node of the Moon, the point where this body crosses the
            ecliptic to begin its northward journey. The term, originally Caput
            Draconis in traditional astrology (though with several variants), was
            derived from the link made between the Sphere of the Moon and the
            celestial Dragon forces: the Dragon was imagined as being curled
            around the Earth, in symbol of the lunar sphere. It is said that the
            eclipses were explained in terms of this celestial dragon swallowing
            the Sun and then regurgitating it. The Dragon's Head is undoubtedly a
            most powerful nodal point in the horoscope, though it is one usually
            made efficacious only by transits and progressions. It is said to have
            the equivalent nature of Jupiter and Venus, though some astrologers
            insist that when touched by directions it releases into the life of the
            native benefits due from karma.

            So, it is interesting the authors of the 12 seats remark on the great
            creative mind's north node (except Blake!)

            It is interesting the un-clarity on Dante's Sun Sign. If we had to
            look at how money affected his life we might be able to confirm Taurus.

            The birthcharts of:

            Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : 28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832 : Virgo
            Capricorn: North Node

            http://sidesearch.lycos.com/?page=0&query=goethe+birth%
            2Bchart&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftmsyn.wc.ask.com%2Fr%3Ft%3Dan%26s%3Dju%26uid%
            3D2c636cae2c636cae2%26sid%3D3c636cae2c636cae2%26o%3D0%26qid%
            3DD430871705978FE8CF9E60E68F421069%26io%3D8%26sv%3D0a300588%26ask%
            3Dsite%253Atripod.com%2Bgoethe%2Bbirth%252Bchart%26uip%3Dc636cae2%26en%
            3Dte%26eo%3D7%26pt%3DThe%2BVertex%2Bastrology%2Buranian%2Bcosmobiology%
            2Bmidpoints%26ac%3D18%26qs%3D121%26pg%3D1%26u%3Dhttp%3A%2F%
            2Fmembers.tripod.com%2Fjunojuno2%2Fvertex.htm

            Leonardo da Vinci : 15 April 1452 – 2 May 1519 : Aries
            Capricorn : North Node

            http://www.astrodatabank.com/NM/daVinciLeonardo.htm

            Dante Alighieri : 14 May/13 June 1265 – 13/14 September 1321 : Aries?
            Taurus?
            Capricorn : North Node

            http://www.astrologyinstitute.com/Articles/chart_dante2.htm
            http://www.astrologyinstitute.com/Articles/chart_dante1.htm

            William Blake : 28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827 : Sagittarius
            Capricorn : Venus
            North Node : Leo

            http://www.dominantstar.com/3William_Blake.gif

            Best regards
            Caryn
          • carynlouise
            Message 5 of 17 , May 14, 2007
              ... and Rudolf Steiner's North Node is in Capricorn ...

              now there's a thing amazing!

              Dr Starman; I've come across three conflicting birth dates for
              Rudolf -

              1. 27 February 1861
              http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA008/English/RPC1961/GA008_sketch.html

              2. 2 February 1861
              http://www.rsarchive.org/Links/out_frame.php?
              PHPSESSID=03df36df7ed64d505614731993359c6a&ID=124

              3. 25 February 1861
              http://www.rsarchive.org/Forums/view.php?
              bn=eliboard&key=1020471720&first=&last=1007776636&here

              I have always thought the 27th - Pisces. Of course the 2nd would
              make him an Aquarian.

              mmm maybe the 2nd is a typo error?

              It doesn't change the North Node position though;
              http://www.khaldea.com/kldaephem/1800/feb1861gmt.shtml

              (just like to add here, my huge respects to the Rudolf Steiner
              Archive - you are great)
            • carynlouise

                Message 7 of 17 , May 14, 2007
                  *******Yes, it's a typo, Feb. 2. And the 25th date is because some people
                  later found out the 27th was the day Steiner was baptized, so they figured
                  he must have been born a few days earlier: but actually he was so weak when
                  born that they gave him an emergency baptism the same day. He cast his chart
                  himself and had the 27th as the day. 13 degrees Scorpio rising, by the way.
                  As anyone could tell by the eyes and eyebrows.

                  The North Node takes about a year and a half to go around the zodiac, so
                  it's in the same sign for a month and a half.

                  >From: "carynlouise" <carynlouise@...>
                  >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [steiner] Re: Life & Capricorn
                  >Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:25:14 -0000
                  >
                  >... and Rudolf Steiner's North Node is in Capricorn ...
                  >
                  >now there's a thing amazing!
                  >
                  >Dr Starman; I've come across three conflicting birth dates for
                  >Rudolf -
                  >
                  >1. 27 February 1861
                  >http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA008/English/RPC1961/GA008_sketch.html
                  >
                  >2. 2 February 1861
                  >http://www.rsarchive.org/Links/out_frame.php?
                  >PHPSESSID=03df36df7ed64d505614731993359c6a&ID=124
                  >
                  >3. 25 February 1861
                  >http://www.rsarchive.org/Forums/view.php?
                  >bn=eliboard&key=1020471720&first=&last=1007776636&here
                  >
                  >I have always thought the 27th - Pisces. Of course the 2nd would
                  >make him an Aquarian.
                  >
                  >mmm maybe the 2nd is a typo error?
                  >
                  >It doesn't change the North Node position though;
                  >http://www.khaldea.com/kldaephem/1800/feb1861gmt.shtml
                  >

                  >(just like to add here, my huge respects to the Rudolf Steiner
                  >Archive - you are great)

                  Live Hotmail.
                • carynlouise
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 14, 2007
                    --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...> wrote:

                    *******Yes, it's a typo, Feb. 2. And the 25th date is because some
                    people later found out the 27th was the day Steiner was baptized, so
                    they figured he must have been born a few days earlier: but actually he
                    was so weak when born that they gave him an emergency baptism the same
                    day. He cast his chart himself and had the 27th as the day. 13 degrees
                    Scorpio rising, by the way. As anyone could tell by the eyes and
                    eyebrows. The North Node takes about a year and a half to go around the
                    zodiac, so it's in the same sign for a month and a half.

                    ~~~

                    Thanks for clarity on Rudolf Steiner's birth date. Goethe is also
                    Scorpio rising - the Eagle :)

                    What a glorious day the 27th Feb 1861 was that this humble but
                    magnificent man Rudolf Steiner was born.

                    Gloria.

                    ~~~
                  • carynlouise
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 15, 2007
                      (My apologies if it seems im flooding the board!)

                      Sir George Trevelyan & Edward Matchett `Twelve Seats at the Round
                      Table' Zodiac Development Exercise

                      Taurus

                      Undifferentiated Receptivity

                      Purpose of exercise: Learning to put all of life's experiences to
                      more positive and meaningful use.

                      `Little Jack Horner
                      Sat in a corner,
                      Eating his Christmas pie.
                      He put in his thumb
                      And pulled out a plum,
                      And said, What a good boy am I'

                      Jack Horner seems a little overpleased with himself, but nothing of
                      significance can be achieved without collecting and valuing the
                      fruits of the past, and making them secure for further use. It is
                      particularly important that the highlights of one's experiences and
                      attainments become the stepping stones to new levels of endeavour and
                      achievement.

                      Reflect on your whole range of life experiences and attainments and
                      choose twenty or so moments from this whole pageant of life, when you
                      were conscious of a greater richness of content, a higher level or
                      quality of insight and/or attainment than at other times. Hopefully
                      certain of these moments will be associated with actual personal
                      achievements, but it is neither necessary nor desirable that all of
                      them should be.

                      Discriminate very carefully, replacing some potential candidates with
                      others until you possess a mental snap-shot album of twenty items
                      that you believe to be especially important. In making your final
                      selection take care that these memories are not all of one kind.
                      They should be a balanced feast of the fruits of life.

                      Having made your selection dwell on them long and often. Write down
                      your thoughts and feelings about these matters and keep extending the
                      depth of detail and the intimacy of observation. Do not concern
                      yourself with how this material is to enter into new creations that
                      you will produce. Simply select your fruit and let it find it's own
                      way into the `Christmas pudding'.

                      Whenever you decide to repeat this exercise, make a determined effort
                      to locate examples and aspects of your work and experiences where
                      some new `high' has been savoured, especially where this is in an
                      altogether new direction. But do not then neglect the earlier
                      treasures. Simply process these further until you gain yet further
                      insights concerning them, and a renewed sense of their importance and
                      value. Always take care to continue the processing until there is a
                      clear knowledge of what you are valuing.

                      Taurus's contribution to the Round Table-

                      Intelligent Openness, to self, to other people, the total problem
                      situation and whole range of life-experiences to find help, energy
                      and inspiration for the task in hand. No experience is too
                      insignificant and no realm too vast, exalted or obscure to be
                      obtained in the work which this knight has to perform.

                      ***
                    • carynlouise
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 28, 2007
                        Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : 28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832 : Virgo
                        Capricorn: North Node

                        Leonardo da Vinci : 15 April 1452 – 2 May 1519 : Aries
                        Capricorn : North Node

                        Dante Alighieri : 14 May/13 June 1265 – 13/14 September 1321 : Aries?
                        Taurus?
                        Capricorn : North Node

                        Rudolf Steiner : 27 February 1861 : Pisces
                        Capricorn : North Node

                        --- I have been contemplating why we were shown the above great
                        people's North Nodes in Capricorn. Reading part of Alice Bailey's
                        Capricorn account in Fred Gettings Astrology; may add further -

                        Gate of Death - name applied to the sign Capricorn, sometimes to the
                        Sphere of Saturn. In esoteric astrology it is said that the soul in
                        its post mortem experience aspires to travel to the Sphere of Saturn,
                        which marks the boundaries of time, and it is almost certain this
                        association which gives rise to the term. Equally, since Cancer is
                        associated with the Gate of Birth, it is probable that, by virtue of
                        being the extreme polarity of this sign, Capricorn was by extension
                        associated with death, as the Throne of that Planet which marked the
                        end of time. (See, also Crocodile) In her account of esoteric
                        astrology, Bailey says that the sign Capricorn has been recognized down
                        the ages as the 'doorway into life of those who know not death'.

                        ****
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 6, 2007
                          Interesting to me as I also have the North Node in Capricorn.

                          >From: "carynlouise" <carynlouise@...>
                          >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [steiner] Re: Life & Capricorn
                          >Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:48:02 -0000
                          >
                          >Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : 28 August 1749 � 22 March 1832 : Virgo
                          >Capricorn: North Node
                          >
                          >Leonardo da Vinci : 15 April 1452 � 2 May 1519 : Aries
                          >Capricorn : North Node
                          >
                          >Dante Alighieri : 14 May/13 June 1265 � 13/14 September 1321 : Aries?
                          >Taurus?
                          >Capricorn : North Node
                          >
                          >Rudolf Steiner : 27 February 1861 : Pisces
                          >Capricorn : North Node
                          >
                          >--- I have been contemplating why we were shown the above great
                          >people's North Nodes in Capricorn. Reading part of Alice Bailey's
                          >Capricorn account in Fred Gettings Astrology; may add further -
                          >
                          >Gate of Death - name applied to the sign Capricorn, sometimes to the
                          >Sphere of Saturn. In esoteric astrology it is said that the soul in
                          >its post mortem experience aspires to travel to the Sphere of Saturn,
                          >which marks the boundaries of time, and it is almost certain this
                          >association which gives rise to the term. Equally, since Cancer is
                          >associated with the Gate of Birth, it is probable that, by virtue of
                          >being the extreme polarity of this sign, Capricorn was by extension
                          >associated with death, as the Throne of that Planet which marked the
                          >end of time. (See, also Crocodile) In her account of esoteric
                          >astrology, Bailey says that the sign Capricorn has been recognized down
                          >the ages as the 'doorway into life of those who know not death'.
                          >
                          >****

                        • carynlouise
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 7, 2007

                            From: "carynlouise" <carynlouise@...>
                            To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                            Subject: [steiner] Re: Life & Capricorn
                            Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:48:02 -0000

[...]

                            There's a thing! It is an interesting placement. Starman you right
                            to say we shouldn't discuss politics - it only gets everybody in a
                            tizz and we should leave it to the politicians - we'll find far more
                            answers in the heavens!

                            We should all try get on finding common ground in the Zodiac - maybe
                            Stephen's North Node is also in Capricorn! Matthew's North Node is in
                            Pisces - there's a thing! My North Node is in Gemini :) Now this
                            means .. erm what does this mean!

                            I realise in my Venus Transit post - the RS link talks about the
                            Transit but not the Venus consciousness. This link does:

                            http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA011/CM/GA011_c13.html;mark=218,22,27#W
                            N_mark
                            Cosmic Memory
                            The Earth and Its Future

                            I wonder if this has to do with the coming of the Sun in the vernal
                            equinox of Aquarius?