RE: [steiner] Thinking

  • My2Cents
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 17, 2007
      Bravo, Mathew. It seems to me Steiner very heavily stresses thinking in his "The Philosophy of Spiritual Activity" as well as in many of his works!

      Cheers!

      Sheila

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
        Agreed. If I may post again my first post here;

        Rudolf Steiner : Lecture Stuttgart, 14 November 1920:

        Rudolf Steiner called this Technizismen – Technicisms `Products of
        Technology' further defined as demonic elemental powers in
        technology.

        He foresaw human work stepping back and directing the actual work
        done by machines. As happening; in the early 1900, 79 million `horse
        power years' of energy were produced in Germany (the country has
        nothing to do with the subject, Steiner although born in Austria
        lived in Germany and gave most of his lectures there btw Hitler
        actually tried to bump Steiner off) These energies were controlled
        by humans, but in fact derived from machines.

        The energies expended in work are measured in units based on the work
        a horse does in a year. Germany was producing 79 million horse power
        years of machine energy per year. What does this really mean? It
        shows in comparison with the population figure for Germany that on
        average every single individual in Germany had a horse by his side.
        This means the inhabitants of Germany did so much work in the field
        of technology having a horse work for him all year long. The
        population then was @79 million and the energy used was 79 million
        horse power years. The work done by machines, all kinds of machines,
        therefore had the same effect as if every individual had a horse to
        work for him.

        When war broke out the horse power energy more than doubled and these
        energies were becoming quite independent of human beings. A point
        had been reached where human brains had created something outside
        themselves causing the forces of destiny to be surrendered to the
        powers that were active in the objects they themselves had produced.
        What is alive in those forces that work for them day by day? Look at
        these influences very carefully ..

        Before technology people looked at the phenomena in the world in such
        a way they perceived a certain number of elemental beings – this is
        called `superstition' nowdays. However, we know elemental `spirits'
        are indeed active in the phenomena of nature. Today people only see
        dry-as-dust prosaic natural phenomena.

        The modern intellectual approach that we call a scientific attitude
        came into being and within a relative short time humans became to
        depend upon machine `energy' just as formerly it had depended on
        natural phenomena. These machine forces and energies also exist and
        take effect independent of human beings, just as the forces of nature
        are independent of human beings. Rudolf Steiner called these demon
        elemental powers; Ahriman powers.

        He said today's `enlightened' minds will consider it superstitious to
        look for spiritual powers in technology and he said they have not the
        least idea that demonic spirits are active in the whole world of
        technology created by the human race. They work at an unconscious
        level, taking hold of the unconscious mind.
        Steiner said that human beings will not be inclined to accept this.
        In the first place those things are at an unconscious level and in
        the second place people feel it would superstitious to say demonic
        spirits are active in the machines they have produced. They are
        active nevertheless and it is said it is happening at a fast pace.
        And acts on the human will.

        The intellectualism of modern science does not enable people to gain
        immediate conscious awareness of the will. The danger is the
        Ahrimanic world will take hold of the human will and human beings
        will completely lose their bearings.

        Steiner follows this lecture with the Christ event. The Christ event
        that will happen in the first half of the 20th century to give human
        beings their bearings. The nature of the Christ event will be such
        that more people will be having objective experiences and will know
        that the Etheric Christ is walking on Earth. If people come to know
        this Christ power, if they let it enter into them they will find the
        right way of dealing with the forces of influence that come from the
        Ahrimanic powers.

        The greatest problem of our time is that people will slide into the
        Ahrimanic sphere without the support of the Christ force. When we
        speak of the Christ force we are speaking of something very concrete
        and positive that is entering into human evolution in the 20th
        century.

        -- Rudolf Steiner could see how technology was going to rapidly
        increase trying to make our spritual intellect dormant.