Thinking

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2007
      Not right now, but perhaps 100 or 200 years in the future, the
      explosion of technology in artificial intelligence will force the
      spiritual community to confront the issue of thinking. What is it?
      Does it have any value? Will we be better off sacrificing our human
      thinking to computer technology capable of performing certain mental
      tasks with greater power and efficiency?

      So much of the spiritual training at the Ranch was geared toward the
      elimination of thinking, i.e. prolonged meditations that would last
      for days ala Billy Bayber, resulting in the loss of selfhood,
      psychological disassociation, lessened will power, and depression.
      The mind, consequently, became blunted like a dull pencil in need of
      sharpening.

      Not only at the Ranch, but in the New Age community at large,
      thinking is demonized. Thinking is seen as something that
      hinders "oneness" with the cosmos, and should be eliminated.

      Rudolph Steiner, on the other hand, valued thinking and repeatedly
      stated it wasn't a barrier, but rather is the very essence of
      spirituality: the formless movement of consciousness. Our task
      isn't the annihilation of consciousness; it is to make our thinking
      stronger, clearer, more acute and more penetrating. In that way
      we're capable of seeing beyond the illusionary forms of reality that
      trick us into believing that the earth is hell, that life stinks, and
      that only the loss of selfhood leads to happiness and enjoyment.

      We can assume that the direction that the New Age community is moving
      in respect to thinking is in the opposite direction, away from a
      spiritualized vision of thinking and toward the extinction of
      thought. Computer technology will eventually make this goal of
      theirs very much possible
    • My2Cents
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 17, 2007
        Bravo, Mathew. It seems to me Steiner very heavily stresses thinking in his "The Philosophy of Spiritual Activity" as well as in many of his works!

        Cheers!

        Sheila

[...]

        No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
      • thepathofthesunflower
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
          Agreed. If I may post again my first post here;

          Rudolf Steiner : Lecture Stuttgart, 14 November 1920:

          Rudolf Steiner called this Technizismen – Technicisms `Products of
          Technology' further defined as demonic elemental powers in
          technology.

          He foresaw human work stepping back and directing the actual work
          done by machines. As happening; in the early 1900, 79 million `horse
          power years' of energy were produced in Germany (the country has
          nothing to do with the subject, Steiner although born in Austria
          lived in Germany and gave most of his lectures there btw Hitler
          actually tried to bump Steiner off) These energies were controlled
          by humans, but in fact derived from machines.

          The energies expended in work are measured in units based on the work
          a horse does in a year. Germany was producing 79 million horse power
          years of machine energy per year. What does this really mean? It
          shows in comparison with the population figure for Germany that on
          average every single individual in Germany had a horse by his side.
          This means the inhabitants of Germany did so much work in the field
          of technology having a horse work for him all year long. The
          population then was @79 million and the energy used was 79 million
          horse power years. The work done by machines, all kinds of machines,
          therefore had the same effect as if every individual had a horse to
          work for him.

          When war broke out the horse power energy more than doubled and these
          energies were becoming quite independent of human beings. A point
          had been reached where human brains had created something outside
          themselves causing the forces of destiny to be surrendered to the
          powers that were active in the objects they themselves had produced.
          What is alive in those forces that work for them day by day? Look at
          these influences very carefully ..

          Before technology people looked at the phenomena in the world in such
          a way they perceived a certain number of elemental beings – this is
          called `superstition' nowdays. However, we know elemental `spirits'
          are indeed active in the phenomena of nature. Today people only see
          dry-as-dust prosaic natural phenomena.

          The modern intellectual approach that we call a scientific attitude
          came into being and within a relative short time humans became to
          depend upon machine `energy' just as formerly it had depended on
          natural phenomena. These machine forces and energies also exist and
          take effect independent of human beings, just as the forces of nature
          are independent of human beings. Rudolf Steiner called these demon
          elemental powers; Ahriman powers.

          He said today's `enlightened' minds will consider it superstitious to
          look for spiritual powers in technology and he said they have not the
          least idea that demonic spirits are active in the whole world of
          technology created by the human race. They work at an unconscious
          level, taking hold of the unconscious mind.
          Steiner said that human beings will not be inclined to accept this.
          In the first place those things are at an unconscious level and in
          the second place people feel it would superstitious to say demonic
          spirits are active in the machines they have produced. They are
          active nevertheless and it is said it is happening at a fast pace.
          And acts on the human will.

          The intellectualism of modern science does not enable people to gain
          immediate conscious awareness of the will. The danger is the
          Ahrimanic world will take hold of the human will and human beings
          will completely lose their bearings.

          Steiner follows this lecture with the Christ event. The Christ event
          that will happen in the first half of the 20th century to give human
          beings their bearings. The nature of the Christ event will be such
          that more people will be having objective experiences and will know
          that the Etheric Christ is walking on Earth. If people come to know
          this Christ power, if they let it enter into them they will find the
          right way of dealing with the forces of influence that come from the
          Ahrimanic powers.

          The greatest problem of our time is that people will slide into the
          Ahrimanic sphere without the support of the Christ force. When we
          speak of the Christ force we are speaking of something very concrete
          and positive that is entering into human evolution in the 20th
          century.

          -- Rudolf Steiner could see how technology was going to rapidly
          increase trying to make our spritual intellect dormant.