Goethe quote?

  • John Massengale
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2007
      Goethe quote? In a discussion elsewhere, someone defending “the institution of science” has used Goethe as one of his props.

      Does anyone have a good quote from Goethe about the integration of science and spiritual observation, or something along those lines?

      John

    • thepathofthesunflower
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2007
        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, John Massengale <john@...> wrote:

        Does anyone have a good quote from Goethe about the integration of
        science and spiritual observation, or something along those lines?
        John

        Hi John

        I don't have a quote of Goethe along those lines as such but this link
        which is included in the 1 new link at the top of the board here talks
        about Goethe's (through Steiner) interpretation of Blood.

        One could say Blood is the science of spiritual observation?

        http://correiorosacruz.netfirms.com/anthroposophy.htm

        Regards
        Caryn
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2007
          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, John Massengale <john@...> wrote:
          >a good quote from Goethe about the integration of science
          > and spiritual observation, or something along those lines?
          > John
          Dear John,
          Fr "Goethe On Science" by Jeremy Naydler:
          p.23...Naydler summarizes in his intro: "As conceived by Goethe,
          science is as much an inner path of spiritual development as it is a
          discipline aimed at accumulating knowledge of the physical world.
          Rather than simply making new discoveries and propounding new theories
          on the basis of ever more refined techniques of physical observation,
          the aim of science is,for Goethe, to open the eyes and mind of the
          beholder of nature to what is spiritually at work within, or at root
          of, the observed physical phenomena. It therefore involves not only a
          rigorous training of our faculuties of observation and thinking, but
          also of other human faculties which can attune us to the spiritual
          dimension that underlies and interpenetrates the physical: faculties
          such as feeling, imagination, and intuition. Science, as Goethe
          conceived and practiced it, has as its highest goal the arousal of the
          feeling of wonder through 'contemplative looking' (Anschauung), in
          which the scientist would come 'to see God in nature, nature in God.'"

          p.116...Goethe:"None of the human faculties should be excluded from
          scientific activity. The depths of intuition(Ahnung), a sure awareness
          of the present, mathematical profundity, physical exactitude, the
          heights of reson(Vernunft) and sharpness of intellect(Verstand)
          together with a versatile and ardent imagination, and a loving delight
          in the world of the senses - they are all essential for a lively and
          productive apprehension of the moment."

          p. 71...Naydler:"Goethe aptly describes his method as a 'delicate
          empiricism'(Zarte-empirie)It is painstakingly attentive to the
          phenomena, and requires fromt eh scientist the discipline of always
          taking the lead from the pheomena, allowing them to speak, and
          silencing the scientist's own urge to rush into premature explanatory
          hypotheses. The Goehtean scientist seeks to participate in the objects
          investigated to such a degree that the mind makes itself one with the
          object, thereby overcoming the sense of separateness that characterizes
          our normal experience of ourselves in relation to the world."

          p.73...Goethe:"My whole method relies on derivation. I persist until I
          have discovered a preganant point from which several things may be
          derived or rather - since I am careful in my work and observation - one
          which yeilds several things, offering them up of its own accord. If
          some phenomena appears in my research and I can find no source for it,
          I let it stand as a problem. This approach has proven quite
          advantageous over the years. The origin and context of some problem
          might be impossible to discover; I might have to let it lie for a long
          time; but at some moment, years later, enlightenement comes in the most
          wonderful way."
          You may want to secure book! Good luck -NINA
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 11, 2007
            --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "thepathofthesunflower"
            <thepathofthesunflower@...> wrote:
            > One could say Blood is the science of spiritual observation?
            > Caryn
            Major gaps in my education! Faust on my 2007 reading list!
            Thanks for sharing - copied entire 25 pages - NINA
          • John Massengale
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 11, 2007
              Thanks, that's just what I needed.

              Is Jeremy Naydler an anthropop?

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
                Awesome Nina

                The writings on blood underlines the significance of Christ spilling
                His Blood upon the Earth when He was stabbed in the side by the Roman
                solider plus His Blood from His hands and feet which the Angels caught
                up in cups.

                The Etheric Blood of Christ remains upon Earth.

                Glory to God.
              • thepathofthesunflower
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
                  Thanks for this Nina. I've never had any direct writings on Goethe.
                  Wonderful words. I can see the same in Steiner.
                • Nina
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
                    --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, John Massengale <john@...> wrote:
                    > Is Jeremy Naydler an anthropop?
                    Dear John,
                    Naydler is described as a philosopher, cultural historian and gardener,
                    living in Oxford. Barbara Clow mentioned him in her Catastrophobia.
                    Wrote book, "Shamanic Wisdom in the Pyramid Texts:The Mystical
                    Tradition of Ancient Egypt"
                    (fr back cover - Until now,the Pyramid texts have been viewed primarily
                    as royal funerary texts that were used in the liturgy of the dead
                    pharoah or to aid him in his afterlife journey.JN argues that they are
                    mystical texts that speak of the experiences not of the dead but of the
                    living king.)He lists Steiner's Egyptian Myths in biblio.
                    Earlier book "Temple of the Cosmos"
                    (fr back cover - Temple is a profound exploration of an ancient
                    consciousness more in tune with the rythms of the earth, more open to
                    the internal dimensions of time and space, less cut off from the
                    secrets of life.)
                    Goethe book, he listed Goethean Science.
                    Also listed is his "How Caterpillars Acquire Wings"
                    No mention of his being an anthroposophist. NINA
                  • eurythmy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
                      Dear John,
                      There may be something for you in these treatises of Goethe quoted in  The Etherisation of the Blood,A Lecture By,,Rudolf Steiner, Basle, October 1, 1911, GA 130

                      Question: How are the words used by St. Paul, “to speak in tongues” (Cor. I: 12), to be understood?

                      Answer: In exceptional human beings it can happen that not only is the phenomenon of speaking present in the waking state, but that something otherwise present in sleep-consciousness only, flows into this speaking. This is the phenomenon to which St. Paul refers. Goethe refers to it in the same sense; he has written two very interesting treatises on the subject.

                      If ever they are in English, or French I would be interested to know.

                      Kind Regards,

                      Franky