Goethean observation

  • Duncan Fernando
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
      Sarah,
      I am not sure what Goethean observation is. I would
      be grateful if you could explain.
      Sena
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001

        Dear Sena:
        You asked:
        ,... what Goethean observation is.
        With the help of Ernst Lehrs, I will attempt to explain;

        Goethe believed the we can see ideas with our eyes because our 'eyes-of the-body are connected to our eyes-of-the-spirit.  Both are part of an integral whole but while the physical eyes work automatically, the spiritual eyes see only with the exertion of the will.
        His concept of the UR plant (archetype) was arrived at through the use of a phenomenological approach.  When we look at a machine, we may understand it by taking it apart.  When this is done to an organism, it has lost what Goethe called 'the spiritual band.'  He does say that both organic and inorganic entities have one thing in common; Their ideas can only be found by turning one's attention to the 'coming-into-being' of the object.
        As in a knife, Goethe would 'see past the thing' to the knife-maker's doing.
        Goethe himself developed a clear distinction between the two ways of observing the world-intellect (Verstand) and Reason (Vernunft).
        He says:
            "The Reason is directed to things in the course of becoming the Intellect to things that have become."

        Goethean observation is used in the teaching of the sciences in Waldorf schools.

        I hope this helps:)

        Shalom aleichem,

        Morgan

      • Sena Fernando
[...]