RE: [steiner] Steiner's Chestersonian Good News

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      ********I agree completely. I noticed that Edgar Cayce's readings
      recommended only Ouspensky's first book, Tertium Organum, NOT any of the
      later ones he did under Gurdjieff's influence; NOR did he ever recommend
      studying Gurdjieff himself. When you work with Tertium Organum it is obvious
      that Ouspensky had worked his way through to his own sources of knowledge,
      and had gone further than Gurdjieff; but apparently he thought he could work
      with the latter, tried to, and found over and over that Gurdjieff was trying
      to reduce him to a servant and so Ouspensky left him. The effect of
      Gurdjieff on him was a negative one. Ouspensky at the end of his life had
      lost the insights he was developing early in it. For that matter, I don't
      know of anything positive that derives from Gurdjieff at all---- certainly
      no schools, farms, medicine, eurythmy, etc., as with Steiner.

      Any suggestions for anthroposophy to study for the 12 Holy Nights?

      >From: "Mathew Morrell" <tma4cbt@...>
      >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [steiner] Steiner's Chestersonian Good News
      >Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:11:45 -0000
      >

      >The "good news" that Steiner brought to occultism was that the
      >kingdom of God is within, or in other words that the spiritual world
      >lies within us and that we have the capacity to access these inner
      >worlds directly through our organs of perception. Although a great deal
      >of work is required to illuminate our senses---so that they're
      >capable of perceiving the spirit world---the inborn capacity is there;
      >it's innate. If we participate in the evolutionary spirit of our
      >time (our Epoch) these innate capacities will naturally unfurl through
      >successive life times.
      >

      >Contrast Steiner's "good news" with the negativity we hear
      >when we read The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution, where
      >Ouspensky haggishly harps upon all man's inabilities and all his
      >weaknesses. You walk away from this work, which was written when
      >Ouspensky was under the spell of Gurdjieff's psychology, feeling
      >man's condition is futile. The book confirms that Gurdjieff had the
      >same effect on Ouspensky that Schopenhauer had on Nietzsche during his
      >student years: convincing him life is a "dim vast vale of
      >tears" nearly impossible to escape. Nietzsche outgrew this
      >adolescent type of pessimism very quickly through self analysis, but
      >also because his life force was very powerful. He could not be boxed
      >into Schopenhauer's nay-saying.

      Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
      cash!
      http://www.msnholidaychallenge.com/default.aspx?ocid=tagline&locale=en-us
    • Stephen
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        Durward Starman wrote:
        Any suggestions for anthroposophy to study for the 12 Holy Nights?
        Starman
        ==============

        Starman,
        Can you write a little piece (or point me to one) about the nature and
        definition of the "12 Holy Nights" along with their significance, power,
        etc? Then it might be easier to make a suggestion - for me at least.
        Much appreciated,
        Stephen
      • thepathofthesunflower
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          Any suggestions for anthroposophy to study for the 12 Holy Nights?

          Dear Starman

          Im going on holiday next week for three weeks :) nice break.
          But maybe I may suggest 'The Etheric Christ Consciousness and the union
          with Christ within ourselves'

          Well just a suggestion and thought.

          My Love
          Caryn
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
            >From: Stephen <celestial_vision@...>
            >

            >Durward Starman wrote:
            >Any suggestions for anthroposophy to study for the 12 Holy Nights?
            >Starman
            >==============
            >
            >Starman,
            >Can you write a little piece (or point me to one) about the nature and
            >definition of the "12 Holy Nights" along with their significance, power,
            >etc? Then it might be easier to make a suggestion - for me at least.
            >Much appreciated,
            >Stephen

            www.DrStarman.com

            *******Sure, probably the best place to start is the "Draumkvedet" or
            Dream-Song of Olaf Astesson (from Norway) and Steiner's lectures on it. It's
            an old traditional rhyme that has been Christianized but clearly has many
            pre-Christian elements of mythology in it: it tells of a man who falls
            asleep on Christmas Eve and sleeps all the traditional 12 Nights of
            Christmas and then wakes up from this out-of-body experience and tells all
            the people gathered in the church on Epiphany what he experienced in other
            worlds while out of the body.

            Steiner pointed to this as a survival of traditions about the old pagan
            initiations of mid-winter, where for instance the old earthwork of New
            Grange in Ireland was made to only be filled with the sun's light on the
            shortest day of the year, the time of the "death and rebirth" of the sun.
            He said that during these 12 Nights the spiritual world was closest to human
            beings, and suggested that groups take up a book to study intensively every
            night during this time, seeking the inspiration from the Spirit that can
            come most easily then.

            WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes � enter the Microsoft Office Live
            Sweepstakes http://clk..atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/