RE: [steiner] Anthroposophy and Dreams

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
      ******* I think Steiner de-emphasized dreams because many Theosophists were
      a bit obsessed with them, and because your dreams that you have before you
      set out on the spiritual path are jumbled nonsense compared to what they
      become once you are walking that path. He seems dismissive of them in his
      early writings and lectures for beginners, but read the last chapters of
      Knowledge of the Higher Worlds & Its Attainment: he takes quite a different
      attitude towards them for people who have been doing the exercises that
      transform your astral experience each night.

      >From: Seth Miller <cadoc1@...>
      >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [steiner] Anthroposophy and Dreams
      >Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:48:23 -0800 (PST)
      >
      >Hello all - I am not a new member to this list, but I am mostly a lurker
      >due to time restrictions (teaching and in grad school). I am presently
      >researching what anthroposophy has to say about dreams... and there is
      >surprisingly little for a subject so closely tied with subjects very well
      >represented in the literature (transformation of consciousness, different
      >states of consciousness, sleep, etc.).
      >
      >When I compare what little understanding I have of the anthroposophical
      >view of dreams with the variety of more modern dream-theories (Freud, Jung,
      >Perls, Boss, Hall, LaBerge, Grof, etc...), I am struck by what (at a
      >surface level) appears like a very weak or superficial approach to the
      >actual dream content. This is perhaps in part due to the repetitive
      >examples that Steiner uses when speaking of dream content, such as white
      >picket fences referring to rows of teeth, or slithering snakes referring to
      >the intestines.
      >
      >When I examine Steiner's view of dreams in relation to his more general
      >ideas of the transformation of consciousness, he seems to be working in an
      >arena that essentially all of the other above named theorists/practitioners
      >are unable to clearly access. But in terms of the ability of the other
      >theorists (in their various ways) to deal with the symbolism and
      >relationship of the dream content to the psychological states of the
      >dreamer, Steiner seems to pale in comparison. Is this just because this
      >aspect is of much less importance for the wider view that Steiner is
      >taking, and/or that he didn't have time to go into these details in the
      >'middle realm'?
      >
      >I was wondering if others on this list could give me some insight into the
      >above questions, and into the anthroposophical view of dreams in general.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >-Seth Miller

      Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version.�Join now.
      http://ideas.live.com