Re: [steiner] Re: Holy Nights Study

  • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2006
      Well, there were 2 lecture cycles on the Gospel of St. John, both in 1908.
      The most well-known ones were in Hamburg, in May 1908 I believe. I think
      they are available to read for free on the Steiner e-library, and they're an
      excellent lecture cycle for beginners. I have them in English and also the
      German original. That would certainly be a good choice to study.

      Just a note the St. John lectures are free and online.  I printed them out about three or more years ago.  Not sure if you can still print them out though.  Its worth trying.  I studied these when I started in anthroposophy they are great for beginners.  ~Chantel

      "The genuine practitioners of the love of and the search for wisdom will be but a small remnant... Those who belong to this small class have tasted how sweet and blessed a possession of philosophy is." Plato, The Commonwealth IV
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 15, 2006
        *******Unfortunately I remembered wrongly that the lectures on the Gospel of
        St. John (Hamburg, May 1908) are at the Steiner e-library. They are not
        there.
        We did them for the 12 Holy Nights in 2000, but members put summaries of
        each chapter here, not the text. You can find these in the group's Files
        section, messages #320 forward: if people would still like to do that
        lecture cycle, it might be interesting to see what members wrote about them
        6 years ago. But the lectures themselves are apparently not online.

      • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
          In a message dated 12/15/2006 9:43:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, DrStarman@... writes:
          *******Unfortunately I remembered wrongly that the lectures on the Gospel of
          St. John (Hamburg, May 1908) are at the Steiner e-library. They are not
          there.
              We did them for the 12 Holy Nights in 2000, but members put summaries of
          each chapter here, not the text. You can find these in the group's Files
          section, messages #320 forward: if people would still like to do that
          lecture cycle, it might be interesting to see what members wrote about them
          6 years ago. But the lectures themselves are apparently not online.

          That is just not cool.  Because I read and printed them out about four or five years ago!  I have recently noticed how much is unavailable online to print as well.  It depends on donations etc.  You can read many online lectures on elib but you can not print them out anymore.  That is discouraging for the Holy nights study.  I don't know we'll have to see what happens with that...  Chantel

          Ask the wild bee what the druids knew. ~Old English Adage
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 21, 2006
            ******* This year the will for doing the study together seems to be
            evaporating like last year. We're supposed to start Sunday night and no one
            is talking about it, saying if they would take a chapter to present or how
            else we will do it together.

            The purpose is to use the 12 Nights to deepen our understanding of some
            aspect of Spirit Science. Here we have an international communication tool
            to use. If you live far from an anthroposophic community, here is a tool
            that can enable you to communicate with like minds.

            With all Dr. Steiner made available, and all the possibilities of
            communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything people
            want to come together to do?

            Type your favorite song.� Get a customized station.� Try MSN Radio powered
            by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 22, 2006
              --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...>
              wrote:
              > communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything
              people want to come together to do?
              > Starman
              Dear Starman,
              All we have of 1908 series is the file Holy Nights summary selections.
              Seems lectures are already summarized. Am looking forward to reading
              each one, each Holy Night and I'm sure others are too. Another
              available selection might have provided easier participation. I was
              not offering this yr since have not read enough core materials. Hope
              nothing I've written is "out of step" with the harmony we are aiming
              for with the holidays. NINA
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 22, 2006
                ******* Well, it's easier when the book is online so everyone has a copy to
                read. I'll try to post some summaries of chapters, and I guess besides that
                and the summaries in our old Files section, folks will just have to each get
                a copy of the book. That's Dr. Steiner's lectures on the Gospel of St. John
                in Hamburg in May 1908. I have it in the original German and the English,
                but I don't have time to scan it all in. But I'll make some time to start us
                off, or rather those of us who receive the e-mails in real time, on the
                first night.

                >From: "Nina" <emeraldnina@...>
                >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [steiner] Re: Holy Nights Study
                >Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:52:27 -0000
                >
                >--- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...>
                >wrote:
                > > communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything
                >people want to come together to do?
                > > Starman
                >Dear Starman,
                >All we have of 1908 series is the file Holy Nights summary selections.
                >Seems lectures are already summarized. Am looking forward to reading
                >each one, each Holy Night and I'm sure others are too. Another
                >available selection might have provided easier participation. I was
                >not offering this yr since have not read enough core materials. Hope
                >nothing I've written is "out of step" with the harmony we are aiming
                >for with the holidays. NINA

                Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
                http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001