Authority and Rudolf Steiner

  • Jeff Auen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001

      Periodically someone new to these groups (or even older members) wonder why there is so much reliance on the work of Rudolf Steiner even in some of the more eclectic groups.  Putting aside the intent that most of these groups were started to study and use Anthroposophy and Rosicrucianism in  the quest of spiritual growth, I came across something of interest in the Gospel of St. Mark lecture cycle from 1910. In this lecture on the Jahve, Arbaism, the influence of the Buddha- Mercury Stream into Rosicrucianism (only Steiner could bring this together!) he states:

      "Consequently in Rosicrucian Spiritual Science we shall not fail to draw attention again and again to the highest spiritual knowledge attainable in our time. You need never accept blindly on trust anything said here or elsewhere, for in our Movement we never appeal to blind credulity. In your own intelligence and use of your own reason you have the adequate means of testing what you hear. .. Do not fail to put everything to the test. It is precisely where you come across incongruities or perhaps where the truth seems to be the opposite of what is stated, that on the ground of true spirituality blind faith cannot be allowed. Everything based on blind faith is bound to be sterile and stillborn.... Those in touch with Rosicrucian Spiritual Science know that whatever is said had been carefully tested." page 165

      I bring this up for those who may not see the full value of Steiner's work and desire to create freedom of the reader and student. He is never the ultimate authority or guru but he has demonstrated a totally unique capacity to bring back knowledge and wisdom from other realms that have stood the test of nearly 80 years.  What he offers is a way to create our own path and test the steps we take. I am not a Anthroposophist and rely on many different sources for my study and metaphysical research but inevitably I must  turn back to Steiner because virtually no one else in this century has experienced the depth and breath of  the so called spiritual worlds as he.  In the same way that only a handful understood Einstein and wanted to work with him early on, so it is with Rudolf Steiner. For most it is never a question of authority or blind allegiance, it's simply : where do you go for the greatest  insight and depth of knowledge on a given spiritual issue. The rest is up to us.

      Best of the Season,

      Jeff Auen