United Church of Religious Science and science of mind

  • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2006
      This church or movement is founded by a man named Ernest Holmes.  There are two institutions where Reverends are taught the science of mind.  One is in CA the other is CO.  Has anyone researched this movement?  Just a few of the quotes I've read of Holmes remind me of Steiner.  If someone knows more about this that would be helpful!?  ~Chantel

      "The genuine practitioners of the love of and the search for wisdom will be but a small remnant... Those who belong to this small class have tasted how sweet and blessed a possession of philosophy is." Plato, The Commonwealth IV
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2006
        My mom took me to a Religious Science meeting in the early 1990s.
        The sermon conveyed the same general message as the main text
        written by Ernest Holmes---that is, it emphasized the importance of
        positive thinking, the ability to influence reality through mental
        processes, that a monistic, omnipresent source of mind, or Universal
        Intelligence, manifests itself as the physical universe, that no
        such thing as good or evil exists, and that "God is All, All is
        God." Mix these tenets with new age jargon, pop psychology, and
        watered down Platonism, and you have Religious Science

        During the sermon I had to constantly resist the incredible impulse
        to jump through the third story plate glass window, in order to
        escape the hubris.

        Mathew Morrell
        www.kcpost.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
          Thanks for your input.  What is up with all of these groups claiming there is no evil?  I want to choke the life force out of them.  All of the American drones who listen Sylvia Browne for example.  The Hollywood favorite Hubbard people, Holmes, the new age milk toast, this woman named Doreen Virtue (omg).  They serve a purpose to the un-investigating seeker I suppose.  If they keep seeking they will find.  The only way we can effectively fight the darkness is having a healthy understanding of it.  I keep on looking outside of Anthroposophy for some other groups perhaps finding a place to serve outside of Anthroposophy but am finding no luck except for maybe one that being Shamanism.  The ancient myth based shaman attracts me with their wild ancient,atavistic eyes.  Chantel

          "The genuine practitioners of the love of and the search for wisdom will be but a small remnant... Those who belong to this small class have tasted how sweet and blessed a possession of philosophy is." Plato, The Commonwealth IV
        • My2Cents
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2006
            Dear Cheeseandsalsa,

            I'm glad you've brought this subject to our attention, and partly due to its having seemingly influenced a few Anthroposophists as well as others - especially others. I've lived in CA for a long time, watching various such "churches", "groups", etc., as they arrived on the scene, and this United Church of Religious Science and Science of the Mind is only one more among many thought processes the founder(s) may or may not feel sincere about. It is very easy to speak of one or another facet of Steiner's to promote the popularity/acceptance of this or that Movement, and while some are no doubt sincere, it seems one always finds a self-serving or erroneous ploy of some sort sooner or later. I've very often wondered why anyone would bother with such fringe outfits when the genuine Movement is right in front of our noses! Yes, Anthroposophy IS difficult, but it is not only based upon fact; it is safe.

            Along similar lines, it was a joy to read a local newspaper article in which the writer spoke of valid reasons to consume locally grown foods, and while the writer's stance dealt solely with economic issues, the fact remained this article was most definitely promoting growing and consuming one's locally grown foods as well as adapting one's lifestyle to one's local area in various other ways. This writer is totally unaware of Steiner's thoughts along these same lines and of course from a very different perspective - but what is so heartwarming is the fact that this sensible approach is far superior from a non-Steiner perspective. Am I correct in thinking this is yet another movement Steiner alluded to as a "future reality"? I might add my home is located in Monterey County, home of the source of the recent deadly spinach attack, where the spinach was grown while being fertilized by substances trucked in from from foreign sources.

            Blessings,

            My2Cents

            This church or movement is founded by a man named Ernest Holmes.
            There are two institutions where Reverends are taught the science of mind.
            One is in CA the other is CO. Has anyone researched this movement?
            Just a few of the quotes I've read of Holmes remind me of Steiner. If
            someone knows more about this that would be
            helpful!? ~Chantel

            "The genuine
            practitioners of the love of and the search for wisdom will be but a small
            remnant... Those who belong to this small class have tasted how sweet and
            blessed a possession of philosophy is." Plato, The Commonwealth
            IV

            No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.