bats

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2006
      Went night running tonight. Since the sky was clear it was possible
      to see the neighborhood bat population contrasted against the backdrop
      of outer space; all around me were their silent pulses as I ran, dumb
      and blind in comparison. The bats send and receive these sonar-like
      pulses that fling through the air and come back packed with data about
      their environment. It occurred to me that these signals were not just
      materialistic frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum, but thought-
      --thought behaving mechanically under the guidance of intelligent
      perception. These extrasensory thoughts were powerful enough,
      evidently, to "light up" this dark night in August as bright as day,
      enabling the bats to "see" and travel through a sort of auditory sound
      world in which their senses were immersed. Trippy.