The Ego

  • Sena Fernando
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001
      Dear Dr.Starman,
      It is good that you have emphasized this very important point
      about the Ego (Self). It is certainly a unique aspect of Steiner's
      teaching and differentiates him from the Theosophists and Gnostics
      as well as the Eastern teachers.
      So how do we develop the Ego without becoming egoistic?
      It seems to me that Steiner's conception of the Ego is
      different from the commonplace usage of the word. The "I" that we
      normally speak of IS an illusion. To demonstrate that ask yourself,
      "Where is the ' I ' located?"
      Compare that with Steiner's words about the ego in Chapter 7
      (page 120):
      ".....because Christ wishes to bestow the true ego upon every human
      soul,
      He will awaken the God in it and gradually enkindle the Spirit of the Lord
      and King in everyone."
      Further down on that page:
      "When one man judges another, the one is always placing the
      other under the compulsion of his own ego. However, if a person really
      believes in the "I AM" in the Christian sense, he will not judge."
      Sena