still more Bondarev material

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2006
      To All:

      I have just posted another webpage, this one containing
      some excerpts I made from Gennady Bondarev's book
      *The Crisis of Civilization*. (These excerpts add
      up to about 113K of plain text.) This page also
      has some introductory remarks and links to the
      four complete chapters that I had already posted.
      <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Sparta/1105/BondarevExcerpts.htm>

      Robert Mason

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2006
        The first edition of this book appeared in Russian and German in 1995,
        published in Moscow and Basel. The German-language (Swiss) publisher
        (Moskau-Basel-Verlag, Lochmann Verlag) omitted a few short passages
        concerning the so-called "Holocaust" of Jews under the Nazi regime. Bondarev
        was expelled from the General Anthroposophical Society in 1998, the given
        reason being the alleged "anti-Semitism" expressed in this book and the
        omitted passages. (There is reason to suspect that this given reason was not
        the real reason.)

        *******I'm sorry, but I would ask for a bit more information abdout "the
        'so-called' Holocaust" this man wrote of. What did he mean by "so-called",
        please?

        Also I'd need more information to blandly accept the aspersion cast on
        the 7 members of the Vorstand, that they said this person, whoever he is,
        was expelled for anti-Semitism but they had some other "real reason." I know
        several members personally, some for years, and don't easily believe things
        said so casually about them.

        Also, I know that it takes an awful lot for the Society to expel
        someone---however, if he or she is aggrandizing to themselves the level of
        spiritual science of Dr. Steiner while at the same time saying things in
        diametric opposition to spirit-science, well that would do it! But even then
        it would take a long time to provoke such a reaction. They remember the
        split in the Society in the 1930s.

        >From: Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@...>
        >To: anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
        >steiner@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [steiner] still more Bondarev material
        >Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:45:30 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >To All:
        >
        >I have just posted another webpage, this one containing
        >some excerpts I made from Gennady Bondarev's book
        >*The Crisis of Civilization*. (These excerpts add
        >up to about 113K of plain text.) This page also
        >has some introductory remarks and links to the
        >four complete chapters that I had already posted.
        ><http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Sparta/1105/BondarevExcerpts.htm>
        >
        >Robert Mason

        >http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Robert Mason
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 18, 2006
          To "Starman", who wrote:

          >>I'm sorry, but I would ask for a bit more
          information abdout [sic] "the 'so-called'
          Holocaust" this man wrote of. What did he mean
          by "so-called", please?<<

          Robert writes:

          *So-called* was my word. I used it and the
          quotation marks to signal the need to pause,
          think, and not take the word at its usual "face
          value". *Holocaust* literally means something
          like *completely burned*, and was used to refer
          to the burning of the bloody remains of a
          ritual sacrifice on an altar. But that is not
          the meaning in this context; the political
          meaning has come to comprise a complex of
          supposed historical events, and this meaning
          has taken on such an emotional content that
          some people go kind of crazy about it. Even
          some whole countries have gone crazy about it.
          The situation has come about that the
          "Holocaust" has become a very effective
          propaganda support for bizarre and deleterious
          political agendas, and that people who
          seriously question some aspects of that
          "complex" are subjected to harassment,
          reprisals, and (in many countries) to criminal
          penalties. -- I wanted to raise a little red
          flag about the danger of being misled by
          prejudiced assumptions and being stampeded by
          emotions.

          It has been four or five years since I started
          discussing Bondarev (and the controversies
          around him) on the Web (in Steiner98), and more
          recently I had a grueling struggle on the
          Waldorf Critics list. If you want to see more
          of my thoughts (including some about the
          "Holocaust"), you can follow the thread that
          starts here (March 18):
          <http://lists.topica.com/lists/waldorf-critics/read/message.html?mid=1720032313&sort=d&start=30918>

          Also, on the "Anthroposophy Tommorow" e-list I
          had a discussion about Bondarev etc., in
          several threads, if I recall. They started
          around here (maybe):

          "Starman" wrote:

          >>Also I'd need more information to blandly
          accept the aspersion cast on the 7 members of
          the Vorstand, that they said this person,
          whoever he is, was expelled for anti-Semitism
          but they had some other "real reason." I know
          several members personally, some for years, and
          don't easily believe things said so casually
          about them.<<

          Robert writes:

          I wasn't speaking casually; I have been
          puzzling over this for years. I'll quote
          myself:

          "The alleged anti-Semitism in Bondarew's book
          *Anthroposophie auf der Kreuzung . . .* was
          cited in the official statement as the putative
          cause of his expulsion from the Dornach
          Society. I say *putative cause* for several
          reasons: There was confusion in that the
          official statement was signed by head of the
          'Vorstand' of the Society and the head of the
          'High School', despite the fact that membership
          in the Society and in the High School are not
          the same; the criteria for membership are
          different. Also, there is no apparent anti-
          Semitism in the book; the expulsion statement
          did not cite a single anti-Semitic word.
          Further, there was no explanation of why the
          authorship of a book should be grounds for
          expulsion from a society supposedly dedicated
          to cultural freedom. And -- a somewhat
          different explanation for the expulsion was
          attributed in a Society publication to MSB:
          that the expulsion was also at the request of
          the Russian Anthro Society, for its protection
          -- but both MSB and the Russian Society later
          denied this story. There is another story
          around, that another member of the Dornach
          Vorstand, Zimmermann, said that the expulsion
          was to prevent a split in the Russian Society.

          "That publication was *Das Goetheanum*; No. 48;
          Nov. 28, 1999. The denials were in *Vestnik*;
          Easter, 2000. The 'story' I got from Graham
          Rickett."

          -- More about this "story", this from
          Bondarev's publisher, Willy Lochmann.
          Apparently some Tombergians tried to involve
          Bondarev in an attempt to set up an alternative
          Russian Society, but he refused to co-operate:

          "AAG-Ausschluss Bondarews: . . . . Einige
          Menschen, die in Russland diese Gegen-
          Gesellschaft mit Bondarew als Gallionsfigur
          gründen wollten, trafen sich 1998 am Kongress
          in Den Haag. Dazu gehören vermutlich Willem
          Veltman und definitiv Harrie Salman, der zur
          Tomberg-Anhängerschaft zählt. Die Fäden im
          Moskau zog ein Mann namens 'Sascha' (an den
          Familiennamen kann ich mich nicht mehr sicher
          erinnern). Bondarew hatte sich, soweit mir
          bekannt ist, strikt geweigert, sich zu
          beteiligen. Nachdem er wegen der von der
          holländischen Landesgesellschaft erzwungen
          Ausladung (siehe: Null-Nummer meines
          Rundbriefs: 'Tagebuch der holländischen
          Kampagne' - noch nicht im Web) durch Veltman
          nicht nach Den Haag reisen konnte, versuchte
          ihn Harrie Salman telefonisch zur Beteiligung
          zu drängen. Dazu gibt es keinerlei
          veröffentlichte Kommentare."

          -- The first, most obvious, and most decisive
          reason for doubting the "given" explanation for
          the expulsion is that there is no "anti-
          Semitism" in the book, as was alleged in the
          official statement from the Society. I'll
          quote myself again:

          "Note that the statement did not cite a single
          'anti-Semitic' word from Bondarev, and it did
          not mention 'holocaust denial' at all. But
          why, if they really had to say anything, even
          erroneous, about the book, did the Vorstand not
          just leave it at that: Bondarev's opinions are
          his own and not those of the Society? -- Why
          the expulsion? The original Christmas Society
          statutes (now only 'principles') state that
          (#9): 'A dogma in any sphere whatsoever shall
          be excluded from The General Anthroposophical
          Society.' The expulsion, allegedly based on
          opinions expressed in a book, seem to me to be
          contrary to the very spirit of Anthroposophy,
          which, in our times, is the foremost teacher of
          true human freedom. I say *allegedly*, for I
          have to doubt that the stated reason was the
          real reason. -- You might want to read my
          closely related post on Anthroposophy Tomorrow
          for more on this
          theme:

          -- I was asked for my opinion about the real
          reason for the expulsion, and I responded thus:

          "Again, I would have to guess. Maybe it really
          did have some connection with the politics of
          the Russian Society. Tension between a
          Bondarev faction and a Prokofieff faction?
          Maybe some of those CheKa-connected pseudo-
          Templars were involved? Somehow the desire in
          Dornach to raise Proky to the heights led to a
          drive to stomp Bondy into the dirt?

          "Bondy seems to have a way of rubbing a lot of
          people the wrong way, and not only Society
          apparatchniki. But it's not out of the
          question that those apparatchniki had some hard
          feelings about Bondy's criticisms of the way
          the Society was being run and by his suggestion
          that 'the Society has become a means of
          concealing something unknown'. Perhaps he was
          right with this suggestion, and that sinister
          'something unknown' used the supposed 'anti-
          Semitism' as a pretext to get him out of the
          Society?

          "Maybe some of all of the above?"

          -- Those "pseudo-Templars" were mentioned in
          Bondarev's book as having long infiltrated the
          Russian Anthro Society. Apparently, there have
          been a lot of strange, sinister goings-on in
          and around the Russian Society for a long time,
          most recently and conspicuously the violent,
          mysterious death of Irina Gordienko.

          I will append the text of the official
          expulsion statement auf deutsch; you can find
          an English translation
          here:
          <www.waldorfanswers.org/ASonBondaraew.htm>

          "Starman" wrote:

          >>Also, I know that it takes an awful lot for
          the Society to expel someone . . . .<<

          Robert writes:

          I hope you are aware that, according to the
          real, legal statutes of the Society (which are
          not those given by Steiner at the Christmas
          Conference), the Vorstand can expel any member
          for no reason.

          "Starman" wrote:

          >> . . . however, if he or she is aggrandizing
          to themselves the level of spiritual science of
          Dr. Steiner while at the same time saying
          things in diametric opposition to spirit-
          science, well that would do it! But even then
          it would take a long time to provoke such a
          reaction. They remember the split in the
          Society in the 1930s.<<

          Robert writes:

          There have been other expulsions besides
          Bondarev's. Around 1962 Rudolf Saacke was
          expelled with no reason given, but apparently
          for raising the "Constitutional Question". And
          in the last few years, since Bondarev, someone
          (I don't remember his name) was expelled for,
          it seems, expressing the "wrong" opinion on
          Swiss immigration; I don't recall the details.

          -- I realize that the censorship, official and
          unofficial, has been so effective that for many
          people the idea that the accepted story of the
          "Holocaust" might not be true is the most
          unheard-of thing they have ever heard of -- and
          that when they hear someone suggest that idea,
          they think . . . well, he must be some kind of
          Nazi. And I realize that many Anthros have a
          hard time taking seriously the idea that
          anything unseemly, much less sinister, might
          happen in the rarefied atmosphere of Dornach.
          Here is an opportunity to practice one of the
          six essential virtues recommended by Steiner:
          open-mindedness, impartiality.

          This second "idea" is of more special concern
          for Anthros than is the first; that first is
          more a matter of ordinary, straightforward
          historical research, to the extent that such
          is possible under the present circumstances.
          Unhappily, the controversy over Bondarev's
          relation to that first and associated ideas
          has largely dominated the discussion about
          him, and this has pretty much been the case
          for me on the Internet over the past few years.
          As I said in my recent Web posting, I would
          like to take the focus off this distracting
          controversy and direct the focus to the real,
          important substance of this book.

          Robert Mason
          ***
          From Rudolf Saacke's old website, March 1998
          (edit16-p01.htm):***Im Nachrichtenblatt der AAG
          mit dem fatalen Datum "8. Februar" 1998 wurde
          folgende Mitteilung veröffentlicht:

          "Zum Antisemitismus-Vorwurf

          In der letzten Zeit wurde, vor allem im Bereich
          Basel, die Anthroposophie mit antisemitischen
          Tendenzen in Verbindung gebracht.

          Selbstverständlich handelt es sich dabei um ein
          grundlegendes Mißverständnis. Aus dem Geist und
          dem Wesen der Anthroposophie ist es vollkommen
          unmöglich, zu irgendwelchen antisemitischen
          Äußerungen zu kommen. Die Achtung vor der Würde
          eines jeden Menschen und die Anerkennung der
          verschiedenen religiösen Wege und Überzeugungen
          sind ein Urbaustein anthroposophischer
          Menschen- und Welterkenntnis. Wenn einzelne
          Menschen, die sich auch mit Anthroposophie
          beschäftigen, zu solchen Äußerungen kommen, so
          kann das immer nur ein Ausdruck ihrer
          persönlichen Meinung sein, niemals aber eine
          Äußerung der Anthroposophischen Gesellschaft
          oder gar der Anthroposophie selbst.

          Eine besondere Rolle spielt in diesem
          Zusammenhang das Buch ,Anthroposophie auf der
          Kreuzung der okkulten Bewegungen der Gegenwart‘
          von Gennadij Bondarew. Darin wird die
          Anthroposophie in dieser Hinsicht gravierend
          entstellt. Insbesondere enthält die russische
          Originalausgabe Passagen, die in der deutschen
          Übersetzung weggelassen wurden, die besonders
          gravierend sind.

          Aufgrund dieser Situation hat sich der Vorstand
          entschließen müssen, Herrn Bondarew nicht mehr
          als Mitglied der Anthroposophischen
          Gesellschaft zu betrachten.

          Für das Hochschulkollegium: Dr. Georg Unger

          Für den Vorstand am Goetheanum: Manfred
          Schmidt-Brabant"
          ***

          http://mail.yahoo.com