addit on Conscience

  • sarah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2006
      There is a story in 2Samuel 12:1-14 that describes King David experiencing guilt and regret, ie Conscience, in 1000BC, over taking a man's wife and having him killed. This book of the OT was supposedly written around 6th century BC, before the Zoroastrian influence, but since the Jewish bible was not put together until after exile, it is likely to have been a later insertion, because this story definitely stands out as 'different' (I"ve just finished reading the whole OT). Inserting commentary and extra stories was common and perfectly acceptable with the early bible redactors, just so long as the original writing was kept in tact (they were very superstitious about that!).

      Just wanted to also add that it wasn't just the Jews who were educated out of fear-based to conscience-based, ie wisdom and thinking based religion; it was also the Gentiles .... and the whole world. I wasn't having a go at the Jews - in fact, they got in first ... Gentiles later! We all have Zarathustra to thank!

      Sarah
      Waldorf Doll Making DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!
      e-Patterns, Dolls and More;
      www.sarahs-dolls.com