  • Seth Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2006
      What about quantum computing, where bits are not either in two
      states, but are rather in a superposition of an infinite number of
      states? If we were to replace a biological brain with a bio-
      mechanical one that is _functionally_equivalent_, what would the
      difference _really_ be? (and for whom?, and in with what cosmic

      If we are imagining a human I-being in a process of incarnation, is
      the problem with 'mechanical' things rather their inability to modify
      and adapt according to the etheric formative forces, and not whether
      aspects are binary or not? Certainly many aspects of the functioning
      human body can already be described as having only two possible
      states (such as microtubule protein conformation along nerve cells).
      Does this make these aspects mechanical? Or, as you seem to point
      out, is 'mechanical' something more to do with how the operation
      relates to the willing I-being for whom the particular bodily element
      is created in the first place - and whether or not its functionality
      can support the development of the being in question in a lawful way?

      It seems like it will be increasingly important for anthroposophists
      to address questions like these as our technology develops, so that
      we ourselves can act with freedom in love regarding situations that
      may seem to bring up fear or even hatred.

      What do others think?
      Thanks for the post, Matthew.