I AM IRON MAN

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2006
      If my vision of the future is correct we will see the advent of a
      computerized human being whose thinking capacity is controlled and
      regulated by advanced microchip technologies capable of working
      within biological systems, specifically the brain.

      Already, computer science and medicine have combined their forces to
      research digital solutions for brain diseases.

      Research scientists at USC are engineering a microchip designed to
      duplicate the biological operations performed by the hippocampus. If
      the microchip succeeds, it could help people suffering from brain
      damage, particularly stroke patients, epileptics and those suffering
      from Alzheimer's disease.

      The power of this technology would transform society, but also lead
      to crypto-technologies that go outside curative applications.

      We would see the application of biological computer chip technologies
      aimed at transforming the way in which the brain processes
      information.

      The brain, as it is, interprets data `holistically' (as my last post
      proved). It has the remarkable ability to allow thought to organize
      data from the perspective of consciousness. It `sees', not by
      compiling minute bits of data, as a computer does, but through a
      process of integration.

      The computerized human being, on the other hand, thinks in a binary
      language form. This is a base-2 number system using two symbols, 0s
      and 1s. Boolean algebra and the base-2 number system are implemented
      within electronic circuitry to create all the operations on your
      computer. It is remarkably simple and powerful. In the base-2
      number system all electric impulses are reduced down to a simple yes-
      or-no answer, 1 or 0.

      Likewise, if it were possible to think as a computer, all of reality
      would be reduced to mechanically-elicited yes-or-no responses.
      Instead of consciousness reaching out and participating in the act of
      comprehending reality, consciousness is subverted onto the subliminal
      plane beneath where the digitalized brain gathers data flooding into
      the microchip through the senses. The Ahrimanic Man would feel the
      flow of information passing through him like we might feel the wind
      blowing upon our faces, with no ability to alter or change the flow
      of thought, only react and respond. The result is a purely
      mechanical form of human life in which free will is nearly
      impossible.

      Mathew Morrell
      www.kcpost.net
    • Seth Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2006
        What about quantum computing, where bits are not either in two
        states, but are rather in a superposition of an infinite number of
        states? If we were to replace a biological brain with a bio-
        mechanical one that is _functionally_equivalent_, what would the
        difference _really_ be? (and for whom?, and in with what cosmic
        consequences?)

        If we are imagining a human I-being in a process of incarnation, is
        the problem with 'mechanical' things rather their inability to modify
        and adapt according to the etheric formative forces, and not whether
        aspects are binary or not? Certainly many aspects of the functioning
        human body can already be described as having only two possible
        states (such as microtubule protein conformation along nerve cells).
        Does this make these aspects mechanical? Or, as you seem to point
        out, is 'mechanical' something more to do with how the operation
        relates to the willing I-being for whom the particular bodily element
        is created in the first place - and whether or not its functionality
        can support the development of the being in question in a lawful way?

        It seems like it will be increasingly important for anthroposophists
        to address questions like these as our technology develops, so that
        we ourselves can act with freedom in love regarding situations that
        may seem to bring up fear or even hatred.

        What do others think?
        Thanks for the post, Matthew.
        -Seth