Calendar of the Soul, 6th Week after Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2006

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st through June 15th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the BULL in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.

      * M A N T R A  #6 *
      Es ist erstanden aus der Eigenheit
      Mein Selbst und findet sich
      Als Weltenoffenbarung
      In Zeit- und Raumeskräften;
      Die Welt, sie zeigt mir überall
      Als goöttlich Urbild
      Des eignen Abbilds Wahrheit.

      There has arisen out of my Egohood
      My Self and finds itself
      As World-Revelation
      In Time- and Space-forces;
      The World, it points out to me everywhere
      As godly Archetypal picture
      My own Image's truth.

         A partial interpretation:
             We can see that the spiritual essence working in Nature --- the
      transformation of spring going on around us in time and space --- is an image of
      our true Self, which this week rises out of our ego-consciousness to find
      itself mirrored there.

                                                  **********************************

      Sunday, May 21st.  Moon Pisces.
      Albrecht Dürer born 1471.

      Monday, May 22nd. Moon Aries.
      Richard Wagner born 1813.

      Tuesday, May 23rd. Moon Aries.
      Savanarola burnt at the stake 1498.

      Wednesday, May 24th. Moon Taurus.

      Copernicus died 1543. Lord Bulwer-Lytton born 1803.

      Thursday, May 25th. Moon Taurus.
      Laying of the Foundation Stone of the Strassbourg Monastery 1277. Ascension Day.

      Friday, May 26th. Moon Gemini.

      The Venerable Bede (famous English monk of the 8th century).

      Saturday, May 27th. Moon Gemini. New Moon.

      Maria of Magdala. Dante born 1265. Calvin died 1564.