Re: [steiner] Designers behind evolution

    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2006
      In a message dated 5/6/2006 8:45:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, evert.hoff@... writes:

      Hi,

      Please point me to texts where Steiner describes which beings did all the
      design work behind evolution. For example, the beings who designed the
      mechanisms by which plants and insects/birds interact to bring about
      cross-pollination.

      Thanks,
      Evert

      *******I don't think that's quite the case. The beings themselves strive to do this or that, to master certain tasks: the beings at the level of present-day plants, to be conscious of LIFE, the beings going through the stage of animals, to possess an image-consciousness, etc. Then, in the last world, the Old Moon, all this was imbued with wisdom by the Spirits of Wisdom. So, for instance, two kinds of beings sought particular things out of their natures, and through this being imbued with wisdom we now see a "symbiosis", a cooperation of two kinds of beings, like the insects with the plant kingdom. But it's not that they were "designed" that way (like a screwdriver to fit a screw) by a force outside them, not as I understand it. But it's a large subject, life and nature, evolution and "design."

      -starman
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2006

        There is an intelligent design in nature, created by supreme beings, that is encoded in the cellular structure and is pre-determined; and yet, as Starman said, we shouldn't ignore the fact that life forms have will; and that it is the ability of ours to will that continually alters our genetic program through the ages.  Any theory of evolution that does not at least include `the will' as a primary factor within evolvement is flawed and short sighted.  The Lamarckian revolt against Darwinism was based precisely on this argument--- not on the principles of "the survival of the fittest" or of "accidental selection."  In Darwinism, it is an accident that giraffes have long necks.  To Lamarck, giraffes evolved long necks because, on an unconscious level, through desire, they willed their necks to grow longer; food grew scarce and they needed to reach for food on the higher branches of trees in order to survive.  Through successive generations giraffes grew longer and longer necks.  The operatives in the American public school system repress the Lamarckian theory of evolution because it does not conform to the idea that we are shaped by our environment; in other words, it is non-Marxian.  It embraces self determination.

        I, for one, embrace the theory of evolution that involves all three evolutionary principles:  environmentalism (which says life forms are shaped by their environment), self determination (which says they are shaped by their will), and intelligent design (which says we were shaped by higher powers).  All three impulses are actively at work in shaping, not only man, but all life within our universe.  Call it the Goethian Theory of Evolution, if you will.

        Mathew Morrell

        www.kcpost.net

      • Evert Hoff
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2006
          Hi Mathew,

          The idea that the evolution of humans and animals is shaped by their will is interesting. I never considered this before - I just assumed that since we don't even understand how our bodies work and how to change them that we don't have influence over their evolution. But, we do have the ability to at least try to will changes to take place. The willing of humans and animals is maybe how humans and animals communicate to the higher beings or higher levels of our own beings who are able to change the designs of our bodies.

          I just hope that the willing of humans doesn't have too much influence over our evolution, because both males and females are currently willing changes to their anatomy that will have humans looking very funny if it all actually started changing - we will start looking like giraffs but with different parts super-sized.

          What's the difference between desiring something to change and willing the change into existence? Is it a different part of our souls that do willing instead of desiring? Do you think the beings who design bodies respond to desires expressed or only to willing by plants, animals and humans?

          Evert

          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2006

            > I just hope that the willing of humans doesn't have too much influence over
            > our evolution, because both males and females are currently willing changes
            > to their anatomy that will have humans looking very funny if it all actually
            > started changing - we will start looking like giraffs but with different
            > parts super-sized.

            The 'red light district' of the Internet bears that statement out.   Hubba hubba.

            > What's the difference between desiring something to change and willing the
            > change into existence? Is it a different part of our souls that do willing
            > instead of desiring? Do you think the beings who design bodies respond to
            > desires expressed or only to willing by plants, animals and humans?
            >
            > Evert

            Strangely enough, the Wikepedia online encyclodpedia doesn't mention "the will" as an intricle element of Lamarckian evolution.  However Wikepedia doesn provide a descent background on the subject.

            Lamarck developed two laws:

            1. In every animal which has not passed the limit of its development, a more frequent and continuous use of any organ gradually strengthens, develops and enlarges that organ, and gives it a power proportional to the length of time it has been so used; while the permanent disuse of any organ imperceptibly weakens and deteriorates it, and progressively diminishes its functional capacity, until it finally disappears.
            2. All the acquisitions or losses wrought by nature on individuals, through the influence of the environment in which their race has long been placed, and hence through the influence of the predominant use or permanent disuse of any organ; all these are preserved by reproduction to the new individuals which arise, provided that the acquired modifications are common to both sexes, or at least to the individuals which produce the young.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarck

            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2006
              Well one thing we do know, as occultist, is the effect that desire
              has upon our etheric body---the body that is the most closely
              connected to the physical body and all its processes, including the
              genetic process involved in evolution.

              All the thoughts and emotions that we will are recorded, via our
              astral bodies, into our etheric bodies, almost as if the etheric body
              was a very sophisticated recording device that works on an invisible
              level. In fact, our entire life is recorded within the etheric body,
              down to the minutest detail, every thought and emotion, everything
              seen, touched, felt, heard. When a hypnotist is working on a subject
              he is actually leading the patient into the psychic warehouse called
              the etheric body. When people see their lives "flash before their
              eyes" they're actually seeing a glimpse of their etheric body.

              Therefore, thinking is not an isolated event. Every thought we
              embrace creates a sort of ripple of energy within different levels of
              our psyche. Because of the etheric body's close connection to the
              physical body, these "ripples" of energy have a profound effect upon
              our genetic structure and the way in which it encodes information.
              When we actually produce a change in our DNA that change is passed
              down to our succeeding generation. However, at this level, change
              occurs very slowly. We must measure physical evolution in terms of
              millions of years, and not life times, to see dramatic changes:
              longer necks, longer legs, etc.

              It's the sudden jumps in evolution that are un-accounted for by any
              theory of evolution, be it Darwinism or Lamarckian evolution.

              Mathew Morrell
              www.kcpost.net