    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
        The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st through June 15th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the BULL in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.

      * M A N T R A # 3 *
      Es spricht zum Weltenall,
      Sich Selbst vergessend
      Und seines Urstands eingedenk,
      Des Menschen wachsend Ich:
      In dir, befreiend nich,
      Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,
      Ergründ ich mein echtes Wesen.

      There speaks to the World-All,
      Of Self forgetful
      And of its Primal state one in thinking,
      Man's waxing "I":
      'In you, freeing me
      From my Selfhood's chains,
      I penetrate to my true Essence'.

      An interpretation:
        The spring is the time when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (we always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the Growth in the outer world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit that calls forth this new life--- verse 2 of how our thinking loses its separated existence by joining with the senses, the plants springing forth and so on.

         This week continues the theme of 'forgetting oneself': the first 4 lines point to a distinction, so to speak, between self and Self, or the little ego and the True Self: the true "I" within us (meaning the Primal Individuality we have within) now seeks to 'speak' to the World-All, forgetful of the everyday 'self'. In using these first 4 lines one should feel these two 'selves' distinctly different--- should feel this deep True Self is now connecting with the World, forgetful of the everyday "self."

         In doing so, that true Primal Self 'speaks' the last 3 lines to the World: one should recite these with the real feeling of speaking them to the World-All. "In you, freeing me from my selfhood's chains (meaning the little 'self'), I penetrate ('dig down deep into') my True Essence" (Being, Self---I use 'essence' because the German word 'Wesen' is the source of it).

                                                  **********************************

      Sunday, April 30th.  Moon Gemini.  Seneca assassinated 65 A.D. Gauss (the mathematician) born 1777.

      Monday, May 1st. Moon Cancer.
      Walpurgis.

      Tuesday, May 2nd. Moon Cancer.
      Leonardo da Vinci died 1519. Novalis born 1772.

      Wednesday, May 3rd. Moon Leo.
      Empress Helena found the Cross of Christ in Jerusalem 326 A.D.

      Thursday, May 4th. Moon Leo.
      Monica, mother of Augustine dies 387 A.D.

      Friday, May 5th. Moon Leo. First Quarter.
      Columbus discovers America 1492.

      Saturday, May 6th. Moon Virgo.
      John, writer of the Gospel and the Apocalypse.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2009

        Dr. Rudolf Steiner
        gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

        The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation ARIES from April 14th to 30th in our era.
        A version (done by Margaret Roessler in the color of the sign, red) of a new symbolic image of the RAM from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) is attached to this e-mail.

        * M A N T R A # 3 *

        Es spricht zum Weltenall,

        Sich Selbst vergessend

        Und seines Urstands eingedenk,

        Des Menschen wachsend Ich:

        In dir, befreiend nich,

        Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,

        Ergründ ich mein echtes Wesen.

        There speaks to the World-All,

        Of Self forgetful

        And of its Primal state one in thinking,

        Man’s waxing “I”:

        ‘In you, freeing me

        From my Selfhood’s chains,

        I penetrate to my true Essence’.

           An interpretation based on working with the mantra:

            The spring is the time when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (we always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the growth in the outer world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit that calls forth this new life--- verse 2 of how our thinking loses its separated existence by joining with the senses, the plants springing forth and so on.

           This week continues the theme of 'forgetting oneself': the first 4 lines point to a distinction between self and Self, or the little ego

        and the True Self: the true "I" within us now seeks to 'speak' to the World-All, forgetful of the everyday 'self'. This means the Primal

        Individuality we have within. In using these first 4 lines one should feel these two 'selves' distinctly different,  feel this deep True Self is

        now connecting with the World, forgetful of the everyday self.

           In doing so, that true Primal Self 'speaks' the last 3 lines to the World: one should recite these with the real feeling of speaking them to the

        World-All. In you, freeing me from my selfhood's chains (meaning the little 'self'), I penetrate (dig down deep into) my True Essence (Being, Self---I use 'essence' because the German word 'Wesen' is the source of it).

        THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

        Sunday, April 26th. Moon Gemini.  Uhland born 1787.

        Monday, April 27th. Moon Gemini.  Tertullian (famous Church teacher of the 3rd century). Socrates born 470 B.C. Emerson died 1882.

        Tuesday, April 28th. Moon Cancer.   Eusebius.

        Wednesday, April 29th. Moon Cancer.   The Virgin of Orleans frees Orleans 1429.

        Thursday, April 30th. Moon Leo.  Seneca assassinated 65 A.D. Gauss (the mathematician) born 1777.

        Friday, May 1st. Moon Leo. First Quarter.  Walpurgis.

        Saturday, May 2nd. Moon Leo.  Leonardo da Vinci died 1519. Novalis born 1772.

        PLANETS: Saturn is visible in the East from sunset on, beneath the stars of the Lion.

        Starman

        Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it out.