Saturday

  • Sarah Ford Elliott
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2006
      The Day of Saturn

      Saturn contains within it the polarity of death and resurrection. On earth Easter Saturday is a day death-like darkness and inactivitity. It is the sabbath a day externally imposed rest for the Jews. For those who loved Jesus it cannot have been a very restful day of rest. Jesus’ body was laid in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea in the Garden of Gethsemane, and they are required to wait until the Sabbath is over before they can do what is necessary to prepare his body. It must have been an anxious time of anticipation.

      In the meantime, unknown to them, something is happening. The tomb lies in that very place that was once known as the centre of the world, where Adam’s body – the first man to experience death – found its last resting place. In this place there lies a geological fault line. The earthquake that has caused the earth to tremble since the death of Christ, splits open the ground and the physical body falls from the tomb into the earth. Thus the whole earth become’s his grave. In The Study of Man Steiner says something of how, because the human being is physical and spiritual, the corpses of humans give something spiritual to the earth. The physical body that has been incarnated by the Christ, a fully spiritual being, must have an even greater spiritualising effect of the earth. This is part of the medecine that heals.

      Whilst the friends of Jesus are worrying about his body in the tomb, unknown to them, the tomb is empty.

      The spiritual being of the Christ has also descended into the depths of the earthly realm into that spiritual place where human souls are stuck: have not been able to cross over  the abyss between the material and the spiritual. His power is able to overcome the power that death has over these souls.

      As Bock says, whilst Saturnine darkness reigns on the earth, the sun of Christ is dawning in the realms of the dead.

      This is the polarity of Saturn. When death occurs, new life is initiated. The time of our birth is also the beginning of the process of death. When the dead leaves fall from the trees it is because they are pushed of by the budding impulse of next year’s growth.

      The Empty Tomb

      I must have read something last Easter, but I cannot remember what is was, perhaps someone will recognise it? It was about the empty tomb.

      In our society we tend to view something that is empty as being negative, or, at the very least, uninteresting. We don’t like things to be empty: silences are filled, cravings are satisfied, “free time” is filled with obligatory “passtimes” – things that we do to help us in our onerous duty of passing time. There is a pressure on us to occupy every moment between birth and death. If there is a space anywhere to be found, you can be sure that someone somewhere is trying to sell you something to fill it. Even the womb is no longer safe, since now you can buy devices that will enhance your unborn baby’s intelligence, to help them to get a “head start”; a head start in the great human race. What is the goal of the race, and what is the prize for winning?

      Actually, it is not a race towards something, but a race away from something. It is a race away from the terifying spectre of ourselves. It is a race away from having to make the awful admission of emptiness. Within each human being in the age of the consciousness soul is a big, scary, echoing, aching reality of emptiness. It is a secret that we dare not admit to each other, even to ourselves. We all have that experience of being a small baby crying in lonliness at the end of a long dark corridor; waiting for someone to come and pick us up, looking for something that will make it all better. And we cannot admit the awful truth: no one is coming to pick us up; there is nothing that will fill that emptiness. What are our options? To give up hope? To play with our cot toys, or be entertained by the voice-activated baby light show until we fall asleep? Why is the sound of a crying baby so unbearable to us? Is it because they are the only ones who will admit, with their wordless sound of distress, what we all experience? A big boy doesn’t cry. A big boy has to learn to repress these feelings of emptiness and pretend they are not there. A big boy has to collaborate in the great deception and keep on trying to find something that will fill that emptiness.

      In The Study of Man Steiner speaks of the nerves in our body as being a hollow space. This is a scary concept and one that is difficult to get a handle on. Again, we don’t want to think of anything in our body as being a hollow space. Such an admission is far too uncomfortable. Yet it is within this hollow space that consciouness occurs. That is why we all experience the emptiness inside us, because without this emptiness consciousness would not be possible. We would not have the capacitity for objective thought, for freedom. The price we pay for this freedom is an experience of the abyss: the gulf that exists between self and other. If we seek one pleasurable or entertaining experience after another then we never really create the space to be conscious of any of them.

      Not that pleasure is wrong in itself. Steiner wasn’t against pleasure, but he said that if you are going to experience pleasure, do it consciously. Give yourself entirely up to a pleasurable experience, let it fully resonate in your consciousness, and then savour it: re-experience the pleasure within the empty space of consciousness, observe its effects.

      So we tend to see an empty space as a negative space. When the women went to the tomb on Easter morning they were afraid, anxious, amazed and saddened because the tomb was empty: something which was supposed to be there was not there. Yet the empty tomb is a very powerful image for us in our age of the consciousness soul. We approach the empitness of the tomb with fear, anxiety and saddness, yet the tomb is empty because something far greater has happened: Christ is risen. Christ who was experienced for three years within the physical body of Jesus can now be experienced in the physical body of the whole earth.

      It is in this empty tomb of consciousness, when we experience its emptiness, that the risen Christ makes himself known to us. Rather than a place of fear and saddness, it can be the place where we experience the Christ-filled power of new possibility and creativity.

      If I think again of what Chilton Pearse says about “unconflicted behaviour”, that we are capable of the transcendent, creative power of the gods if we do not get in the way of this capacity. In order not to get in the way we need to be empty.

      Meditation is the practice of this. To go to that place of emptiness, to experience it, to allow it to be: to allow ourselves to be empty (scary stuff!”); to fill the emptiness with a thought, an image or an experience; to let it resonate within the “empty tomb” to allow it to be remembered in its fullness; then to dissolve it. By dissolving the image we are sending it back into the emptiness, giving it up. As we fully experience the emptiness again we may realise that something is there in the emptiness, something that can help us. The something may be quite cryptic, it may appear as one thing, but mean something else (like Mary’s vision of the gardener). It will almost cetainly make no logical sense, at first it may be meaningless. In trying to find meaning we may be temporarily lead down the wrong path. But at some point, immediately or much later, the meaning will dawn on us and perhaps something more creative than we could ever have “come up with” (from below) will come to us (from above)? Understanding will not be achieved in the cave of the head, but in the garden of the heart.

      Of course sometimes life’s activity causes the emptiness to force itself upon us. Think of Robert the Bruce who, having had his family captured and tortured by the English, hid in a cave. There he received inspiration from watching a spider build its web.

      Conversely we can create our own haven of emptiness in any given situation.

      Try this:
      1. In any situation where an emotion, experience or other demands are overwhelming, imagine an empty space: the empty tomb, a crystal cave or whatever is helpful. This is your inner, positive empty space. Nothing can reach you here, the space is empty. You can choose what you take in with you.
      2. Take whatever is troubling you into this space and allow it to be. Acknowledge it, welcome it and observe it. It comes not as an intruder, but as a welcome guest.
      3. Dissolve it; allow the emptiness to become empty again. Give what has been observed up.
      4. See what comes. Sometimes the act of dissolving it is enough in itself, nothing more is needed to restore positivity and creatvity.

      Sometimes it is necessary to do this repeatedly with a feeling or situation. Sometimes it is useful to do this over three successive nights. Sometimes it is useful actively to engage the power of Agape, perhaps by imagining a person (if it is a person) surrounded in golden (or blue) light at stage 2.

      I have not remained in the events of Saturday here but crossed over into the early events of Easter Day. However, Saturn has to do with both death and resurrection. It is about responsibility and how we meet what life throws at us. It is about making important decisions in life and about being responsible. If we practice the above art responsibly, in a saturnine manner, on a daily basis, we can become skilled in handling the tools of death and resurrection. We can create our own spaces in life and not be reliant on waiting for those times when life forces us to start or stop.

      As teachers we often feel ourselves one step away from what is called “burn out”. The saturnine umpire might blow his whistle and call time out for us in the form of illness, or some other crisis. Alternatively, we can ourselves become practitioners in the creative use of emptiness. We often feel that we haven’t got time. But in reality, the 30 (or 5 or 10) minutes you spend in this way, are 30 minutes (and more) that you could easily spend worrying about or struggling with something. If all else fails the whole thing could be done “homeopathically” in a couple of minutes. As teachers we need to be responsible about our inner health. It is not an optional extra. (That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!)

      That’s not to say that I myself meditate “religiously” every night, I don’t, not yet. And I do regularly get myself in a pickle because I forget how important it is for me. For myself I have learned to recognise that, at least at the moment, study is what does it for me. That is why I have taken the time to do this Holy Week study. The time it has taken is time that I theoretically do not have. If you saw the list of things I have to do in this two week break you would think I was mad to take so much time out. That is why the festivals are so useful, because they come up and remind us that there is something beyond our daily concerns, there is something bigger and more important which we loose contact with at our peril. So I could have spent the week banging my head against a brick wall – not that there are many brick walls in Ireland! Instead I have taken the time to reconnect myself with the source. It hasn’t all been study and tapping at my keyboard. On Monday I visited the Burren with its eirie lunar landscpae. I have listened to the dawn chorus and gone running in the rain (although the rain wasn’t intentional!) We are blessed to have a labyrinth here in Mountshannon (based on the one in Chatres cathedral). I hadn’t walked it since New Year’s Day, I have walked it several times this week. There is also a tradition in our community of going up to the dolmen, up the mountain here, to watch the sun rise on Easter morning. And a beautiful sunrise it was too and I even heard a cuckoo!

    • Evert Hoff
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2006
        Hi,

        Please point me to texts where Steiner describes which beings did all the
        design work behind evolution. For example, the beings who designed the
        mechanisms by which plants and insects/birds interact to bring about
        cross-pollination.

        Thanks,
        Evert
      • Sue
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2006
          Hi Evert ..

          Try "Knowledge of Higher Worlds" or "Spiritual Hierarchies" or "Cosmic
          Memory " or "Cosmosophy ", or Lectures to the Workmen of the
          Goetheanum, or Bio-Dynamic Lectures, there are lectures here about
          bees, ... or "Behind the Scenes of External Happenings" .. "The Four
          Seasons and the Archangels ", in fact just about everything that you
          can pick up from Steiner, talks about the spiritual behind the
          material. The confusing part is knowing where to begin ... "plunge into
          the semblance". There is much to be found. Have you tried the Rudolf
          Steiner Archives?

          Good luck ... regards ... Sue.

          Also Stanley Messenger has an interesting essay on butterflies in the
          Glastonbury Archives. :)

          24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com
        • My2Cents
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2006
            Hello, Evert,

            There are very many sources from Steiner as Sue mentioned, but it seems to me certain works are perhaps a bit more specific on these points than some others. Among those I've profited greatly from regarding these aspects, are, off hand, Steiner's *Genesis*, *Man in the Light of Occultism, Theosophy and Philosophy* (10 lectures, Christiania, June, 1912) and *Cosmic Metamorphosis*, among many others. It seems to me there might also be something along these lines in his *The Effects of Occultism Upon the Etheric Sheaths of Man*.

            Blessings,

            My2Cents

              Please point me to texts where Steiner describes which beings did all the
              design work behind evolution. For example, the beings who designed the
              mechanisms by which plants and insects/birds interact to bring about
              cross-pollination.

              Thanks,
              Evert

              *******I don't think that's quite the case. The beings themselves strive to do this or that, to master certain tasks: the beings at the level of present-day plants, to be conscious of LIFE, the beings going through the stage of animals, to possess an image-consciousness, etc. Then, in the last world, the Old Moon, all this was imbued with wisdom by the Spirits of Wisdom. So, for instance, two kinds of beings sought particular things out of their natures, and through this being imbued with wisdom we now see a "symbiosis", a cooperation of two kinds of beings, like the insects with the plant kingdom. But it's not that they were "designed" that way (like a screwdriver to fit a screw) by a force outside them, not as I understand it. But it's a large subject, life and nature, evolution and "design."

              -starman
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2006

                There is an intelligent design in nature, created by supreme beings, that is encoded in the cellular structure and is pre-determined; and yet, as Starman said, we shouldn't ignore the fact that life forms have will; and that it is the ability of ours to will that continually alters our genetic program through the ages.  Any theory of evolution that does not at least include `the will' as a primary factor within evolvement is flawed and short sighted.  The Lamarckian revolt against Darwinism was based precisely on this argument--- not on the principles of "the survival of the fittest" or of "accidental selection."  In Darwinism, it is an accident that giraffes have long necks.  To Lamarck, giraffes evolved long necks because, on an unconscious level, through desire, they willed their necks to grow longer; food grew scarce and they needed to reach for food on the higher branches of trees in order to survive.  Through successive generations giraffes grew longer and longer necks.  The operatives in the American public school system repress the Lamarckian theory of evolution because it does not conform to the idea that we are shaped by our environment; in other words, it is non-Marxian.  It embraces self determination.

                I, for one, embrace the theory of evolution that involves all three evolutionary principles:  environmentalism (which says life forms are shaped by their environment), self determination (which says they are shaped by their will), and intelligent design (which says we were shaped by higher powers).  All three impulses are actively at work in shaping, not only man, but all life within our universe.  Call it the Goethian Theory of Evolution, if you will.

                Mathew Morrell

                www.kcpost.net

              • Evert Hoff
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2006
                  Hi Mathew,

                  The idea that the evolution of humans and animals is shaped by their will is interesting. I never considered this before - I just assumed that since we don't even understand how our bodies work and how to change them that we don't have influence over their evolution. But, we do have the ability to at least try to will changes to take place. The willing of humans and animals is maybe how humans and animals communicate to the higher beings or higher levels of our own beings who are able to change the designs of our bodies.

                  I just hope that the willing of humans doesn't have too much influence over our evolution, because both males and females are currently willing changes to their anatomy that will have humans looking very funny if it all actually started changing - we will start looking like giraffs but with different parts super-sized.

                  What's the difference between desiring something to change and willing the change into existence? Is it a different part of our souls that do willing instead of desiring? Do you think the beings who design bodies respond to desires expressed or only to willing by plants, animals and humans?

                  Evert

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2006

                    > I just hope that the willing of humans doesn't have too much influence over
                    > our evolution, because both males and females are currently willing changes
                    > to their anatomy that will have humans looking very funny if it all actually
                    > started changing - we will start looking like giraffs but with different
                    > parts super-sized.

                    The 'red light district' of the Internet bears that statement out.   Hubba hubba.

                    > What's the difference between desiring something to change and willing the
                    > change into existence? Is it a different part of our souls that do willing
                    > instead of desiring? Do you think the beings who design bodies respond to
                    > desires expressed or only to willing by plants, animals and humans?
                    >
                    > Evert

                    Strangely enough, the Wikepedia online encyclodpedia doesn't mention "the will" as an intricle element of Lamarckian evolution.  However Wikepedia doesn provide a descent background on the subject.

                    Lamarck developed two laws:

                    1. In every animal which has not passed the limit of its development, a more frequent and continuous use of any organ gradually strengthens, develops and enlarges that organ, and gives it a power proportional to the length of time it has been so used; while the permanent disuse of any organ imperceptibly weakens and deteriorates it, and progressively diminishes its functional capacity, until it finally disappears.
                    2. All the acquisitions or losses wrought by nature on individuals, through the influence of the environment in which their race has long been placed, and hence through the influence of the predominant use or permanent disuse of any organ; all these are preserved by reproduction to the new individuals which arise, provided that the acquired modifications are common to both sexes, or at least to the individuals which produce the young.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarck

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2006
                      Well one thing we do know, as occultist, is the effect that desire
                      has upon our etheric body---the body that is the most closely
                      connected to the physical body and all its processes, including the
                      genetic process involved in evolution.

                      All the thoughts and emotions that we will are recorded, via our
                      astral bodies, into our etheric bodies, almost as if the etheric body
                      was a very sophisticated recording device that works on an invisible
                      level. In fact, our entire life is recorded within the etheric body,
                      down to the minutest detail, every thought and emotion, everything
                      seen, touched, felt, heard. When a hypnotist is working on a subject
                      he is actually leading the patient into the psychic warehouse called
                      the etheric body. When people see their lives "flash before their
                      eyes" they're actually seeing a glimpse of their etheric body.

                      Therefore, thinking is not an isolated event. Every thought we
                      embrace creates a sort of ripple of energy within different levels of
                      our psyche. Because of the etheric body's close connection to the
                      physical body, these "ripples" of energy have a profound effect upon
                      our genetic structure and the way in which it encodes information.
                      When we actually produce a change in our DNA that change is passed
                      down to our succeeding generation. However, at this level, change
                      occurs very slowly. We must measure physical evolution in terms of
                      millions of years, and not life times, to see dramatic changes:
                      longer necks, longer legs, etc.

                      It's the sudden jumps in evolution that are un-accounted for by any
                      theory of evolution, be it Darwinism or Lamarckian evolution.

                      Mathew Morrell
                      www.kcpost.net