Maya

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2006
      It is not good enough to say the world is merely an illusion. We
      know that our perceptual abilities our flawed and that the five
      senses are woefully inadequate. But that doesn't mean the world is a
      lie. Western mysticism has always claimed that it is we ourselves
      who are caught in illusion and that we project our illusion upon the
      world. If we could truly see the world "as it is" we would realize
      that all things possess an inner and outer reality, both a spiritual
      and physical existence, and that only the outermost skin of reality
      is based on observation. The inner world is the thing in its self.

      To say the world is an illusion is the same as saying the world
      is "all in the mind" and that the mind is the only truth, but that
      this truth is only true to the individual. The mind-as-reality
      philosophy may be fashionable in new age circles, but it leads to
      serious pitfalls in spiritual understanding. Mind-as-reality is
      comparable it to be being trapped inside your own head, with no
      contact with the outside world. All you would see is images of the
      outside world projected into your mind like images on a television
      monitor. Eventually insanity would result.

      This is what Rudolph Steiner's biographer, Eduard von Hartmann,
      failed to realize. Stuck in a form of pseudo-Orientalism, he
      naturally assumed that the basis of Rudolph Steiner's philosophy was
      mind-as-reality and that all we see is an illusion. But nothing
      could be further from the truth.

      "I tried to show in my book that nothing unknowable lies behind the
      sense-world, but that within it is the spiritual world. And I tried
      to show that man's idea-world has its existence within that spiritual
      world. Therefore, the true reality of the sense-world remains
      hidden from human consciousness only for as long as man is merely
      engaged in sense perception." [from Steiner's biography]

      What Steiner taught is a merger between the sense world and the realm
      of ideas, and that to truly see things "as they are", as objective
      reality, we must have the experience of the idea. When a visionary
      sees a tree, for instance, he perceives the tree as an idea-form and
      not simply a chaotic reality of the senses. Then the true reality of
      the tree becomes apparent, beyond illusion.