the task ...

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006
      In the biographical notes of the 1910 publication of The Way of
      Initiation (the first half of Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and It's
      Attainment by Rudolf Steiner), Edouard Schure writes about
      Steiners meeting with his Master at age 19 ....

      Steiner's task ... "to conquer, or rather to tame and transform the
      great enemy, materialistic science, which is like a terrible dragon
      covered with it's carapace and couched on it's huge treasure ...
      how to master this dragon of modern science and yoke it to the
      car of spiritual truth ... and above all, how to conquer the bull of
      public opinion."

      He was told " If thou wouldst fight the enemy, begin by
      understanding him. Thou wilt conquer the dragon only by
      penetrating his skin. As to the bull, thou must sieze him by the
      horns. It is in the extremity of distress that thou wilt find thy
      weapons and thy brothers in fight. I have shown thee who thou
      art, now go - and BE thyself!"

      This is the measure for each of us. This too must be our task ...
      to know thyself AND to know thy enemy.