Eight maids a-milking

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2005
      I can't say as if I know what the 12 Holy Nights are, either. Does
      it have anything to do with the song, "The Twelve Days of
      Christmas"? The lyrics are below. :)

      The Twelve Days of Christmas

      On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      A partridge in a pear tree.

      On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
      Six geese a-laying,
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Seven swans a-swimming,
      Six geese a-laying,
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Eight maids a-milking,
      Seven swans a-swimming,
      Six geese a-laying,
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Nine ladies dancing,
      Eight maids a-milking,
      Seven swans a-swimming,
      Six geese a-laying,
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Ten lords a-leaping,
      Nine ladies dancing,
      Eight maids a-milking,
      Seven swans a-swimming,
      Six geese a-laying,
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Eleven pipers piping,
      Ten lords a-leaping,
      Nine ladies dancing,
      Eight maids a-milking,
      Seven swans a-swimming,
      Six geese a-laying,
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.

      On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
      Twelve drummers drumming,
      Eleven pipers piping,
      Ten lords a-leaping,
      Nine ladies dancing,
      Eight maids a-milking,
      Seven swans a-swimming,
      Six geese a-laying,
      Five golden rings.
      Four calling birds,
      Three French hens,
      Two turtle doves
      And a partridge in a pear tree.
    • My2Cents
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2005
        Dear Mathew,

        It seems to me the 12 Holy Nights are the 12 nights which fall in-between December 25, the approximate date for the birth of Jesus in the Manger, and January 6, the approximate date for the Christ's descent into the physical body of the Jesus as He was baptised by John in the River Jordan.

        Some of the Orthodox Christian sects celebrate January 6, rather than December 25, as being the date for the Birth of The Christ.

        The popular and ancient lyrics you so delightfully reminded us of perhaps symbolizes the quantity as well as the quality of the Twelve Holy Nights of Christmas via numbers in a way to bring truths for all to comprehend in olden days.

        My2Cents

        --- On Wed 12/28, Mathew Morrell < tma4cbt@... > wrote:

        I can't say as if I know what the 12 Holy Nights are, either. Does it have anything to do with the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas"? The lyrics are below. :) The Twelve Days of ChristmasOn the first day of Christmas my true love sent to meA partridge in a pear tree.On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to meTwo turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to meThree French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to meFour calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love sent to meFive golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to meSix geese a-laying,Five golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the seventh day of
        Christmas my true love sent to meSeven swans a-swimming,Six geese a-laying,Five golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to meEight maids a-milking,Seven swans a-swimming,Six geese a-laying,Five golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me Nine ladies dancing,Eight maids a-milking,Seven swans a-swimming,Six geese a-laying,Five golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to meTen lords a-leaping,Nine ladies dancing,Eight maids a-milking,Seven swans a-swimming,Six geese a-laying,Five golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to meEleven pipers piping,Ten lords
        a-leaping,Nine ladies dancing,Eight maids a-milking,Seven swans a-swimming,Six geese a-laying,Five golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree.On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to meTwelve drummers drumming, Eleven pipers piping,Ten lords a-leaping,Nine ladies dancing,Eight maids a-milking,Seven swans a-swimming,Six geese a-laying,Five golden rings.Four calling birds,Three French hens,Two turtle dovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree. ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Join modern day disciples reach the disfigured and poor with hope and healinghttp://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> Post to steiner@egroups.comSearch the archives of the group at:http://www.esotericlinks.com/egroupsearch.htmlRecommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:http://www.esotericlinks.com/steinerbooks.htmlommended books
        No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.