The Dead Sea Scrolls

  • Robin King
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2005
      I read with interest the article in the Files section "The Dead Sea
      Scrolls" by Frederick Hiebel. Could someone help to identify this
      article: where did it first appear and when? This is particularly
      relevant in the sense that the interpretation of some of the scrolls
      is decisively linked to the time-frame in which they were written.
      Hiebel has clearly taken as his starting point the assumption that
      "the scrolls could have been produced as early as 100 B.C". This was
      the view propounded by the scholars that made up the international
      team lead by Roland de Vaux. This team, working at the Rockefeller
      Museum in East Jerusalem, had almost exclusive control over a large
      proportion of the scroll materials for almost 40 years. A racy account
      of the machinations surrounding the work on the scrolls is given in
      "The Dead Sea Scrolls Deception" by Micheal Baigent and Richard Leigh.
      Nevertheless, there seems to be ample evidence that at least some
      of the (Qumran) scrolls can be dated as having been produced in the
      Christian era, in fact anytime as late as AD 66 - 73. This opens up
      quite new possibilities for interpreting such phrases as "the Teacher
      of Righteousness" - who might well be James the Just (or the
      Righteous),i.e., Jesus' brother.
      I have become very interested in the historical era in which Jesus
      lived, and in the following period in which the Pauline "impulse" and
      the other branches of Christianity became mutually separated, and in
      which the four Gospels (or early versions of them) were written down.
      Anyone read any books on this theme that can be recommended (apart
      from the NT, of course ;-)
      Greetings to all: keep well!
      Robin King
    • My2Cents
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2005
        Dear Robin,

        I believe this article may have first been published in an early 1970s "Anthroposophical Journal", although a prior printing may well have taken place elsewhere. It seems to me Hiebel, at the time quite elderly, was a wonderful and frequent lecturer as well as writer on Anthroposophical matters. It seems to me, also, Hiebel may have felt some connection between Jeshua ben Pandira [circa 100 B.C.] and the Leader spoken of in his article. Several years ago I noticed this writing available from, I believe, Anthroposophical Press but it may have been listed among one of the other Anthroposophical/Rudolf Steiner publishers.

        I am happy you find Hiebel's work of interest and I was amazed by his seemingly connecting the two Jesus children. I had investigated Burroughs [sic?] and others' work on the scrolls but Hiebel's indepth analysis and thoughtful connections always, for me, carried a deeply living Truth.

        My2Cents

[...]

        No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.