Soul/Calendar, Week 37 after Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005
      Sorry to be late with this week's calendar again. -starman

      The Calendar of the Soul

      Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative
      mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra
      on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of
      Steiner, but few know that the original "Calendar " ALSO had 12 Images
      of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of
      the solar forces in the cosmos, a listing of the Moon's phases &
      position in the signs each night for sensing the lunar forces, and a
      list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of
      events to contemplate on specific days. Here we present the
      "Soul-Calendar" restored to this complete form.

      constellation SAGITTARIUS from December 1st to Jan. 4th in our era. The
      symbolic image
      of the ARCHER from the original Soul-Calendar, done from sketches and
      indications of Steiner's and colored with the corresponding color, is
      in the groups Files section.

      This week's mantra.
      For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic
      path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken
      spiritual sight, and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual
      hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not
      important, but rather the reciting of it and entering with deeper
      soul-forces into its inner experience is what is essential Also, these
      mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in
      that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the
      original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go
      from English to German.

      * M A N T R A # 3 7 (WINTER) *
      Zu tragen Geisteslicht in Weltenwinternacht
      Erstrebet selig meines Herzens Trieb
      Dass leuchtend Seelenkeime
      In Weltengrunden wurzeln
      Und Gotteswort im Sinnesdunkel
      Verklarend alles Sein durchtont.

      "To carry Spirit-Light in World-Winter-Night,
      Strives joyfully my Heart's Drive
      That light-filled Soul-Seeds
      In World-Ground take root
      And God's Word in Senses' Darkness
      Makes clear all Being it resounds through."

      A partial interpretation:
      Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness (as opposed to Nature
      Consciousness) grows. Last week, this grew to the point where the
      divine world spoke in the soul's depths in a way that could be sensed
      through use of the mantra, saying that if our deeds would be filled
      with its Light, we could be its channels to others.
      This week, it plants luminous seeds in the soul for future work,
      and through the mantric work we can feel ourselves striving to carry
      these into the world, as light-beings carrying the Spirit into the
      darknesss of matter, so that the divine working through us enlightens
      it.

      The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along
      with some of the spiritual figures and events connected with the days.

      Sunday December 4th. Moon Aquarius. 1795 Thomas Carlyle died.

      Monday December 5th Moon Aquarius. 1791 Mozart died.

      Tuesday December 6th Moon Aquarius. Nikolaus (Legend: A father, on the
      way to Hunger and Poverty, was going to hand over his three daughters
      to shamefulness; Nikolaus discovered this and at night threw a bundle
      of gold through the man's window, enough to provide his three daughters
      with a dowry and for the man to live on. From this the tradition, that
      on this day we give gifts to children.) Max Muller the Orientalist born
      1833.

      Wednesday December 7th Moon Pisces. First German railroad opened 1835.

      Thursday December 8th Moon Pisces. First Quarter. Festival of the
      Conception of Mary (Remembrance of the conception without sin of Mary
      through her mother Anna). Herbert Spencer died 1903.

      Friday December 9th Moon Aries. Poet Milton born1608.

      Saturday December 10th Moon Aries. 1520 Luther burns Papal Bull.

      P.S. I found out while researching here at the Goetheanum that Steiner
      definitely intended the Soul-Calendar list of peoples' birth and
      death-days to be added to by we users, as I'd thought. So from now on,
      I'm going to add more recent people to it. Members of the list
      should feel free to do the same.

      THE PLANETS: Venus the "evening star" can be seen low in the Western
      sky for a short time after sunset, just above the setting sun.
      Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, now in its closest approach to earth,
      rises in the East at sunset, near the Pleiades. Saturn rises in
      the East about midnight, close to the bright 'twin' stars Castor and
      Pollux, the
      Twins of Gemini.