RE: [steiner] Holy Nights Study

  • Kathy Landes
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 24, 2005

      Hey Starman,

      When are you heading back to the States?

      How’s everything been going? Did you find some of that brilliant paint that we talked about? Have you been doing any veil painting?

      I’m really looking forward to participating in the Holy Nights Study. Have you gotten any suggestions yet?

      I will be nice to hear from you.

      Take care,

      Kat

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2006
        Well, there were 2 lecture cycles on the Gospel of St. John, both in 1908.
        The most well-known ones were in Hamburg, in May 1908 I believe. I think
        they are available to read for free on the Steiner e-library, and they're an
        excellent lecture cycle for beginners. I have them in English and also the
        German original. That would certainly be a good choice to study.

        Just a note the St. John lectures are free and online.  I printed them out about three or more years ago.  Not sure if you can still print them out though.  Its worth trying.  I studied these when I started in anthroposophy they are great for beginners.  ~Chantel

        "The genuine practitioners of the love of and the search for wisdom will be but a small remnant... Those who belong to this small class have tasted how sweet and blessed a possession of philosophy is." Plato, The Commonwealth IV
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 15, 2006
          *******Unfortunately I remembered wrongly that the lectures on the Gospel of
          St. John (Hamburg, May 1908) are at the Steiner e-library. They are not
          there.
          We did them for the 12 Holy Nights in 2000, but members put summaries of
          each chapter here, not the text. You can find these in the group's Files
          section, messages #320 forward: if people would still like to do that
          lecture cycle, it might be interesting to see what members wrote about them
          6 years ago. But the lectures themselves are apparently not online.

        • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
            In a message dated 12/15/2006 9:43:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, DrStarman@... writes:
            *******Unfortunately I remembered wrongly that the lectures on the Gospel of
            St. John (Hamburg, May 1908) are at the Steiner e-library. They are not
            there.
                We did them for the 12 Holy Nights in 2000, but members put summaries of
            each chapter here, not the text. You can find these in the group's Files
            section, messages #320 forward: if people would still like to do that
            lecture cycle, it might be interesting to see what members wrote about them
            6 years ago. But the lectures themselves are apparently not online.

            That is just not cool.  Because I read and printed them out about four or five years ago!  I have recently noticed how much is unavailable online to print as well.  It depends on donations etc.  You can read many online lectures on elib but you can not print them out anymore.  That is discouraging for the Holy nights study.  I don't know we'll have to see what happens with that...  Chantel

            Ask the wild bee what the druids knew. ~Old English Adage
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 21, 2006
              ******* This year the will for doing the study together seems to be
              evaporating like last year. We're supposed to start Sunday night and no one
              is talking about it, saying if they would take a chapter to present or how
              else we will do it together.

              The purpose is to use the 12 Nights to deepen our understanding of some
              aspect of Spirit Science. Here we have an international communication tool
              to use. If you live far from an anthroposophic community, here is a tool
              that can enable you to communicate with like minds.

              With all Dr. Steiner made available, and all the possibilities of
              communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything people
              want to come together to do?

              Type your favorite song.� Get a customized station.� Try MSN Radio powered
              by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 22, 2006
                --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...>
                wrote:
                > communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything
                people want to come together to do?
                > Starman
                Dear Starman,
                All we have of 1908 series is the file Holy Nights summary selections.
                Seems lectures are already summarized. Am looking forward to reading
                each one, each Holy Night and I'm sure others are too. Another
                available selection might have provided easier participation. I was
                not offering this yr since have not read enough core materials. Hope
                nothing I've written is "out of step" with the harmony we are aiming
                for with the holidays. NINA
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 22, 2006
                  ******* Well, it's easier when the book is online so everyone has a copy to
                  read. I'll try to post some summaries of chapters, and I guess besides that
                  and the summaries in our old Files section, folks will just have to each get
                  a copy of the book. That's Dr. Steiner's lectures on the Gospel of St. John
                  in Hamburg in May 1908. I have it in the original German and the English,
                  but I don't have time to scan it all in. But I'll make some time to start us
                  off, or rather those of us who receive the e-mails in real time, on the
                  first night.

                  >From: "Nina" <emeraldnina@...>
                  >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [steiner] Re: Holy Nights Study
                  >Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:52:27 -0000
                  >
                  >--- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...>
                  >wrote:
                  > > communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything
                  >people want to come together to do?
                  > > Starman
                  >Dear Starman,
                  >All we have of 1908 series is the file Holy Nights summary selections.
                  >Seems lectures are already summarized. Am looking forward to reading
                  >each one, each Holy Night and I'm sure others are too. Another
                  >available selection might have provided easier participation. I was
                  >not offering this yr since have not read enough core materials. Hope
                  >nothing I've written is "out of step" with the harmony we are aiming
                  >for with the holidays. NINA

                  Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
                  http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001