Soul-Calendar, Week 35 after Easter

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2005
      The Calendar of the Soul

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative
      mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra
      on Easter Sunday.

         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of
      Steiner, but few know that the original "Calendar " ALSO had 12 Images
      of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of
      the solar forces in the cosmos, a listing of the Moon's phases &
      position in the signs each night for sensing the lunar forces, and a
      list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of
      events to contemplate on specific days. Here we present the
      "Soul-Calendar" restored to this complete form.

      constellation SCORPIO from November 9th to 30th in our era. The symbolic image of the SCORPION from the original Soul-Calendar, done from sketches and indications of Steiner's and colored with the corresponding color, is below.

      This week's mantra.
         For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic
      path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken
      spiritual sight, and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual
      hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not
      important, but rather the reciting of it and entering with deeper
      soul-forces into its inner experience is what is essential Also, these
      mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in
      that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the
      original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go
      from English to German.

         *  M A N T R A  # 3 5  *
      Kann ich das Sein erkennen
      Dass es sich wiederfindet
      Im Seelenschaffensdrange?
      Ich fuhle, das mir Macht verlieh'n
      Das eigne Selbst dem Weltenselbst
      Als Glied bescheiden einzuleben.

      Can I so know Existence
      That it finds itself again
      In Soul's Creative Urge?
      I feel that Might is lent me
      For my Self to live at one with
      and be a modest instrument of the World-Self.

         A partial interpretation:
          Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness grows. Last week, we found
      within this growing self-consciousness the World's power flowing into deeds
      in such a way that the self could imprint its nature onto the world.
        This week, the soul seeks to so know the world that it is that world, not just the self, which works creatively in us; and we feel power lent us to so be one
      with the world.

         The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along
      with some of the spiritual figures and events connected with the days.

      Sunday, November 20th. Moon Cancer. Amos (the Prophet). 1497 Vasco de Gama circumnavigated the Cape of Good Hope. 1910 Tolstoy died.

      Monday, November 21st. Moon Leo. Festival of the Offering of Mary.

      Tuesday, November 22nd. Moon Leo. 1694 Voltaire born. Pres. Kennedy assassinated 1963.

      Wednesday, November 23rd. Moon Leo. Clemens (the companion of Paul).

      Thursday, November 24th. Moon Virgo. Last Quarter. 1632 Spinoza born.

      Friday, November 25th. Moon Virgo. 1814 the Physicist J. R. Mayer born.

      Saturday, November 26th. Moon Libra.

      P.S. I found out while researching here at the Goetheanum that Steiner
      definitely intended the Soul-Calendar list of peoples' birth and
      death-days to be added to by we users, as I'd thought. So from now on,
      I'm going to add more recent people to it. Members of the list
      should feel free to do the same.

      THE PLANETS: Venus the "evening star" can be seen low in the Western
      sky for a short time after sunset, just above the setting sun.
      Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, now in its closest approach to earth,
      rises in the East at sunset, near the Pleiades. Saturn rises in
      the East about midnight, close to the bright 'twin' stars Castor and Pollux, the Twins of Gemini.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007

        Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

        These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

        Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

        The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from December 1st to January 4th in our era.
        A version of a new symbolic image of the ARCHER (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

         *  M A N T R A  # 3 5  *

        Kann ich das Sein erkennen

        Dass es sich wiederfindet

        Im Seelenschaffensdrange?

        Ich fuhle, das mir Macht verlieh'n

        Das eigne Selbst dem Weltenselbst

        Als Glied bescheiden einzuleben.

        Can I so know Existence

        That it is found again

        In my Soul's Creative Urge?

        I feel that Might is lent me

        For my Self to live at one with

        and be a modest instrument of the World-Self.

            Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness grows. Last week, we found within this growing self-consciousness the World's power flowing into deeds in such a way that the self could imprint its nature onto the world. This week the soul seeks to so know the world that it is that world, not just the self, which works creatively in us; and we feel power lent us to so be one with the world.

        THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

        Sunday, December 2nd. Moon Virgo. Cortez d. 1547.

        Monday, December 3rd. Moon Libra.  St. Francis Xavier.

        Tuesday, December 4th. Moon Libra. Thomas Carlyle b. 1795. Galvani d. 1798.

        Wednesday December 5th. Moon Scorpio.  Mozart died 1791.

        Thursday, December 6th. Moon Scorpio.  Nikolaus (Legend: A father, on the way to Hunger and Poverty, was going to hand over his three daughters to shamefulness; Nikolaus discovered this and at night threw a bundle of gold through the man's window, enough to provide his three daughters with a dowry and for the man to live on. From this the tradition, that on this day we give gifts to children.)  Max Muller the  Orientalist born 1833.

        Friday, December 7th. Moon Sagittarius.  First German railroad opened 1835.

        Saturday, December 8th. Moon Sagittarius. Festival of the Conception of Mary (Remembrance of the conception without sin of Mary through her mother Anna).  Herbert Spencer died 1903.

        PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY:

           MARS rises in the East before midnight, to the left of the stars of Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, at its greatest brilliancy as it reaches opposition to the Sun over the next few months. During this time it will appear to stay in the same area of stars, as it does its 'retrograde loop': it will be back where it is right now, next to the stars at the foot of Castor (one of the Twins of Gemini) at the winter solstice, and there again at the vernal equinox. Mars will rise about an hour earlier each month, so it will be visible in the evening sky all winter.
           Just before sunrise, VENUS can be seen as a brilliant 'morning star' in the East, near the bright star Spica, the ear of corn held by the Virgin. Dimmer, yellowish SATURN is directly South, near the Lion's Heart, Regulus.
           The waning Moon can be seen near Saturn Sunday morning and near Venus Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

        Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Power up!
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2009
        • 1 Attachment
        • 240 KB
        The 'CALENDAR OF THE SOUL'
           Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from December 1st through January 4th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the ARCHER from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) is attached to this e-mail.

         *  M A N T R A  # 3 5  *

        Kann ich das Sein erkennen

        Dass es sich wiederfindet

        Im Seelenschaffensdrange?

        Ich fuhle, das mir Macht verlieh'n

        Das eigne Selbst dem Weltenselbst

        Als Glied bescheiden einzuleben.

        Can I so know Existence

        That it is found again

        In my Soul's Creative Urge?

        I feel that Might is lent me

        For my Self to live at one with

        and be a modest instrument of the World-Self.

        An interpretation based on working with the mantra.

           Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness grows. Last week, we found, within this growing self-consciousness, the World's power flowing into deeds in such a way that the Self could imprint its nature onto the world.

         This week the soul seeks to so know the world that it is that world, not just the
        self, which works creatively in us; and we feel power lent us to so be one
        with the world.

                THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

        Sunday, December 6th. Moon Leo. Nikolaus (Legend: A father, on the way to Hunger and Poverty, was going to hand over his three daughters to shamefulness; Nikolaus discovered this and at night threw a bundle of gold through the man's window, enough to provide his three daughters with a dowry and for the man to live on. From this the tradition, that on this day we give gifts to children.)
        Max Muller the  Orientalist born 1833.

        Monday,  December 7th. Moon Virgo.   First German railroad opened 1835.

        Tuesday,  December 8th. Moon Virgo.  Festival of the Conception of Mary (Remembrance of the conception without sin of Mary through her mother Anna).  Herbert Spencer died 1903.

        Wednesday,  December 9th. Moon Libra. Poet Milton born1608.

        .

        Thursday,  December 10th. Moon Libra. 1520 Luther burns Papal Bull.

         .

        Friday,   December 11th. Moon Scorpio.    1843 Robert Koch born.

        Saturday,   December 12th . Moon Scorpio.   Albrecht von Haller died 1777.

                                   ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *

        PLANETS in the Night Sky:  Jupiter is the bright 'star' in the southwestern sky from sunset till midnight, still ruling the night sky. Bright yellow-red Mars rises in the east about midnight. The moon is close to it Sunday & Monday nights.

        Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive gift. Click here to download.
        Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2010
        • 1 Attachment
        • 57 KB

            Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets in the night sky this week as well.

                                                               *******
                    THE ZODIAC IMAGE
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SCORPIO from Nov. 10th to 30th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the SCORPION from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) ----in an approximation of the color he said corresponded to the sign (one of 5 shades of purple we can't yet actually perceive) ---- is attached to this e-mail.

[...]

        Sunday, November 28th. Moon Virgo.   Feast day of Noah.

        Monday,  November 29th.  Moon Virgo. 1800 the Decimal system introduced in France.

        Tuesday,  November 30th. Moon Libra. 1756 The Physicist Chladni born.

        Wednesday,   December tMoon Libra. Longinus.

        Thursday,   December 2ndMoon Scorpio.  Cortez died 1547.

        Friday,    December 3rd. Moon Scorpio.  St. Francis Xavier.

        Saturday,    December 4th. Moon Sagittarius.  Thomas Carlyle born 1795. Galvani died 1798.

        ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:
        Brilliant white JUPITER is high in the south at sunset and may be seen in the southern sky all night long.

        Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 240 KB

           The mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets this week as well.

                THE ZODIAC IMAGE
            The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from Dec. 1st through Jan. 4th in our era. A version (done by Margot Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the ARCHER from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, a shade of magenta, is attached to this e-mail.

[...]

        Sunday, December 18th. Moon Libra. Lamarck died 1829.

        Monday,  December 19th. Moon Libra.  Abraham.

        Tuesday, December 20th. Moon Scorpio. Ammon, Christian teacher of the 2nd century.

        Wednesday,  December 21st. Moon Scorpio.   Feast day of Thomas the "Doubting" Apostle.

        Thursday,  December 22nd. Moon Scorpio. Theodosius.

        Friday,  December 23rd. Moon Sagittarius.  Dagobert.

        Saturday,  December 24th. Moon Sagittarius. New Moon. Adam and Eve. 1st of 13 days of Christmas.

        ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:

            "Evening star" Venus can be seen low in the southwest at sunset. Jupiter is the bright "star" high in the southern sky from sunset till shortly before dawn.

        ******* PLANETS IN THE MORNING SKY:

        "Morning star" dim, reddish Mars rises about midnight and is visible directly south at sunrise.

        FOR THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE: Start with the 9th mantra today.

        Message 6 of 6 , Nov 24, 2013

               The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SCORPIO from November 10th through 30th in our era. A version (done by Margot Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the SCORPION from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, a shade of 'magenta' or purple we cannot yet see, is attached to this e-mail.

                                              * MANTRA # 35  *

          Kann ich das Sein erkennen

          Dass es sich wiederfindet

          Im Seelenschaffensdrange?

          Ich fuhle, das mir Macht verlieh'n

          Das eigne Selbst dem Weltenselbst

          Als Glied bescheiden einzuleben.

          Can I so know Existence

          That it is found again

          In my Soul's Creative Urge?

          I feel that Might is lent me

          For my Self to live at one with

          and be a modest instrument of the World-Self.

          An interpretation of this week's mantra: Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness grows.

          Last week, we found within this growing self-consciousness the World's power flowing into deeds in such a way that the self could imprint its nature onto the world.

          This week the soul seeks to so know the world that it is that world, not just the self, which works creatively in us; and we feel power lent us to so be one with the world.

          THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

          Sunday, November 24th. Moon Leo. Last Quarter. 1632 Spinoza born.

          Monday, November 25th. Moon Virgo. 1814 the Physicist J. R. Mayer born.

          Tuesday, November 26th. Moon Virgo.  Alexander.

          Wednesday,  November 27th. Moon Libra. 1701 Celsius born.

          Thursday, November 28th. Moon LibraFeast day of Noah.

          Friday  November 29th. Moon Scorpio. 1800 Decimal System adopted in France.

          Saturday,  November 30th. Moon Scorpio.   1756 The Physicist Chladni born.

          ******* PLANETS IN THE EVENING SKY:

             Venus is the bright white 'star' in the West at sunset. In the East, Jupiter rises next to the Twins about 11 P.M.