    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8 1:05 PM
      ******* Sorry this week's Calendar posting is late again. -starman

      The Calendar of the Soul

      Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative
      mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra
      on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of
      Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac,
      to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the solar
      forces in the cosmos, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the
      signs each night for sensing the lunar forces, and a list of dates of
      births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to
      contemplate on specific days. Here's the "Soul-Calendar" restored to
      this complete form.

      constellation LIBRA from October 13th to November 9th in our era.

      However we are unable to send the symbolic image of the SCALES from
      the original Soul-Calendar, done from sketches and indications of
      Steiner's and colored with the corresponding color, with this e-mail,
      due to the primitive internet connection here at the Goetheanum. :- (

      This week's mantra.
      For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic
      path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken
      spiritual sight, and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual
      hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not
      important, but rather the reciting of it and entering with deeper
      soul-forces into its inner experience is what is essential Also, these
      mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in
      that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the
      original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go
      from English to German.

      * M A N T R A # 3 3 *

      So fühl ich erst die Welt,
      Die ausser meiner Seele Miterleben
      An sich nur frostig leeres Leben
      Und ohne Macht sich offenbarend,
      In Seelen sich von neuend schaffend,
      In sich den Tod nur finden könnte.

      So feel I first the World,
      That without my Soul's Living-With it
      As itself but a frozen empty Life
      And without Power is revealed,
      In Souls themselves out of new shaping,
      In themselves alone can only find Death.

      This week's mantra:
      In the Autumn, we gradually gain greater Self-Consciousness rather than
      outer consciousness of external nature. Last week, we felt how our
      consciousness was now strong enough to gain clear insight into the
      Destiny (karma) events in our lives. This week, we reach the point in
      the growth of self-consciousness where we first feel detached
      completely from the outer world, and see that, without our soul's
      participation on it, it would be an icy, dead wasteland. And while we
      feel a strong urge to create some new life, we must see that, if we
      create what has meaning only for ourselves, it will likewise be dead.

      The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along
      with some of the spiritual figures and events connected with the days.

      Sunday, November 6th. Moon Capricorn. 1771 Senefelder, the inventor of
      Lithography, born.

      Monday, November 7th. Moon Aquarius. 1775 Goethe entered into Weimar.

      Tuesday, November 8th. Moon Aquarius. First Quarter. 1674 Milton died.

      Wednesday, November 9th. Moon Pisces. Day of Remembrance of 40 Martyrs,
      who because they refused to participate in a Feast to pagan gods, were
      murdered by the Langobards.

      Thursday, November 10th. Moon Pisces. 1483 Luther born. 1759 Schiller

      Friday, November 11th. Moon Aries. St. Martin's Day.

      Saturday, November 12th. Moon Aries. 1869 Maler Fr. Overbeck died.

      *******THE PLANETS: Venus the "evening star" can be seen in the West
      for a short time after sunset, just above the setting sun. The Moon
      passes by it Sunday night. Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, now in its
      closest approach to earth, rises in the East at sunset, near the
      Pleiades. Saturn rises in the East about midnight, close to the bright
      'twin' stars Castor and Pollux, the Twins of Gemini.

      Dr. Starman

      P.S. I found out while researching here at the Goetheanum that Steiner
      definitely intended the Soul-Calendar list of peoples' birth and
      death-days to be added to by we users, as I'd thought. So from now on,
      I'm going to add more recent people to it, and members of the list
      should feel free to do the same.