    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2005
      '''''' Sorry the Calendar is late again this week. Hello from the
      Goetheanum. -starman

      The Calendar of the Soul

      Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative
      mantras to
      enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us
      and in
      Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on
      Easter.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of
      Steiner, but
      the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be
      meditated with
      each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos),
      plus a
      listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for
      sensing the
      'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual
      figures
      and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the
      "Soul-Calendar"
      restored to this complete form.

      constellation
      LIBRA from October 13th to November 9th in our era. The symbolic image
      of
      the SCALES from the original Soul-Calendar, done from sketches and
      indications
      of Steiner's, colored with the corresponding color, is attached to this
      post.

      This week's mantra.
      For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic
      path uses
      symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual
      sight, and
      mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the
      words of
      a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and
      entering
      with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras
      were
      created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so
      learning an
      English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close
      to it in
      translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      * M A N T R A # 3 1 *

      Das Licht aus Geistestiefen,
      Nach aussen strebt es sonnenhaft:
      Es wird zur Lebenswillenskraft
      Und leuchtet in der Sinne Dumpfheit,
      Um Kräfte zu entbinden,
      Die Schaffensmächte aus Seelentrieben
      In Menschenwerke reifen lassen.

      The Light out of Spirit-Deeps
      Strives outwards like the Sun:
      It turns into Life-Will-Force
      And shines into the Senses' Dullness,
      The Powers to unbind,
      That Shaping-Might out of Soul-Drives
      In Man's Work will let ripen.

      An nterpretation of this week's mantra:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this
      growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from
      vagueness to certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakened fully.
      This week, the verse focuses our attention on the spiritual light of
      thinking and how it seeks to turn to the outer world, turning into
      will-forces for living and illuminating the otherwise dull
      sense-existence, and thus turning the blind urges of the soul into
      creatively-shaping forces.

      The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along
      with some of
      the spiritual figures and events connected with the days.

      Sunday, October 23rd. Moon Cancer. Ignatius.

      Monday, October 24th. Moon Leo. Last Quarter. Raphael (the Archangel).

      Tuesday, October 25th. Moon Leo. 1806 Max Stirner born.

      Wednesday, October 26th. Moon Leo. Thaddeus (found in Matthew's
      Gospel).

      Thursday, October 27th. Moon Virgo. Sabina.

      Friday, October 28th. Moon Virgo. Simeon and Judas (relatives of
      Jesus).
      1704 John Locke died.
      1466 Erasmus of Rotterdam born.

      Saturday, October 29th. Moon Libra. Narcissus.

      *******Venus the "evening star" can be seen in the West just above the
      sunset.
      Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, now in its closest approach to earth,
      rises in the
      East at sunset, near the Pleiades.