Re: [steiner] From Whence Does Thought Come ?

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10 5:30 PM
      Dear Gary,

      The basic reading from the Anthroposophical library, is founded on Dr Steiners' Philosophy
      of Freedom. He refers to it constantly and suggests that this is the one book that we should
      read alone. It is written in such a way , as Rita Stebbing says in the forward, that each thought
      develops out of the preceding thought, as a plant develops from the root via the stem to the leaf
      and finally to the flower.

      Some quotations ...

      "The reason we do not notice thinking in everyday life is none other than it depends on our
      own activity. Things which I have not myself produced, enter my field of perception in the form of
      objects and events. I find myself confronted by them as something that comes into
      existence independently of me; it comes to meet me; I must accept it as a prerequisite for my
      thinking activity. While I reflect on a matter, I am occupied with it, my gaze is turned toward it
      in the activity of thinking contemplation. My attention is not turned toward my activity,
      but toward the subject of this activity. In other words, while I think, I do not look at my
      thinking, which I produce, but at the subject of thinking which I do not produce.

      Moreover, the same holds good when I place myself in the exceptional situation in which I reflect
      on my thinking; I can never observe the thinking in which I am actually engaged; only
      afterward can I make my experience of my past thinking the subject of my present thinking.
      If I wanted to observe my present thinking, I would have to split my personality in two, one part
      to do the thinking, the other to watch it being done. That I cannot do; I must accomplish
      it in two separate acts. The thinking to be observed is always different to that which is actually
      produced."

      ...and further ...." For someone with the ability to observe thinking - and with goodwill every
      normally constituted person has that ability - it is the most significant observation he can make;
      what he observes is of his own creation, he is confronted by something which is not initially
      foreign but by his own activity. He knows how the thing he is observing comes into being; the way
      it functions is clear to him. He has found the secure point from which one can set out with well
      founded hope to seek explanations for the rest of the world's phenomena."

      The book is one that I would have to recommend if you want to understand thought ie. your
      own thinking. Best wishes.

      Peace and love .... Sue.