The Eternal Eye

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2005
      Sarah,

      Let me provide you with two answers for your 5 year old son.

      #1. Tell your son that there is no such thing as good and bad, that
      these are merely relativistic concepts that are open to individual
      interpretation. What's good for one person is bad for another. As a
      matter of fact, try eradicating all duality from your speech and
      thought process. Try to be open his mind to all ideas and all
      people. More importantly, replace the concept of good and bad
      with "shouldn'ts". You shouldn't hurt anyone. You shouldn't steal.
      You shouldn't kill. That way you'll create a child who'll grow up to
      be a universal thinker who's tolerant of all belief systems, and who
      recognizes that our ideas of morality are merely subjective and open
      to interpretation. When he turns 18 he can join the New Age movement
      and write syrupy books on globalism and ultra-tolerance.

      #2. But here is the best way to teach a 5 year old child morality.
      Teach morality in a simple, black-and-white manner that a 5 year old
      child can understand without getting confused. Make the concept of
      right and wrong, good and evil, seem as if they're principles etched
      into the universe. Tell him God sees all and knows all---even if no
      one else does. He is the eternal eye who watches our every action.
      Avoid relativism at all expense! Good is always good. Bad is always
      bad.

      In the future he'll be able to comprehend a more complex view of
      morality.