Cults

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      Kathy, I'm sorry to hear about your parents' current state. They've
      probably turned against you, and tried to make your feel guilty for not
      following their path through life. Their behavior---their sudden role
      reversals, the cutting of the hair---indicate deep psychological
      trouble. Don't ignore the signs.

      My guess is that they're church is actually a cult, if what you're
      telling me is true---and I don't doubt that it is. My stepfather was a
      Christian religious fanatic, and a complete lunatic in my opinion, whom
      I feared almost daily while growing up. It's very difficult being
      associated with these type of personalities because they're emotionally
      and mentally unstable, and need help. Everything you do is wrong,
      according to them.

      I would suggest finding material on cults, and researching the
      subject. Colin Wilson's book, "Rogue Messiahs," is a masterpiece on
      cult psychology. Ultimately, I hope your travails will be a learning
      experience that elevates your life to new levels of hope and
      acceptance. Eventually your parents will pull out of it.