That Boy's Got THEATER

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2005
      Perhaps it was the lack-luster rock band that I saw on Leno that
      reminded me this week how important the theatrical component is in
      music.

      Nothing is more important. A clear dividing line separates musicians
      capable of theater and those capable of merely playing; it is the
      division between genius and mediocrity. On one side of the dividing
      line was the scruffy, dirty-jean band I saw playing on Leno, whom
      totally lacked theater in their music and their performance. On the
      other side were the bands that I remember from my youth, whom I grew
      up with and saw perform live.

      Ozzy was more the man John Michael Ozbourne, when he performed. He
      was Ozzy! Kurt Cobain's music was more than a flashy, outward image
      to be flaunted on stage like a bad heavy metal act, ala Poison or
      Winger, or post Shout at the Devil Motley Crue. Cobain's music was a
      code of ethic to live by, an ideogy or even a religion, in the sense
      that punk rock was his theater of life.

      Theater is the elevation of the life impulse into a sphere of primal
      energies. Vitality is heightened. The senses expand. Immersed
      in "theater" you don't stand on stage and stare at your shoes. You
      stand on stage like a Shakespearean actor! You become the Ego of
      your music. If your music has no ego, keep it on the shelf where it
      belongs and spare us the agony of having to hear it.

      Theater is Jimi Hendrix, when you are without fear on stage.
      Theater is Eddie Van Halen's Eruption, when energy reaches beyond
      itself into the archetypal. Theater is vintage Metallica, where good
      and evil collide. Theater is Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden--- even
      Madonna, the Beatles, the Stones. Theater does not discriminate.
      Theater is being able to capture your story, your life, your destiny
      from the Akashic Ether and being able to translate it into music.
      Those are the melodies worth hearing.

      As Shaw wrote, great men are play actors in their own drama.
    • Kathy Landes
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2005

        Thank you Mathew! You are such a good writer. I can feel the passion as I read your post. In my past, I have worked as a stage hand in theatre and I can tell you there is definitely an exchange of energy between the audience and the performers.