Higher Consciousness Trance and Food

  • cherelle9
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2005
      I have studied a fascinating book on Tibetan shamanism that lists
      numerous Himalayan plants,reptiles, bird feathers, minerals...etc. that
      induce trance and allow the shaman to get information from spirit
      entities after eating them.

      Did Steiner ever promote this method of raising consciousness, or
      accessing other worlds?

      Thank you
    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2005
        Dear Cherelle9,

        To the best of my knowledge, Rudolf Steiner never "promoted" such
        practices, and especially because his pathway is one of clear
        consciousness and wide awake control of oneself at all times. Off
        hand, it seems to me he speaks about some mechanisms underlying
        perhaps similar practices in the first chapter [I think?] of his
        "Human and Cosmic Metamorphosis".

        Blessings,

        Sheila

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2005
          To the best of my knowledge, Rudolf Steiner never "promoted" such
          practices, and especially because his pathway is one of clear
          consciousness and wide awake control of oneself at all times. Off
          hand, it seems to me he speaks about some mechanisms underlying
          perhaps similar practices in the first chapter [I think?] of his
          "Human and Cosmic Metamorphosis".

          Blessings,

          Sheila

          On Aug 17, 2005, at 9:45 AM, cherelle9 wrote:

          > I have studied a fascinating book on Tibetan shamanism that lists
          > numerous Himalayan plants,reptiles, bird feathers, minerals...etc.
          > that
          > induce trance and allow the shaman to get information from spirit
          > entities after eating them.
          >
          > Did Steiner ever promote this method of raising consciousness, or
          > accessing other worlds?
          >
          > Thank you

          ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To attain any glimpse of higher worlds by using some
          substance, be it hallucinogenic plants or whatever, makes a person
          dependent on the substance---- or more accurately, on the spirit-being
          behind the substance.

          I think I can say that Steiner not only did not recommend any such
          methods, but specifically warned against any such use. He also said, as
          one of our central tenets, that anything gained through trance states
          is so mixed up as to be worthless, that it is a survival of a former
          primitive way of clairvoyance working which will disappear in the
          future, and that we are meant to develop completely conscious ways of
          getting psychic ability which will replace these old "atavistic" or
          throwback forms.

          Forget all such promised "shortcuts." Shamans today are the blind
          leading the blind.