Re: [steiner] Thule

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
      In a message dated 6/11/2005 10:33:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lilolemissy@... writes:

      >lilolemissy@... writes:
      >

      >>>Out of the Theosophical Society emerged a
      >splinter
      >>>group called The
      >>>German Order, which was a closed society composed
      >of
      >>>wealthy
      >>>businessmen and aristocrats who performed occult
      >>>rituals inspired by
      >>>Blavatsky disciple Von Liszt. The Thule Society
      >was
      >>>the Munich lodge
      >>>of the German Order, and its symbol was the
      >>>swastika.  Later it
      >>>morphed into the German Workers Party, headed by
      >>>Adolf Hitler.
      >>
      >>Mathew, it seems to me the Swatstika is a very
      >ancient
      >>Christian symbol .....
      >

      >******* I believe you mean Buddhist symbol? I don't
      >know of it as a Christian
      >symbol. But it may have been at some point, and I'd
      >be interested to know
      >when.
      >
      >  The "Hook-cross" was the symbol of the 4 Elements
      >in motion, as the cross
      >is the symbol of them at rest. The old Buddhist
      >symbol turned in one
      >direction, signifying withdrawing in contemplation
      >from matter or manifestation; the
      >Nazi Thule Group reversed it, meaning to plunge
      >deeper into matter.
      >-starman
      >

      >which was reversed [i.e. turned to>
      >>the reversed side, so to say] by Hitler et al. I
      >hope
      >>someone might have far more knowledge of this than
      >I.
      >>Among my gr-gr-great-grandmother's effects was a
      >>beautiful pure golden pin made sometime in the
      >1700's
      >>of just such a "backward turned" Swatstika.
      >>
      >>Blessings,
      >>
      >>Sheila

      umm - my old "backward turned" Swatstika could well
      have originated as Buddhist, although no one in the
      family seems to have realized it existed as such, or
      if they did, never mentioned it. This is interesting!
      It was given to me by Hawaiian relatives who's
      forefathers went to the "Sandwich Islands" [Hawaii] as
      Christian  missionaries around 1850 from Boston. I'll
      try to find out [tactfully] an exact origin more
      helpful. I've noticed many Buddhists on the islands
      but am lax in their history as relates to this symbol.

      I'm very glad you mentioned this, Dr. Starman! Surely
      somewhere Steiner refers to this symbol - maybe in his
      "Signs and Symbols" or somewhere. [...dusting off
      bookshelves yet again...:) ]

      Blessings,

      Sheila

      *******In fact, the original edition of Knowledge of the Higher Worlds (published as The Way of Initiation) had the Buddhist swastika on its cover. Some of the people trying to link Steiner to the Nazis reprinted a picture of that cover, heedless of the fact that it turned in the opposite direction.          -starman
    • Pierre Gringoire
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005

        > I think I've isolated the two occultists in pre WWII Germany most
        > responsible for laying the groundwork for the Nazi movement:
        > Blavatsky, unsurprisingly, and the other, a more conspicuous fellow
        > by the name of Von Liszt.

        > The idea that most
        influenced this man was Blavatsky's Aryan race theories.

        But was it Blavatsky?  The whole point about Blavatsky was that she was a conduit -- the vehicle through which other personalities could transmit certain knowledge to the wider world without their own identities being known.

        The use (and misuse) of Blavatsky makes her biography is one of the most fascinating of the Nineteenth Century.  C.G. Harrison and Steiner both pointed to the way she was used, for often questionable motives, by the different brotherhoods of the period.