Re: Links

  • bscaro
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
      Well, letters to Sievers about Reuss, then, I'll clarify that.

      But there's no conspiracy about this at all. I have no interest in
      proving anything about Steiner's OTO 'membership'.

      > > I for one do focus on things Steiner wrote, which obviously don't
      line
      > > up with your ideas about him, but there you go.
      > > But I don't think anyone's disputing that his letters to Reuss
      etc
      > > aren't BY him. If you are, I'd surely like to know. ....
      > >

      > *******Apparently you didn't see Joel's post giving the link to the
      web site
      > that settles the matter. So here it is again. It says there are no
      letters
      > from Steiner to this fellow.
      >

      > http://www.defendingsteiner.com/articles/rs-reuss.php
      >

      > Here's some excerpts from it:
      >
      > > "After decades of incomplete media reports and propaganda efforts
      by
      > > partial parties regarding Rudolf Steiner's alleged membership in
      Theodor Reuss'
      > > German lodge of the Ordo Templi Orientis, for the first time, the
      archive of
      > > Rudolf Steiner's probate opened its vault (for the book "Der
      Grosse Theodor
      > > Reuss Reader"), thereby giving historians the ammunition needed
      to finally put
      > > the matter to rest (extant are 4 letters of Reuss to Steiner and
      21 of Reuss to
      > > Marie von Sivers. Steiner's letters to Reuss are missing or never
      existed; 4
      > > drafts of Sivers to Reuss survive. Reproduced in "Der Grosse
      Theodor Reuss
      > > Reader" is the Contract, the Edict of Reuss to Steiner, and two
      letters
      > > concerning Franz Hartmann.)
      > > There is no evidence that Rudolf Steiner ever accepted anything
      from Theodor
      > > Reuss with the sole exception of Reuss's permission to use the
      term
      > > "Misraim". There exists no evidence nor any documentation which
      made Steiner a member
      > > of the Ordo Templi Orientis."
      > Koenig, Peter-R. "Rudolf Steiner and Theodor Reuss" The Ordo Templi
      Orientis
      <http://www.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/steiner.htm>.

      > Steiner's commentary on the issue as written in his Autobiography
      is also
      > interesting:
      >
      > > Even in this sphere we broke with the ancient traditions. Our
      work was
      > > carried on as work must be carried on if one investigates in
      spiritual-content in
      > > an original manner according to the requirements of full clarity
      in the
      > > mind's experience. The fact that the starting-point for all sorts
      of slanders was
      > > found in certain attestations which Marie von Sievers and I
      signed in
      > > linking up with the historic Yarker institution means that, in
      order to concoct
      > > such slanders, people treated the absurd with the grimace of the
      serious. Our
      > > signatures were given as a “form.” The customary thing was
      thus preserved. And
      > > while we were giving our signatures, I said as clearly as
      possible: “This is
      > > all a formality, and the practice which I shall institute will
      take over
      > > nothing from the Yarker practice.”
      >
      > It is obviously easy to make the observation afterwards that it
      would have
      > been far more
      > > “discreet” not to link up with practices which could later be
      used by
      > > slanderers. But I would remark with all positiveness that, at the
      period of my
      > > life here under consideration, I was still one of those who
      assume uprightness,
      > > and not crooked ways, in the people with whom they have to do.
      Even
      > > spiritual perception did not alter at all this faith in men. This
      must not be misused
      > > for the purpose of investigating the intentions of one's fellow-
      men when
      > > this investigation is not desired by the man in question himself.
      In other cases
      > > the investigation of the inner nature of other souls remains a
      thing
      > > forbidden to the knower of the spirit; just as the unauthorized
      opening of a letter
      > > is something forbidden. And so one is related to men with whom
      one has to do
      > > in the same way as is any other person who has no knowledge of
      the spirit.
      > > But there is just this alternative â€" either to assume that
      others are
      > > straight-forward in their intentions until one has experienced
      the opposite, or else
      > > to be filled with sorrow as one views the entire world. A social
      co-operation
      > > with men is impossible for the latter mood, for such co-operation
      can be
      > > based only upon trust and not upon distrust.
      > Rudolf Steiner, The Course of My Life.
      >
      > *******This is a group for the study of Steiner and his
      anthroposophy.
      > Any further attempts to link him to extraneous and irrelevant other
      movements or
      > individuals for the purpose of implying their similarity, equality
      or even
      > that Steiner was derivative of them, will merely show that someone
      is not here
      > for the study of Steiner. They will then be invited to go elsewhere
      and start
      > their own group to study old rituals or secret societies or
      whatever it is they
      > really want to study.
      >
      > This thread is closed. New ones about Steiner and anthroposophy
      are
      > encouraged.
      >
      > -starman
    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005

        rhythm VS. routine question...

          I am a typically a lurker but I had an interesting conversation this
        evening that I would like some feedback on.Basically it started as
        strengthening the will forces.My take being that through rhythm (among
        other things) this is possible.The argument then went somewhat
        Castaneda as far as "routine" being binding and therefore rendering
        one inflexible.

          This may seem at first glance to be semantics but i would still
        appreciate input.I should also point out that I (like many others)
        have come to Steiner through Waldorf education.I have a mothers
        perspective but believe that with my attempt to establish rhythm in
        the household we have all benefited.Thank you for any input.

        Leslie Russell

        Dear Leslie,

        I'm not sure I have the knowledge to respond properly to your interesting inquiry, plus the fact that I may be misinterpreting your question. Please let me hear should I be misinterpreting? :)

        It seems to me this may involve the Will Exercise of the six "basic exercises", which, as you so rightly state above, is to strengthen the Will Forces of the Soul. I'm glad you brought this point up, and especially so since I've never connected this with inflexibility, although I should have. Until or unless I learn better, I'll assume this involves the planning ahead of time to perform a definite action every day at a specific time? If so, I've always understood the point of this method is, among other things, to train the human Will so that one doesn't vascillate, put off, forget to do this or that or to simply be "weak-willed". If that is the point of this Will Exercise, then it would seem that one must adhere to a predetermined action each day. It seems to me this would be incapable of inducing inflexibility, assuming one does this exercise as Steiner outlined, i.e.   including it along with the other soul exercises which gives a well rounded Balance. Perhaps this is what is missing in our conversation here? Balance?

        In regard to using rhythm for this Will Exercise, assuming this is indeed the goal in question, I wonder what effect rhythm would have on strengthening the human will? It seems to me a rhythmic approach could leave one without a "set goal", so to say, but more of a vascillation and unsteadiness of the will forces, thereby defeating the purpose of the exercise. Am I confusing my interpretation of rhythm [e.g. weaving, undulating, changing, etc.] with what is actually a different interpretation of rhythm?

        This is interesting! In all honesty, I was hoping one of the more advanced members of our group would respond, but for what it's worth, let's give my muddled reply a hearing with any needed corrections?

        Blessings,

        Sheila

      • classiquepair
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:

          > Classiquepair, would you be so kind as to post the
          > dates of these lectures? The Doppleganger...

          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:

          > Classiquepair, would you be so kind as to post the
          > dates of these lectures?

          Sure...seven lectures 15-25 November 1917.

          http://www.steinerbooks.org/detail.html?id=1855841622

          1. Knowledge ofthe Supersensible and Riddles of the Human Soul
          2. The Mystery of the Double: Geographic Medicine
          3. Behind the Scenes of External Events I
          4. Behind the Scenes of External Events II
          5. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant Foundation of the Universe I

          6. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant Foundation of the
          Universe II

          7. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant Foundation of the
          Universe III
        • classiquepair
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
            --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:
            > I do wonder who those 'nuts' might be, LOL.

            It's funny about these 'nuts'...once they get silly notions in their
            head, those notions, as unimportant as they might be, develop a life
            of their own.
          • LilOleMissy
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
              --- classiquepair <classiquepair@...> wrote:

              > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy
              > <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Classiquepair, would you be so kind as to post the
              > > dates of these lectures? The Doppleganger...
              >
              > Sure...seven lectures 15-25 November 1917.

              http://www.steinerbooks.org/detail.html?id=1855841622

              > 1. Knowledge ofthe Supersensible and Riddles of the
              > Human Soul
              > 2. The Mystery of the Double: Geographic Medicine
              > 3. Behind the Scenes of External Events I
              > 4. Behind the Scenes of External Events II
              > 5. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant
              > Foundation of the Universe I
              >
              > 6. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant
              > Foundation of the
              > Universe II
              >
              > 7. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant
              > Foundation of the
              > Universe III

              Thank you for going to so much trouble. I do have the
              St. Gallen lectures, and feel the second of those two
              to be the most informative regarding the Double. This
              doesn't detract from the first, however, which is also
              amazing! Now I'll have to scrounge to see about the
              others in this series! It seems to me that more and
              more often I find "rearranged series" of lectures, and
              that keeps us on our toes!

              Cheers!
              Sheila

              This message is composed of 100% recycled electrons.
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                In a message dated 6/3/2005 2:35:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, leslierussell1@... writes:

                rhythm VS. routine question...

                  I am a typically a lurker but I had an interesting conversation this evening that I would like some feedback on.Basically it started as strengthening the will forces.My take being that through rhythm (among other things) this is possible.The argument then went somewhat Castaneda as far as "routine" being binding and therefore rendering one inflexible.

                  This may seem at first glance to be semantics but i would still appreciate input.I should also point out that I (like many others) have come to Steiner through Waldorf education.I have a mothers perspective but believe that with my attempt to establish rhythm in the household we have all benefited.Thank you for any input.

                Leslie Russell

                *******I would say it's a question of consciousness and whether a pattern is internally or externally motivated. If we follow routines imposed on us by our society, our jobs, etc., we become like robots. But when we choose to take up a sequence of actions voluntarily that nothing compels us to do----like meditating regularly or doing things to celebrate the festivals/seasons, or anything that the external world doesn't impose----then we gradually establish a rythm which we have CHOSEN to establish. That's not a robotic routine but rather an ordering of the etheric body.

                   The rythmic system, the middle one, is the weak link in modern-day man. This is why our thinking pole and willing pole are so easily disconnected. Anything done to consciously establish rythms is healthful.

                -starman

                http://www.DrStarman.com
              • bscaro
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                  --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "classiquepair" <classiquepair@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:
                  > > I do wonder who those 'nuts' might be, LOL.
                  >
                  > It's funny about these 'nuts'...once they get silly notions in their
                  > head, those notions, as unimportant as they might be, develop a life
                  > of their own.

                  yep. that's why the correction of the stuff on amorc was necessary.
                  but i thought we'd ended this thread ?
                • classiquepair
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                    --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:

                    > Thank you for going to so much trouble. I do have the
                    > St. Gallen lectures...

                    Not a problem for me. I speedo type.
                  • classiquepair
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:

                      > yep. that's why the correction of the stuff on amorc was necessary.
                      > but i thought we'd ended this thread ?

                      Obviously not. But let's talk Steiner. I posted a few threads
                      here...what's your take the way Steiner uses the term 'moral impressions'?
                    • livinintheburbs
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Hi all, I am new to the list and was going back through some of the
                        posts to see what I could learn and saw this discussion of what
                        Steiner means by moral impressions or moral feelings. The following
                        is from his primer How to Know Higher Worlds where he addresses this
                        topic.

                        "Just as the sun's rays vivify everything living, so does reverence
                        in the student vivify all feelings of the soul. It is not easy, at
                        first, to believe that feelings like reverence and respect have
                        anything to do with cognition. This is due to the fact that we are
                        inclined to set cognition aside as a faculty by itself — one that
                        stands in no relation to what otherwise occurs in the soul. In so
                        thinking we do not bear in mind that it is the soul which exercises
                        the faculty of cognition; and feelings are for the soul what food is
                        for the body. If we give the body stones in place of bread, its
                        activity will cease. It is the same with the soul. Veneration,
                        homage, devotion are like nutriment making it healthy and strong,
                        especially strong for the activity of cognition. Disrespect,
                        antipathy, underestimation of what deserves recognition, all exert a
                        paralyzing and withering effect on this faculty of cognition. For
                        the spiritually experienced this fact is visible in the aura. A soul
                        which harbors feelings of reverence and devotion produces a change
                        in its aura. Certain spiritual colorings, as they may be called,
                        yellow-red and brown-red in tone, vanish and are replaced by blue-
                        red tints. Thereby the cognitional faculty is ripened; it receives
                        intelligence of facts in its environment of which it had hitherto no
                        idea. Reverence awakens in the soul a sympathetic power through
                        which we attract qualities in the beings around us, which would
                        otherwise remain concealed."

                        "If the attention be frequently fixed on the phenomena of growing,
                        blooming and flourishing, a feeling remotely allied to the sensation
                        of a sunrise will ensue, while the phenomena of fading and decaying
                        will produce an experience comparable, in the same way, to the slow
                        rising of the moon on the horizon. Both these feelings are forces
                        which, when duly cultivated and developed to ever increasing
                        intensity, lead to the most significant spiritual results. A new
                        world is opened to the student if he systematically and deliberately
                        surrenders himself to such feelings. The soul-world, the so-called
                        astral plane, begins to dawn upon him."

                        I'm happy to find this list and hope to have some enlivening
                        discussions about Steiner with you all.

                        Regards, Anne N.