Holy Nights Study

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 23, 2000
      Dear Friends,
      Today we are to begin our study, perhaps the first time this medium has
      been used for such an occult work. Later on today I will post my summary of
      the first of Dr. Steiner's lectures on the Gospel of St. John. For now, I
      would like to mention that you all should not pass by the introduction by his
      wife Marie. She had her own brilliance, and she puts into historical
      perspective so much of the work of the man so dear to her.

      Two final things: please remember that it is only what we are creative
      with that brings us forward, so feel free to draw or otherwise be creative
      with that which we study, and share with us in any way you desire. And, we
      have not chosen a verse to use together. There are several Christmas verses.
      There is also this one, for group study:

      From the luminous heights of the Spirit
      May God's clear light ray forth
      Into those human souls
      Who are intent on seeking
      The grace of the Spirit,
      The light of the Spirit,
      The life of the Spirit.
      May He live
      In the Hearts,
      In the inmmost souls
      Of those of us
      Who feel ourselves gathered together
      In His Name.

      (If we use this one, I can provide the original German for any who wish it,
      though I can probably get it for any number of others.)

      Dr. Starman

      Prepare to release the Spirit-Child within from the spell that has held it in
      its womb!
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 14, 2003
        ******* Just another reminder---- most people reckon that the 12 Holy Nights start on Christmas Eve, which is ten days from today. We still haven't even decided what to study together, and then once that's done, people usually choose chapters to present to the group.
            What I recommend is that we take a book that's available to read at the e-Library, so everyone "has" a copy to read. My preference is for the basic books and early lecture-cycles, especially when most people are beginners. The past few years we've taken the Philosophie der Freiheit, Christianity As Mystical Fact, and the lecture-cycle on the Gospel of St. John.

      • lilolemissy
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 14, 2003

           Holy Nights Study

          ******* Just another reminder---- most people reckon that the 12 Holy Nights start on Christmas Eve, which is ten days from today. We still haven't even decided what to study together, and then once that's done, people usually choose chapters to present to the group.
              What I recommend is that we take a book that's available to read at the e-Library, so everyone "has" a copy to read. My preference is for the basic books and early lecture-cycles, especially when most people are beginners. The past few years we've taken the Philosophie der Freiheit, Christianity As Mystical Fact, and the lecture-cycle on the Gospel of St. John.

          Dear Dr. Starman and Friends,

          I'm often posting something now and then and I truly hesitate to choose any given work, and I do agree one of the so-called basic books is an excellent choice. Too often many of us can be so spellbound into one or another facet of AP we sometimes miss out on the foundations of what AP truly is! As far as picking out THE work we should study, I feel ashamed to do so, having been on my soap box more than most. I don't want to suggest what lies within my own special interests, either, but perhaps a firm grounding on basic AP practice would do all of us good. I'll stick my neck out and suggest "Occult Science," "Knowledge of Higher Worlds", "A Path to Self Knowledge", "Threshold of the Spiritual World" or "Universe, Earth and Man".

          OK, Listmates! Let's vote and/or speak up for another work. :)

          Blessings to All,

          Sheila

        • Pierre Gringiore
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 15, 2003
            From Dr Starman:

            ******* Just another reminder---- most people reckon that the 12 Holy Nights start on Christmas Eve, which is ten days from today. We still haven't even decided what to study together, and then once that's done, people usually choose chapters to present to the group.
            *********

            Included as one of the basic AP lectures by Sheila was 'Universe, Earth and Man'.  This was also included under the astrology list supplied by Dr Starman.  I would like to make this my choice for the holy nights study.  I have not yet read it, and would therefore prefer not to present a chapter to the group.  (It takes me quite a while to 'ingest' the full meaning of any lecture or book by Steiner).
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 15, 2003
              In a message dated 12/15/2003 3:04:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, gringoire@... writes:

              ******* Just another reminder---- most people reckon that the 12 Holy Nights start on Christmas Eve, which is ten days from today. We still haven't even decided what to study together, and then once that's done, people usually choose chapters to present to the group.

              *********

              Included as one of the basic AP lectures by Sheila was 'Universe, Earth and Man'.  This was also included under the astrology list supplied by Dr Starman.  I would like to make this my choice for the holy nights study.  I have not yet read it, and would therefore prefer not to present a chapter to the group.  (It takes me quite a while to 'ingest' the full meaning of any lecture or book by Steiner).

              ******* It was given about the same time as, and is similar to, the lecture-course "Egyptian Myths and Mysteries."
              -Dr. Starman
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 22, 2003

                >  I haven't closed the poll yet, but Universe, Earth and Man has 3
                >votes while Egyptian Myths and Mysteries and Knowledge of the Higher
                >Worlds each have two.
                >   However, so little participation makes it unlikely we'd have
                >enough people to each take a chapter and present it, as is usual.
                >   This is a worldwide communications medium and almost 150 people
                >are interested enough in Steiner to be part of it. So where are you
                >all?
                >Starman
                >http://www.DrStarman.net

                sirius777@... writes:
                Hello Dr.  , group   =)
                I am 1 out of 150 people that until this group had never even known of
                R. S..  I am very thankful for the wealth of knowledge that is shared
                by you all, but I really don't feel i could handle presenting a chapter
                for the holy study. Being at a kindergarden level i found it even a tad
                bit scary to try and pick a topic for the poll.   ;-)
                so for the record there is definitely emotion in regards this study, it
                just seems i lack the intellect.
                anybody want to take an extra chapter for me!  ;-)  =)
                p.s.  my new cardboard sign reads:  "will work for Holy Nights Study"

                ********Well, that sounds fair enough. Why don't I close the poll tomorrow and then we'll have a go at it.
                   But remember, we are all beginners with this new kind of knowing!
              • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 23, 2003
                  I am here we just recovered from a computer crash.  I've been gone for two weeks and glad to be back.  I have read 6 lectures from Eygyptian myths, all on St. John and several others that you mentioned.  I am extremely delighted with the Eygptian lectures there is my vote.  Also, a quick question how do you present a chapter?  Excited, Chantel
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 23, 2003
                    In a message dated 12/23/2003 6:59:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, Cheeseandsalsa@... writes:

                    I am here we just recovered from a computer crash.  I've been gone for two weeks and glad to be back.  I have read 6 lectures from Eygyptian myths, all on St. John and several others that you mentioned.  I am extremely delighted with the Eygptian lectures there is my vote.  Also, a quick question how do you present a chapter?  Excited, Chantel

                    ******* Welcome back. There were the most votes, 4, for Knowledge of the Higher Worlds.
                    You present a chapter by reading it and explaining in your own words what you think it says.
                  • Sarah Ford Elliott
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 23, 2004
                      > "The Christ-Impulse and the
                      > Development of Ego-Consciousness" (7 lectures).

                      This might be a good one to take. It would allow us almost 2 nights per
                      lecture and therefore a more leisurely pace than in previous years.

                      Sarah FE
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 24, 2004

                        *******I had a similar thought.
                        www.DrStarman.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 24, 2004
                          ******* The Christ-Impulse and the Development of Ego-Consciousness (7 lectures) can be read online here:

                          http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/ChristEgo/ChrEgo_index.html

                          -starman
                          www.DrStarman.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 19, 2005
                               Just a reminder to the group that we traditionally take a book to study together over the 12 Holy Nights, and we haven't talked about it yet for this year. What might people like to study together? There are lots of Steiner's works available online at the Steiner e-library.

                                                                                                    Starman
                          • Kathy Landes
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 24, 2005

                              Hey Starman,

                              When are you heading back to the States?

                              How’s everything been going? Did you find some of that brilliant paint that we talked about? Have you been doing any veil painting?

                              I’m really looking forward to participating in the Holy Nights Study. Have you gotten any suggestions yet?

                              I will be nice to hear from you.

                              Take care,

                              Kat

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2006
                                Well, there were 2 lecture cycles on the Gospel of St. John, both in 1908.
                                The most well-known ones were in Hamburg, in May 1908 I believe. I think
                                they are available to read for free on the Steiner e-library, and they're an
                                excellent lecture cycle for beginners. I have them in English and also the
                                German original. That would certainly be a good choice to study.

                                Just a note the St. John lectures are free and online.  I printed them out about three or more years ago.  Not sure if you can still print them out though.  Its worth trying.  I studied these when I started in anthroposophy they are great for beginners.  ~Chantel

                                "The genuine practitioners of the love of and the search for wisdom will be but a small remnant... Those who belong to this small class have tasted how sweet and blessed a possession of philosophy is." Plato, The Commonwealth IV
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 15, 2006
                                  *******Unfortunately I remembered wrongly that the lectures on the Gospel of
                                  St. John (Hamburg, May 1908) are at the Steiner e-library. They are not
                                  there.
                                  We did them for the 12 Holy Nights in 2000, but members put summaries of
                                  each chapter here, not the text. You can find these in the group's Files
                                  section, messages #320 forward: if people would still like to do that
                                  lecture cycle, it might be interesting to see what members wrote about them
                                  6 years ago. But the lectures themselves are apparently not online.

                                • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
                                    In a message dated 12/15/2006 9:43:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, DrStarman@... writes:
                                    *******Unfortunately I remembered wrongly that the lectures on the Gospel of
                                    St. John (Hamburg, May 1908) are at the Steiner e-library. They are not
                                    there.
                                        We did them for the 12 Holy Nights in 2000, but members put summaries of
                                    each chapter here, not the text. You can find these in the group's Files
                                    section, messages #320 forward: if people would still like to do that
                                    lecture cycle, it might be interesting to see what members wrote about them
                                    6 years ago. But the lectures themselves are apparently not online.

                                    That is just not cool.  Because I read and printed them out about four or five years ago!  I have recently noticed how much is unavailable online to print as well.  It depends on donations etc.  You can read many online lectures on elib but you can not print them out anymore.  That is discouraging for the Holy nights study.  I don't know we'll have to see what happens with that...  Chantel

                                    Ask the wild bee what the druids knew. ~Old English Adage
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 21, 2006
                                      ******* This year the will for doing the study together seems to be
                                      evaporating like last year. We're supposed to start Sunday night and no one
                                      is talking about it, saying if they would take a chapter to present or how
                                      else we will do it together.

                                      The purpose is to use the 12 Nights to deepen our understanding of some
                                      aspect of Spirit Science. Here we have an international communication tool
                                      to use. If you live far from an anthroposophic community, here is a tool
                                      that can enable you to communicate with like minds.

                                      With all Dr. Steiner made available, and all the possibilities of
                                      communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything people
                                      want to come together to do?

                                      Type your favorite song.� Get a customized station.� Try MSN Radio powered
                                      by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
                                    • Nina
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 22, 2006
                                        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything
                                        people want to come together to do?
                                        > Starman
                                        Dear Starman,
                                        All we have of 1908 series is the file Holy Nights summary selections.
                                        Seems lectures are already summarized. Am looking forward to reading
                                        each one, each Holy Night and I'm sure others are too. Another
                                        available selection might have provided easier participation. I was
                                        not offering this yr since have not read enough core materials. Hope
                                        nothing I've written is "out of step" with the harmony we are aiming
                                        for with the holidays. NINA
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 22, 2006
                                          ******* Well, it's easier when the book is online so everyone has a copy to
                                          read. I'll try to post some summaries of chapters, and I guess besides that
                                          and the summaries in our old Files section, folks will just have to each get
                                          a copy of the book. That's Dr. Steiner's lectures on the Gospel of St. John
                                          in Hamburg in May 1908. I have it in the original German and the English,
                                          but I don't have time to scan it all in. But I'll make some time to start us
                                          off, or rather those of us who receive the e-mails in real time, on the
                                          first night.

                                          >From: "Nina" <emeraldnina@...>
                                          >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                                          >Subject: [steiner] Re: Holy Nights Study
                                          >Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:52:27 -0000
                                          >
                                          >--- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...>
                                          >wrote:
                                          > > communicating here with other anthroposophists, isn't there anything
                                          >people want to come together to do?
                                          > > Starman
                                          >Dear Starman,
                                          >All we have of 1908 series is the file Holy Nights summary selections.
                                          >Seems lectures are already summarized. Am looking forward to reading
                                          >each one, each Holy Night and I'm sure others are too. Another
                                          >available selection might have provided easier participation. I was
                                          >not offering this yr since have not read enough core materials. Hope
                                          >nothing I've written is "out of step" with the harmony we are aiming
                                          >for with the holidays. NINA

                                          Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
                                          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001