Links

    Message 1 of 20 , May 28, 2005
      A couple more Dr. Starman posts are floating in the rareified airs of
      the computer Net, after I posted them on my site. Please check them
      out when you get a chance. Here are the links.

      http://www.kcpost.net/EMW_RosicrucianOrders.htm

      http://www.kcpost.net/EMW_Schiavo.htm
      Message 2 of 20 , May 29, 2005
        In a message dated 5/28/2005 3:08:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, tma4cbt@... writes:

        A couple more Dr. Starman posts are floating in the rareified airs of
        the computer Net, after I posted them on my site.  Please check them
        out when you get a chance.  Here are the links.

        http://www.kcpost.net/EMW_RosicrucianOrders.htm

        http://www.kcpost.net/EMW_Schiavo.htm

        Thank you once again Matthew. I have some time now to do some needed editing of the collection you've been kind enough to make.

        Starman

        http://www.DrStarman.com
      • bscaro
        Message 3 of 20 , May 31, 2005
          [[Now, NONE of this from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries has ANYTHING
          to do with the various so-called "Rosicrucian Orders" set up in the
          20th century by dilettantes like Steiner copycat Max Heindel, or the
          other guys in California who created the one that advertises in the
          supermarket tabloids.]]

          Hmm, research indicates that the order that advertises in supermarket
          tabloids [AMORC] does have a link to the 18th century.

          I can supply the details of the chain of initiation, it is now in the
          public sphere.

          It seems likely that the founder of this group did have a connection
          via the members of a Toulouse group whose initiatic chain stretches
          back to Cagliostro.

          Fra Ben
        • classiquepair
          Message 4 of 20 , May 31, 2005
            I joined this group to explore Steiner's thought, not his possible
            links to the Illuminati, or whether he was the second gunman on the
            Grassy Knoll.
            Message 5 of 20 , May 31, 2005
              In a message dated 5/31/2005 9:07:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, classiquepair@... writes:

              I joined this group to explore Steiner's thought, not his possible
              links to the Illuminati, or whether he was the second gunman on the
              Grassy Knoll.

              *******At least now we know he wasn't Deep Throat.

              http://www.DrStarman.com
            • classiquepair
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
                I just bought a newer book of Steiner lectures that might interest the
                conspiracy nuts who post messages in this group about Steiner's links
                to...to...whatever.

                "Secret Brotherhoods and the Mystery of the Human Double."

                How's that?

                (Let's not tell these guys that they won't find what they think
                they're looking for in this book, but in the process they might
                actually read something BY Steiner instead of things ABOUT Steiner. ;) .)
              • LilOleMissy
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005
                  --- classiquepair <classiquepair@...> wrote:
                  > I just bought a newer book of Steiner lectures that
                  > might interest the
                  > conspiracy nuts who post messages in this group
                  > about Steiner's links
                  > to...to...whatever.
                  >
                  > "Secret Brotherhoods and the Mystery of the Human
                  > Double."
                  >
                  > How's that?
                  >
                  > (Let's not tell these guys that they won't find what
                  > they think
                  > they're looking for in this book, but in the process
                  > they might
                  > actually read something BY Steiner instead of things
                  > ABOUT Steiner. ;) .)

                  Classiquepair, would you be so kind as to post the
                  dates of these lectures? The Doppleganger is a
                  fascinating subject, and one I've encountered in my
                  career. Unfortunately, I've never been able to feel
                  I've ever had an adequate grasp, so to say, of this
                  Being. An added plus most definitely is that
                  apparently these lectures you mention are BY Steiner!
                  Hooray!!!!

                  Sheila

                  This message is composed of 100% recycled electrons.
                • leslie russell
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2005

                    rhythm VS. routine question...

                      I am a typically a lurker but I had an interesting conversation this evening that I would like some feedback on.Basically it started as strengthening the will forces.My take being that through rhythm (among other things) this is possible.The argument then went somewhat Castaneda as far as "routine" being binding and therefore rendering one inflexible.

                      This may seem at first glance to be semantics but i would still appreciate input.I should also point out that I (like many others) have come to Steiner through Waldorf education.I have a mothers perspective but believe that with my attempt to establish rhythm in the household we have all benefited.Thank you for any input.

                    Leslie Russell

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • bscaro
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                      I do wonder who those 'nuts' might be, LOL.

                      I for one do focus on things Steiner wrote, which obviously don't line
                      up with your ideas about him, but there you go.

                      But I don't think anyone's disputing that his letters to Reuss etc
                      aren't BY him. If you are, I'd surely like to know.

                      Expand the light, as they say . . . enquiring minds want to know.

                      Cheers

                      Fra Ben

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                        bscaro@... writes:

                        I for one do focus on things Steiner wrote, which obviously don't line
                        up with your ideas about him, but there you go.
                        But I don't think anyone's disputing that his letters to Reuss etc
                        aren't BY him.  If you are, I'd surely like to know. ....

                        *******Apparently you didn't see Joel's post giving the link to the web site that settles the matter. So here it is again. It says there are no letters from Steiner to this fellow.

                        http://www.defendingsteiner.com/articles/rs-reuss.php

                        Here's some excerpts from it:

                        "After decades of incomplete media reports and propaganda efforts by partial parties regarding Rudolf Steiner's alleged membership in Theodor Reuss' German lodge of the Ordo Templi Orientis, for the first time, the archive of Rudolf Steiner's probate opened its vault (for the book "Der Grosse Theodor Reuss Reader"), thereby giving historians the ammunition needed to finally put the matter to rest (extant are 4 letters of Reuss to Steiner and 21 of Reuss to Marie von Sivers. Steiner's letters to Reuss are missing or never existed; 4 drafts of Sivers to Reuss survive. Reproduced in "Der Grosse Theodor Reuss Reader" is the Contract, the Edict of Reuss to Steiner, and two letters concerning Franz Hartmann.)
                        There is no evidence that Rudolf Steiner ever accepted anything from Theodor Reuss with the sole exception of Reuss's permission to use the term "Misraim". There exists no evidence nor any documentation which made Steiner a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis."

                        Koenig, Peter-R. "Rudolf Steiner and Theodor Reuss" The Ordo Templi Orientis
                        Phenomenon. 8 Jan 2004 <http://www.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/steiner.htm>.

                        Steiner's commentary on the issue as written in his Autobiography is also interesting:

                        Even in this sphere we broke with the ancient traditions. Our work was carried on as work must be carried on if one investigates in spiritual-content in an original manner according to the requirements of full clarity in the mind's experience. The fact that the starting-point for all sorts of slanders was found in certain attestations which Marie von Sievers and I signed in linking up with the historic Yarker institution means that, in order to concoct such slanders, people treated the absurd with the grimace of the serious. Our signatures were given as a “form.” The customary thing was thus preserved. And while we were giving our signatures, I said as clearly as possible: “This is all a formality, and the practice which I shall institute will take over nothing from the Yarker practice.”

                           It is obviously easy to make the observation afterwards that it would have been far more
                        “discreet” not to link up with practices which could later be used by slanderers. But I would remark with all positiveness that, at the period of my life here under consideration, I was still one of those who assume uprightness, and not crooked ways, in the people with whom they have to do. Even spiritual perception did not alter at all this faith in men. This must not be misused for the purpose of investigating the intentions of one's fellow-men when this investigation is not desired by the man in question himself. In other cases the investigation of the inner nature of other souls remains a thing forbidden to the knower of the spirit; just as the unauthorized opening of a letter is something forbidden. And so one is related to men with whom one has to do in the same way as is any other person who has no knowledge of the spirit. But there is just this alternative – either to assume that others are straight-forward in their intentions until one has experienced the opposite, or else to be filled with sorrow as one views the entire world. A social co-operation with men is impossible for the latter mood, for such co-operation can be based only upon trust and not upon distrust.
                        Rudolf Steiner, The Course of My Life.

                        *******This is a group for the study of Steiner and his anthroposophy. Any further attempts to link him to extraneous and irrelevant other movements or individuals for the purpose of implying their similarity, equality or even that Steiner was derivative of them, will merely show that someone is not here for the study of Steiner. They will then be invited to go elsewhere and start their own group to study old rituals or secret societies or whatever it is they really want to study.

                           This thread is closed. New ones about Steiner and anthroposophy are encouraged.

                        -starman

                      • bscaro
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005
                          Well, letters to Sievers about Reuss, then, I'll clarify that.

                          But there's no conspiracy about this at all. I have no interest in
                          proving anything about Steiner's OTO 'membership'.

                        • LilOleMissy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 4, 2005

                            rhythm VS. routine question...

                              I am a typically a lurker but I had an interesting conversation this
                            evening that I would like some feedback on.Basically it started as
                            strengthening the will forces.My take being that through rhythm (among
                            other things) this is possible.The argument then went somewhat
                            Castaneda as far as "routine" being binding and therefore rendering
                            one inflexible.

                              This may seem at first glance to be semantics but i would still
                            appreciate input.I should also point out that I (like many others)
                            have come to Steiner through Waldorf education.I have a mothers
                            perspective but believe that with my attempt to establish rhythm in
                            the household we have all benefited.Thank you for any input.

                            Leslie Russell

                            Dear Leslie,

                            I'm not sure I have the knowledge to respond properly to your interesting inquiry, plus the fact that I may be misinterpreting your question. Please let me hear should I be misinterpreting? :)

                            It seems to me this may involve the Will Exercise of the six "basic exercises", which, as you so rightly state above, is to strengthen the Will Forces of the Soul. I'm glad you brought this point up, and especially so since I've never connected this with inflexibility, although I should have. Until or unless I learn better, I'll assume this involves the planning ahead of time to perform a definite action every day at a specific time? If so, I've always understood the point of this method is, among other things, to train the human Will so that one doesn't vascillate, put off, forget to do this or that or to simply be "weak-willed". If that is the point of this Will Exercise, then it would seem that one must adhere to a predetermined action each day. It seems to me this would be incapable of inducing inflexibility, assuming one does this exercise as Steiner outlined, i.e.   including it along with the other soul exercises which gives a well rounded Balance. Perhaps this is what is missing in our conversation here? Balance?

                            In regard to using rhythm for this Will Exercise, assuming this is indeed the goal in question, I wonder what effect rhythm would have on strengthening the human will? It seems to me a rhythmic approach could leave one without a "set goal", so to say, but more of a vascillation and unsteadiness of the will forces, thereby defeating the purpose of the exercise. Am I confusing my interpretation of rhythm [e.g. weaving, undulating, changing, etc.] with what is actually a different interpretation of rhythm?

                            This is interesting! In all honesty, I was hoping one of the more advanced members of our group would respond, but for what it's worth, let's give my muddled reply a hearing with any needed corrections?

                            Blessings,

                            Sheila

                          • classiquepair
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                              --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:

                              > Classiquepair, would you be so kind as to post the
                              > dates of these lectures? The Doppleganger...

                              --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:

                              > Classiquepair, would you be so kind as to post the
                              > dates of these lectures?

                              Sure...seven lectures 15-25 November 1917.

                              http://www.steinerbooks.org/detail.html?id=1855841622

                              1. Knowledge ofthe Supersensible and Riddles of the Human Soul
                              2. The Mystery of the Double: Geographic Medicine
                              3. Behind the Scenes of External Events I
                              4. Behind the Scenes of External Events II
                              5. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant Foundation of the Universe I

                              6. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant Foundation of the
                              Universe II

                              7. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant Foundation of the
                              Universe III
                            • classiquepair
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                                --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:
                                > I do wonder who those 'nuts' might be, LOL.

                                It's funny about these 'nuts'...once they get silly notions in their
                                head, those notions, as unimportant as they might be, develop a life
                                of their own.
                              • LilOleMissy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                                  --- classiquepair <classiquepair@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy
                                  > <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Classiquepair, would you be so kind as to post the
                                  > > dates of these lectures? The Doppleganger...
                                  >
                                  > Sure...seven lectures 15-25 November 1917.

                                  http://www.steinerbooks.org/detail.html?id=1855841622

                                  > 1. Knowledge ofthe Supersensible and Riddles of the
                                  > Human Soul
                                  > 2. The Mystery of the Double: Geographic Medicine
                                  > 3. Behind the Scenes of External Events I
                                  > 4. Behind the Scenes of External Events II
                                  > 5. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant
                                  > Foundation of the Universe I
                                  >
                                  > 6. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant
                                  > Foundation of the
                                  > Universe II
                                  >
                                  > 7. Individual Spirit Beings and the Constant
                                  > Foundation of the
                                  > Universe III

                                  Thank you for going to so much trouble. I do have the
                                  St. Gallen lectures, and feel the second of those two
                                  to be the most informative regarding the Double. This
                                  doesn't detract from the first, however, which is also
                                  amazing! Now I'll have to scrounge to see about the
                                  others in this series! It seems to me that more and
                                  more often I find "rearranged series" of lectures, and
                                  that keeps us on our toes!

                                  Cheers!

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                                    In a message dated 6/3/2005 2:35:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, leslierussell1@... writes:

                                    rhythm VS. routine question...

                                      I am a typically a lurker but I had an interesting conversation this evening that I would like some feedback on.Basically it started as strengthening the will forces.My take being that through rhythm (among other things) this is possible.The argument then went somewhat Castaneda as far as "routine" being binding and therefore rendering one inflexible.

                                      This may seem at first glance to be semantics but i would still appreciate input.I should also point out that I (like many others) have come to Steiner through Waldorf education.I have a mothers perspective but believe that with my attempt to establish rhythm in the household we have all benefited.Thank you for any input.

                                    Leslie Russell

                                    *******I would say it's a question of consciousness and whether a pattern is internally or externally motivated. If we follow routines imposed on us by our society, our jobs, etc., we become like robots. But when we choose to take up a sequence of actions voluntarily that nothing compels us to do----like meditating regularly or doing things to celebrate the festivals/seasons, or anything that the external world doesn't impose----then we gradually establish a rythm which we have CHOSEN to establish. That's not a robotic routine but rather an ordering of the etheric body.

                                       The rythmic system, the middle one, is the weak link in modern-day man. This is why our thinking pole and willing pole are so easily disconnected. Anything done to consciously establish rythms is healthful.

                                    -starman

                                    http://www.DrStarman.com
                                  • bscaro
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                                      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "classiquepair" <classiquepair@y...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:
                                      > > I do wonder who those 'nuts' might be, LOL.
                                      >
                                      > It's funny about these 'nuts'...once they get silly notions in their
                                      > head, those notions, as unimportant as they might be, develop a life
                                      > of their own.

                                      yep. that's why the correction of the stuff on amorc was necessary.
                                      but i thought we'd ended this thread ?
                                    • classiquepair
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                                        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:

                                        > Thank you for going to so much trouble. I do have the
                                        > St. Gallen lectures...

                                        Not a problem for me. I speedo type.
                                      • classiquepair
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                                          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:

                                          > yep. that's why the correction of the stuff on amorc was necessary.
                                          > but i thought we'd ended this thread ?

                                          Obviously not. But let's talk Steiner. I posted a few threads
                                          here...what's your take the way Steiner uses the term 'moral impressions'?
                                        • livinintheburbs
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 2 2:11 PM
                                            Hi all, I am new to the list and was going back through some of the
                                            posts to see what I could learn and saw this discussion of what
                                            Steiner means by moral impressions or moral feelings. The following
                                            is from his primer How to Know Higher Worlds where he addresses this
                                            topic.

                                            "Just as the sun's rays vivify everything living, so does reverence
                                            in the student vivify all feelings of the soul. It is not easy, at
                                            first, to believe that feelings like reverence and respect have
                                            anything to do with cognition. This is due to the fact that we are
                                            inclined to set cognition aside as a faculty by itself — one that
                                            stands in no relation to what otherwise occurs in the soul. In so
                                            thinking we do not bear in mind that it is the soul which exercises
                                            the faculty of cognition; and feelings are for the soul what food is
                                            for the body. If we give the body stones in place of bread, its
                                            activity will cease. It is the same with the soul. Veneration,
                                            homage, devotion are like nutriment making it healthy and strong,
                                            especially strong for the activity of cognition. Disrespect,
                                            antipathy, underestimation of what deserves recognition, all exert a
                                            paralyzing and withering effect on this faculty of cognition. For
                                            the spiritually experienced this fact is visible in the aura. A soul
                                            which harbors feelings of reverence and devotion produces a change
                                            in its aura. Certain spiritual colorings, as they may be called,
                                            yellow-red and brown-red in tone, vanish and are replaced by blue-
                                            red tints. Thereby the cognitional faculty is ripened; it receives
                                            intelligence of facts in its environment of which it had hitherto no
                                            idea. Reverence awakens in the soul a sympathetic power through
                                            which we attract qualities in the beings around us, which would
                                            otherwise remain concealed."

                                            "If the attention be frequently fixed on the phenomena of growing,
                                            blooming and flourishing, a feeling remotely allied to the sensation
                                            of a sunrise will ensue, while the phenomena of fading and decaying
                                            will produce an experience comparable, in the same way, to the slow
                                            rising of the moon on the horizon. Both these feelings are forces
                                            which, when duly cultivated and developed to ever increasing
                                            intensity, lead to the most significant spiritual results. A new
                                            world is opened to the student if he systematically and deliberately
                                            surrenders himself to such feelings. The soul-world, the so-called
                                            astral plane, begins to dawn upon him."

                                            I'm happy to find this list and hope to have some enlivening
                                            discussions about Steiner with you all.

                                            Regards, Anne N.