    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2005
      *******Sorry this week's mailing is late again.    -starman
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here is the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st to June 15th in our era. Here' the symbolic image of the BULL in the original Soul-Calendar:

      This week's mantra.
      *    M A N T R A  #7 *
      Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
      Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
      Nun trete du mein Ahnen
      In deine Rechte kraftig ein
      Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht
      Das in der Sinne Schein
      Sich selbst verlieren will.

      My Self, it threatens to fly out,
      To World-Light mightily drawn.
      Now enter you, my foreboding,
      Into your rightful place forcefully,
      Restore for me Thinking's Might
      That in the Senses' Shine
      Would lose itself.

      A partial interpretation:  The weaving of the Sun in the growth of the plants reveals the Divine working. The past few weeks we can feel that spiritual essence working as being like our souls spread out in external space. But now the spiritual force of the light is so strong that we would dissolve into it--- so a feeling of apprehension about what is to come in the future grows in us, to keep us from being only in this present moment, preventing thinking from losing itself totally in the beauty of the senses.

      Sunday, May 8th.  Moon Taurus. New Moon. The Prophet Micah. H.P. Blavatsky died 1891.

      Monday, May 9th. Moon Gemini.  Schiller died 1805.
      Tuesday, May 10th. Moon Gemini.  Gordian.

      Wednesday, May 11th. Moon Cancer.  Otto von Guernicke (inventor of the air-pump) died 1686.

      Thursday, May 12th. Moon Cancer. Pancratius.

      Friday, May 13th. Moon Cancer.  Carl von Linne born 1707. Cuvier (the great natural scientist) died 1832.

      Saturday, May 14th. Moon Leo.   Boniface. Ludwig Bechstein died 1860.