RE: [steiner] riddle

  • eyecueco@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
      "Mathew Morrell" <tma4cbt@...> wrote:

      >Well, I still need help on the 4-dimensional tunnel riddle.  How
      >would you escape a tunnel in four space so that you can get home in
      >time to take your daughter to ballet class?

      Well, I don't think that there is a 4th dimension in terms of space/time.

      When I was teaching my students the Elements and Principles of Design
      and we can to the unit on Dimension I used to give the following example:

      1-D is like the singular point made when you make a dot on paper with
      a pen or pencil.
      2-D is what happens when you begin moving the pencil or pen on the paper
      3-D doesn't happen there, on the paper, because we are dealing with only
      the length and width (measurable length and width)of the moving line, and
      the paper.
      On 2-D space you can only create the 'illusion' of some thing that is 3-D.
      But, take a book in your hand and you have 1-D and 2-D on the pages,
      i.e., measurable L + W + D.

      4-D could maybe be considered what happens in another orientation other than
      the 3-D world we live in, i.e., when we read the words on the pages we create
      anothe dimension that is mental. The 4th dimension would be mental navigation,
      not spatial.

      I'm not at all opposed to the idea of multiple, parallel universes, but, I think in
      terms of how the current string theory works these parallel universes would still
      be only manifested three dimensionally.

      Paulina

      Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.