riddle

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2005
      Well, I still need help on the 4-dimensional tunnel riddle. How
      would you escape a tunnel in four space so that you can get home in
      time to take your daughter to ballet class?
    • eyecueco@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
        "Mathew Morrell" <tma4cbt@...> wrote:

        >Well, I still need help on the 4-dimensional tunnel riddle.  How
        >would you escape a tunnel in four space so that you can get home in
        >time to take your daughter to ballet class?

        Well, I don't think that there is a 4th dimension in terms of space/time.

        When I was teaching my students the Elements and Principles of Design
        and we can to the unit on Dimension I used to give the following example:

        1-D is like the singular point made when you make a dot on paper with
        a pen or pencil.
        2-D is what happens when you begin moving the pencil or pen on the paper
        3-D doesn't happen there, on the paper, because we are dealing with only
        the length and width (measurable length and width)of the moving line, and
        the paper.
        On 2-D space you can only create the 'illusion' of some thing that is 3-D.
        But, take a book in your hand and you have 1-D and 2-D on the pages,
        i.e., measurable L + W + D.

        4-D could maybe be considered what happens in another orientation other than
        the 3-D world we live in, i.e., when we read the words on the pages we create
        anothe dimension that is mental. The 4th dimension would be mental navigation,
        not spatial.

        I'm not at all opposed to the idea of multiple, parallel universes, but, I think in
        terms of how the current string theory works these parallel universes would still
        be only manifested three dimensionally.

        Paulina

        Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.