RE: [steiner] Ijma

  • eyecueco@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2005
      "Mathew Morrell" <tma4cbt@...> wrote:

      >** In Islam we come across the term ijma.  Understood exoterically,
      >it means simply "consensus," a general agreement.  Yet anyone who's
      >studied Islam in depth will see that it means much more than that,
      >that it has deeper connotations that explain social, political and
      >religious realities in the Muslim world.  Ijma, "consensus" among
      >Muslims, is a law of infallibility.  Once a general consensus is
      >reached on Koranic teachings among the Ulama (the learned Muslim
      >class), this consensus cannot be altered, for ijma is synonymous
      >with God-ordained, an unchangeable conclusion.  To go against the
      >Ulma, therefore, and interpret the Koran as an individual thinker
      >(an ijtihad), is blasphemy.  Individual interpretations can only be
      >made about doctrinal matters where an ijma has not been formed.  As
      >Spengler notes, "If consensus is found, truth is establish.  Ijma is
      >the key of all Early Christian, Jewish and Persian Councils…."

      Well, Mathew,

      First of all, there is not agreement among the imams. The Shites and
      Sunnis have been at war since the death of Allah's grandson.

      Secondly, Islam is all about what Allah said, i.e.

      Ain't "consensus"grand!
      I especially love the Islamic imam line: "It is written".
      NOT!

      The problem is Islam is OT, borrowed directly from the OT,
      and now and trying to pull the whole world back to a stage of
      consciousness that was appropriate at the time of the OT, but,
      is _wrong_ for the task at hand.

      Here is a wonderful example of 'Ijima', alive and well in Saudi Arabia:

      February 20, 2005
      Letter 8 from Saudi Arabia
      The Price of Honor
      by R. F. Burton (Private Papers )
      You can find it at:

      http://victorhanson.com/

      Hope you will take the couple of minutes necessary to read it.

      Paulina

      Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.