Ijma

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20 8:28 PM
      **Good point Sarah, as always. As your reply implies, it might be
      nitpicking to blame the disunity among Muslims to the fact that
      there is no single, dominant, marginalized consensus in Islam,
      no "Catholic Church" to judicate sectarian differences; and that the
      internal strife is due to the doctrinal character of the Koran.
      Obviously, the issue is very complex.

      ** In Islam we come across the term ijma. Understood exoterically,
      it means simply "consensus," a general agreement. Yet anyone who's
      studied Islam in depth will see that it means much more than that,
      that it has deeper connotations that explain social, political and
      religious realities in the Muslim world. Ijma, "consensus" among
      Muslims, is a law of infallibility. Once a general consensus is
      reached on Koranic teachings among the Ulama (the learned Muslim
      class), this consensus cannot be altered, for ijma is synonymous
      with God-ordained, an unchangeable conclusion. To go against the
      Ulma, therefore, and interpret the Koran as an individual thinker
      (an ijtihad), is blasphemy. Individual interpretations can only be
      made about doctrinal matters where an ijma has not been formed. As
      Spengler notes, "If consensus is found, truth is establish. Ijma is
      the key of all Early Christian, Jewish and Persian Councils…."

      **A new face was put on the concept of Ijma in the 1800s, when Karl
      Marx developed the concept of The People: that infallible consensus
      composed of the working class. The Islamic idea of ijma and the
      Marxist ijma are interchangeable. Both are equally sadistic toward
      the non-consensus. "For those Rejecters we have prepared chains,
      yokes and a blazing fire." –The Koran.
    • eyecueco@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20 8:57 PM
        "Mathew Morrell" <tma4cbt@...> wrote:

        >** In Islam we come across the term ijma.  Understood exoterically,
        >it means simply "consensus," a general agreement.  Yet anyone who's
        >studied Islam in depth will see that it means much more than that,
        >that it has deeper connotations that explain social, political and
        >religious realities in the Muslim world.  Ijma, "consensus" among
        >Muslims, is a law of infallibility.  Once a general consensus is
        >reached on Koranic teachings among the Ulama (the learned Muslim
        >class), this consensus cannot be altered, for ijma is synonymous
        >with God-ordained, an unchangeable conclusion.  To go against the
        >Ulma, therefore, and interpret the Koran as an individual thinker
        >(an ijtihad), is blasphemy.  Individual interpretations can only be
        >made about doctrinal matters where an ijma has not been formed.  As
        >Spengler notes, "If consensus is found, truth is establish.  Ijma is
        >the key of all Early Christian, Jewish and Persian Councils…."

        Well, Mathew,

        First of all, there is not agreement among the imams. The Shites and
        Sunnis have been at war since the death of Allah's grandson.

        Secondly, Islam is all about what Allah said, i.e.

        Ain't "consensus"grand!
        I especially love the Islamic imam line: "It is written".
        NOT!

        The problem is Islam is OT, borrowed directly from the OT,
        and now and trying to pull the whole world back to a stage of
        consciousness that was appropriate at the time of the OT, but,
        is _wrong_ for the task at hand.

        Here is a wonderful example of 'Ijima', alive and well in Saudi Arabia:

        February 20, 2005
        Letter 8 from Saudi Arabia
        The Price of Honor
        by R. F. Burton (Private Papers )
        You can find it at:

        http://victorhanson.com/

        Hope you will take the couple of minutes necessary to read it.

        Paulina

        Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.