Re: [steiner] The Apadana of Darius and Xerxes

  • LilOleMissy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2005
      Thank you for your response, Mathew. I wonder if you might be familiar
      with any of Rudolf Steiner's work dealing with historical matters and
      especially that which deals with this particular period of the earth's
      evolution about which you've written?

      Sheila

      --Those who cannot hear the music think that the dancer is mad.

      On Feb 16, 2005, at 3:47 PM, Mathew Morrell wrote:

      I'm sorry, I can't provide any references for my last post. Here
      are the two points I made that might have needed a reference: 1)
      Islam saved the Arabic culture from pseudomorphosis. 2) Islam does
      not have a dominant branch capable of creating a marginalized
      consensus among its followers.

      As to the first point, for two thousand years preceding Islam, the
      kingdom of Babylon (in Persia) was prey to successive conquerors
      that included the primitive Ostrogoths, the Greeks, the Roman empire-
      --but more importantly, at the same time, they were penetrated
      culturally. If you look at the ancient ruins of pre-Islamic Persia,
      you'll see that Persia was a sort of cultural mid-point subject to
      higher cultures. Persia absorbed these cultures but without
      embracing them in an appropriate manner that would have allowed the
      Persian soul to connect with their culture spiritually or
      artistically. It was a classic case of pseudomorphosis, false
      change. On my Web site I wrote a short article on the Apadana of
      Darius and Xerxes, which is a Persian palace which represents a
      hodge podge of architectural styles, but contained nothing that
      could be called innately Arabic. The great Egypto-Chaldean Epoch in
      history, which gave birth to our Magian view of the universe, of the
      universe as a World Cavern penetrated by ultimate Good and Evil, was
      a dying force greatly reduced in prophetic power since
      Nebuchadnezzar. Before Islam, it appeared as if Persia might be left
      on the dust heap of history, its pantheon of gods having long since
      stiffened and petrified into rigid ceremony.

      Then came Islam, which was a rebirth of the Early Magian religions,
      that absorbed the Nestorians, Mazdaists, Manicheism into a single
      Persian form of worship.

      Yet, as to my second point, no dominant "approach" toward Islam has
      ever been announced, hence no church comparable to The Church of
      early Christianity.

      Here is the link to my article on the Apadana of Darius and Xerxes:

      http://www.kcpost.net/MM_Apadana.htm