Calendar of the Soul

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
      THIS WEEK’S SOUL-CALENDAR

      Here’s the Soul-Calendar verse for the 7th week after Easter, in German
      and English. The Soul Calendar of Spiritual Science is 52 meditative verses
      designed to enable one to experience the astral or soul events occurring both
      within us and in the astral “atmosphere” in the course of the year.

      * T H E M A N T R A *
      Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
      Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
      Nun trete du mein Ahnen
      In deine Rechte kraftig ein,
      Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht,
      Das in der Sinne Schein
      Sich selbst verlieren will.

      My Self, it threatens to fly out
      To World-Light mightily drawn.
      Now enter you, my foreboding,
      Into your rightful place forcefully,
      Restore for me Thinking’s Might
      That in the Senses’ Shine
      Would lose itself.

      * T H E W E E K *

      In addition to the mantrams, the first Soul-Calendar contained 12
      drawings of the zodiac to be meditated on to sense the working of the solar
      forces in the cosmos in the daytime, and the Moon's position in the
      constellations was given for each night, to sense the lunar forces. The Sun,
      according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Taurus from May 1st to
      June 15th in our era. The symbolic image of the constellation Taurus is
      attached to this post. The Moon positions and phases are listed below for
      each night, along with some of the birth & death days of famous persons
      published in the original ‘Seelencalendar’: their lives and contributions are
      fruitful material for contemplation on their days. I’m translating these to
      restore the Calendar to its intended use with the full spiritual/solar/lunar
      connections.

      SUNDAY June 4th. Moon Gemini. Karpasius.
      MONDAY June 5th. Moon Cancer. Boniface (the Apostle to Germany in the 8th
      century).
      TUESDAY June 6th. Moon Cancer. Julian the Apostate born 331.
      WEDNESDAY June 7th. Moon Leo. Lucian.
      THURSDAY June 8th. Moon Leo. Muhammed died 632.
      FRIDAY June 9th. Moon Virgo. Columban.
      SATURDAY June 10th. Moon Virgo. Onophrius.

      Anthroposophy is a Western path of knowledge which begins with the use of
      the logical mind, then an intensification process by use of visual images
      called "Imaginations", and reciting mantras which lead to "Inspirations."
      The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not the essential
      thing, but rather the repetitive recitation of them and entering with deeper
      soul forces into the inner experience of what is described. Also, these
      mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythm in it, so
      learning an English version is just a step to using the mantram in the
      original. (Chanting "the jewel in the lotus" is different from "Om mani padme
      hum.") Steiner spoke of how German had preserved words lost by other
      Indo-Aryan languages, and could be what Sanskrit was in olden times: the
      language in which spirit-truths are expressed. So in translating, I’ve tried
      to keep close to the original so that one can easily go from English to
      German.
      Dr. Starman*******
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2000
        THIS WEEK’S SOUL-CALENDAR

        Here is the Soul-Calendar for this 11th week after Easter; it has 52
        meditative mantras that enable one to experience astral/soul events occurring
        within in the course of the year. The verse is given in the original German
        and in English:

        Es ist in dieser Sonnenstunde
        An dir, die weise Kunde zu enkennen;
        An Weltenschönheit hingegeben,
        In dir dich fühlend zu durchleben:
        Verlieren kann das Menschen-Ich
        Und finden sich im Welten-Ich.

        It is in this sun-hour
        For you, the wise prophecy to know;
        To World-Beauty given over,
        Within you your feeling to experience:
        Man's I can lose itself
        And find itself in the World-I.

        Anthroposophy is a path of knowledge which begins with the use of the
        logical mind, which is then intensified by the use of visual images called
        "Imaginations" and reciting mantras which draws in "Inspirations." The
        meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not the essential thing,
        but rather the repetitive recitation of it and entering with deeper
        soul-forces into the inner experience of what is described. Also, the
        mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that,
        so learning an English version is just a first step to using the mantram in
        the original. (Chanting "the jewel in the lotus" is different from "Om mani
        padme hum," for example.) Steiner spoke of how German had preserved words
        lost by other languages, and could be for us what Sanskrit was in olden
        times: the language in which spirit-truths are expressed. So in translating,
        I’ve tried to keep close to the original, so that one can easily go from
        English to the original German.

        * T H E W E E K S P I R I T U A L L Y *

        In addition to the mantrams, the anthroposophical Soul-Calendar
        originally contained 12 drawings of the zodiac to be meditated on to sense
        the working of the solar forces in the cosmos in the day, and the Moon's
        position in the constellations was given for each night, to sense the lunar
        forces. The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Gemini
        from June 16th to July 20th in our era. A symbolic image of Gemini executed
        from sketches & indictations by him is attached to this post. The Moon
        positions and phases are listed below for each night, along with some of the
        birth & death days of famous persons published in the first ‘Seelencalendar’:
        their lives and contributions are fruitful for contemplation on their 'days'.
        I’m translating these to restore the Calendar to its intended use with the
        full spiritual/solar/lunar connections.

        Sunday July 2nd. Moon Cancer. 1778 Rousseau died.
        Monday July 3rd. Moon Cancer. Anatolius.
        Tuesday July 4th. Moon Leo. Ulrich.
        Wednesday July 5th. Moon Leo. Cyril and Methodius. Hosea (Prophet).
        Thursday July 6th. Moon Virgo. Hus born 1369; Hus burned at the stake 1415.
        1502 University of Wittenberg founded.
        Friday July 7th. Moon Virgo. Demetrius.
        Saturday July 8th. Moon Libra. First Quarter. Aquila and Priscilla.

        Dr. Starman*******
      • DocStarman@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 15, 2000
          Thought people might like to see what the original Soul-Calendar was
          like---see attached.

          Dr. Starman
        • jla
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 16, 2000
            Durwood,

            On second thought, this edition more than likely is not available but would you  have time to send a file containing all the symbolic pages?

            jeff

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 16, 2000
              pacbay@... writes:
              << Durwood,
              On second thought, this edition more than likely is not available but
              would you have time to send a file containing all the symbolic pages?
              jeff >>

              *******That page was the only one reprinted in the Beiträge zur Rudolf
              Steiner Gesamtausgabe.
              I have color copies of all 12 images done by Margaret Roessler from
              Imma's drawings (which in turn were based on Steiner's sketches &
              indications) and am scanning them in---as far as I know, the only source for
              the symbols.
            • Richard Distasi
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 13, 2001
                Starman, again thanks for reminding us that these mantras are very good exercises which allows one's own soul to follow the path of Christ out into the cosmos and back again within the course of the year.

                Rick Distasi

              • starmann77@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 13, 2001
                  radistasi@... writes:
                  << these mantras are very good exercises which allows one's own soul to
                  follow the path of Christ out into the cosmos and back again within the
                  course of the year. >>

                  *******Yes, for the Christ is connected with our whole experience of Time, as
                  becomes clear to any anthroposophist who uses the Foundation Stone mantra.
                • starmann77@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 16, 2001
                    Sorry to be a day late, but we are having technical problems. We'll also be
                    delayed in sending or posting the Zodiac images and even the info about the
                    days of the week. But here is the first mantra of the calendar, the Easter
                    mantra:

                    Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
                    Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn,
                    Und Freude aus den Seelentiefen
                    Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
                    Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hulle
                    Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
                    Und binden dumpf
                    Des Menschenn Wesen an des Geistes Sein.

                    When out of the World-Widenesses
                    The Sun speaks to Man's Senses
                    And Joy out of the soul's depths
                    The Light becomes one with in Vision,
                    Then is drawn out of Self-hood's sheath
                    Thinking into Space-distances
                    And binds dimly
                    Man's Essence and the Spirit's Being.

                    As I said, first I recommend you start memorizing the lines of either the
                    German (if you choose) or the English, so that you can recite it at will.
                    Take it one line at a time, then two lines, etc. You'll find that it has 4
                    groups of 2 lines each, with a mood to each. Think the thoughts and try to
                    picture what they describe with feeling. The Risen christ is the resurrected
                    Sun that now speaks; Joy rises from the deep within at Him, as the Egyptians
                    felt on seeing Aton or the sun-disc rise; then feel your thoughts drawn into
                    the wide universe; and meditate on what it means to say that in a hidden way
                    this effects a joining of your deepest inner essence to the World's Being.

                    Starman
                  • starmann77@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                      THIS WEEK'S SOUL-CALENDAR
                      Here's the Soul-Calendar for this 9th week after Easter; it has 52
                      meditative mantras that enable one to experience astral/soul events occurring
                      within and without in the course of the year. The verse is given in German
                      and English.

[...]

                      * M A N T R A # 9 *
                      Vergessend meine Willenseigenheit
                      Erfüllet Weltenwärme sommerkündend
                      Mir Geist und Seelenwesen;
                      Im Lichte mich zu verlieren
                      Gebietet mir das Geisteschauen,
                      Und kraftvoll kündet Ahnung mir:
                      Verieren dich, und dich zu finden.

                      Forgetting my Egohood's Will,
                      The World-Warmth, heralding Summer,
                      Fills my Spirit and Soul-Essence;
                      To lose myself in the Light,
                      The Spirit-Vision commands me,
                      And powerfully prophesies to me:
                      Lose yourself, and yourself you'll find.

                      This is the first verse of the year to speak of losing oneself in the light
                      and warmth of approaching summer.

                      * T H E W E E K S P I R I T U A L L Y *

                      In addition to the mantrams, the anthroposophical Soul-Calendar
                      originally contained 12 drawings of the zodiac to be meditated on to sense
                      the working of the solar forces in the cosmos in the day, and the Moon's
                      position in the constellations was given for each night, to sense the lunar
                      forces. The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Taurus
                      until June 15th and then Gemini from June 16th to July 20th (in our era). A
                      symbolic image of Taurus executed from sketches & indications by the Doctor
                      is attached to this post. The Moon positions and phases are listed below for
                      each night, along with some of the birth & death days of famous persons
                      published in the first 'Seelencalendar': their lives and contributions are
                      fruitful material for contemplation on their days. I'm translating these to
                      restore the Calendar to its intended use with the full spiritual/solar/lunar
                      connections.

                      Sunday June 10th. Moon Aquarius. Onophrius.
                      Monday June 11th. Moon Aquarius. Last Quarter. Alexander the Great died 323 B.C. Roger Bacon died 1294.
                      Tuesday June 12th. Moon Pisces. Basilides.
                      Wednesday June 13th. Moon Pisces. Alfred.
                      Thursday June 14th. Moon Pisces. Basilius.
                      Friday June 15th. Moon Aries. Vitus.
                      Saturday June 16th. Moon Aries. Sun enters influence of GEMINI. Aurelius.

                    • starmann77@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                        And by the way, I uploaded the image of Taurus onto the web site for the group (finally figured out how to!) It said it would automatically send a message to everyone that a new file had been placed there, but I never saw one sent out.

                        Star Man
                      • Charlie Morrison
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16 3:33 PM
                          Hi Starman,
                          Is there some reason why you have stopped the weekly "Calendar of the Soul" posts.

                          warm regards,
                          Charlie.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
                            social_artist@... writes:
                            Dear Dr. Starman-
                            I have been unable to view the image of Gemini
                            attached to your calendar e-mails.  Do you happen to
                            know of a place I can go to find this?
                            Thank you for your vigilant diligence-
                            Yours-
                            George

                            *******I'm attaching it to this e-mail: we'll see if it goes through. I could put it in the group's files too, but am having trouble getting in to the archives---some problem with Yahoo!

                            P.S.-  What interesting turns this newsgroup has
                            taken!  Discussions and angles being explored
                            different from what I had become accustomed.
                            Separated by continents and oceans, we are connected
                            along this web of cold light.  I continue to wonder
                            the tones we would make were we to find ourselves
                            eyes-to-eyes and faces-to-faces.  Thank you to all for
                            your questions and insights.

                            *******I hope this group may set a different tone than the other online groups, which often have discussions that few studying anthroposophy could even follow. While this form of communication is inhuman, it can be no more so than a book--- and, if we try to use it in a Michaelic way, perhaps can help individuals in their striving.

                            Dr. Starman

                            P.S. There was an error in this week's Calendar posting; the time for the Sun under the spiritual influence of Gemini is June 16th to July 20th in our era, according to the Doctor.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 6, 2003
                                 The "Calendar of the Soul"

                                Dr. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' , 52 meditative mantras, to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within and in Nature during the year. These are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
                                  Here's the whole 'Soul-Calendar' restored to how it was originally meant to be used.

                              This week and through April 20th we are  in a most interesting time, when the last verse of the 'Soul-Calendar'  has been reached, but it's still several weeks before we start with the first verse of the new, there being a late Easter this year. This whole time therefore falls into a time of the change from going out into the cosmos and then drawing in from it again, as can be experienced by meditatively working with the ending and beginning verses.

                              COMPARISON OF FIRST AND LAST VERSES
                              of the Calendar of the Soul

                              *******MANTRAM 52*******
                              Wenn aus den Seelentiefen
                              Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein
                              Und Schonheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,
                              Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen
                              Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber
                              Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,
                              Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

                              When out of the Soul's Deeps
                              The Spirit wends its way to World-Being
                              And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,
                              Then is drawn from farthest Heavens
                              The Life Force into human bodies
                              And there becomes one, mightily working,
                              The Spirit's Essence and Man's being.

                              *******MANTRAM # 1*******
                              Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
                              Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn
                              Und Freude aus den Seelenteifen,
                              Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
                              Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hulle
                              Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
                              Und binden dumpf
                              Des Menschen Wesen und des Geistes Sein.

                              When out of the Wide World
                              The Sun speaks to Man's Senses
                              And Joy out of Soul's Depths
                              Becomes one with Light in vision,
                              Then is drawn from the Ego's Sheath
                              Thinking into farthest Worlds
                              And joins, dimly,
                              Man's Essence and the Spirit's Being.

                                 This time of year we receive the Life Force from the returning Sun at Easter. The spirit within goes out into the universe and connects with that Source, from which the new life force will start flowing at Eastertide. Then we'll begin the Easter mood of 'resurrection' of our life forces, as, in our depths, our Spirit forms its annual connection with the Cosmos once again---after having withdrawn into the Earth in winter---and the etheric body is renewed through this connection to the World Spirit.

                                                      **********************************
                                   The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of PISCES from March 9th to April 13th in our era. A symbolic image of the Fishes done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

                              Sunday, April 6th. Moon Gemini.  Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon in 2nd century. Raphael born 1483. Dürer died 1528.

                              Monday,  April 7th. Moon Gemini. Egesippus (Christian writer of the second century in Rome).

                              Tuesday,  April 8th. Moon Cancer. First Quarter.  Wilhelm von Humboldt died 1835.

                              Wednesday, April 9th. Moon Cancer.  Mary Cleophas (who with Mary of Magdala and the Mother of Jesus in John's Gospel was present at the Crucifixion). Theophilus (Bishop of Alexandria in the 5th century). Francis Bacon of Verulam died 1626.

                              Thursday, April 10th. Moon Leo.  The Prophets Daniel and Ezekiel.

                              Friday, April 11th. Moon Leo.  Leo (Pope that turned back the wave of Attila from Italy).

                              Saturday, April 12th. Moon Virgo. Zeno.

                              *  M A N T R A  # 2 4  *

                              Sich selbst erschaffend stets,
                              Wird Seelensein sich selbst gewahr;
                              Der Weltengeist, er strebet fort
                              In Selbsterkenntnis neu belebt
                              Und schafft aus Seelenfinsternis
                              Des selbstsinns Willensfrucht .

                              In continually shaping one's Self,
                              Soul's Being becomes of itself aware;
                              The World-Spirit, it strives forward
                              In Self-Knowledge newly living
                              And shapes out of Soul-Darkness
                              The Self-sense's Will-Fruit.

                              Dr. Starman

                              P.S. The Moon will be seen close to the planet Saturn Monday night, April 7th, and near the planet Jupiter on Thursday night, April 10th.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                              • 1 Attachment
                              • 24 KB

                                  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets in the night sky this week as well.

                                                                                     *******
                                          THE ZODIAC IMAGE
                                 The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation PISCES from March 9th to April 13th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the FISHES from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) ----in an approximation of the color he said corresponded to the sign, one of 5 shades of  "purple" or magenta we can't yet actually perceive ---- is attached to this e-mail.

                               *  M A N T R A  # 5 2  *

                              Wenn aus den Seelentiefen

                              Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein

                              Und Schönheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,

                              Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen

                              Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber

                              Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,

                              Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

                              When out of the Soul’s Deeps

                              The Spirit winds its way to World-Being

                              And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,

                              Then is drawn from farthest Heavens

                              The Life Force into human bodies

                              And there becomes one, mightily working,

                              The Spirit’s Essence and Man’s being.

                                  The dark time of Winter ends, the Sun returns. We are drawn out of ourselves, to find our connection to the cosmos through the beauty of the senses in the outer world, and this begins the annual renewal of our life forces.

                                 The year from Easter to Easter is of uneven length because Easter is a movable feast, the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox. This year it comes about the latest it possibly can, April 24th. So we have now reached the 53rd week after last year's Easter. What I do is continue using the 52nd mantra until Easter comes again. At the Goetheanum, what they decided was to take the time from Easter to Easter and divide it by 52, but then we aren't actually using weeks of 7 days as a week is supposed to be. So it's up to individuals to decide. All of us will begin with mantra #1 on April 24th.

                                        THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

                              Sunday, April 3rd. Moon Aries. New Moon. The 3rd of April 33 A.D. Is what spiritual-scientific investigation shows as the day of Death of Jesus Christ.

                              Monday,  Aprll 4th.  Moon Taurus.
                              Bishop Ambrose died 398 (he by whom Augustine was baptized). University of Basel founded 1460.

                              Tuesday, April 5h. Moon Taurus.
                              Vincentius (Christian writer, died 1264). Volta died 1827.

                              Wednesday,   April 6thMoon Taurus. Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon in 2nd century. Raphael born 1483. Dürer died 1528.

                              Thursday,   April 7thMoon Gemini.  Egesippus (Christian writer of the second century in Rome).

                              Friday,   April 8th. Moon Gemini._Wilhelm von Humboldt died 1835.

                              Saturday,   April 9th. Moon Cancer.   Mary Cleophas (who with Mary of Magdala and the Mother of Jesus in John’s Gospel was present at the Crucifixion). Theophilus (Bishop of Alexandria in the 5th century). Francis Bacon of Verulam died 1626.

                              ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:

                              Dim, yellowish Saturn rises in the east shortly after sunset, amongst the stars of the Virgin.

                              ******* PLANETS IN THE MORNING SKY:
                              The brilliant "morning star" Venus is seen in the East every day before sunrise. Saturn is also still visible low in the southwest at the same time.